Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Went out hunting Friday afternoon and at about 6:30 I shot this buck http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r280/razorbackbowhunter/DSC_0273.jpg
the big 7pt. and hit him a little back, so i waited 20 min. climb down and go pick up the blood trail, then i backed out and went home to eat supper and give him some time since the shot was not perfect. well i went back about 8:30 and trailed him about 125 yard and the blood stops. I looked till 11:30 with no luck, went back this morning and looked by myself untill my brother and friend got off thier stands and came and help look. We stayed at it untill 12:30 and gave up. Where i was hunting it is real thick you could walk right by a deer and never see it. I'll keep my eyes out looking for buzzards and maybe i'll be able to at least get his rack. I'm sick over this i hate to loose a deer, i know it happens but that don't make it any easier.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
I Went out hunting Friday afternoon and at about 6:30 I shot this buck http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r280/razorbackbowhunter/DSC_0273.jpg
the big 7pt. and hit him a little back, so i waited 20 min. climb down and go pick up the blood trail, then i backed out and went home to eat supper and give him some time since the shot was not perfect. well i went back about 8:30 and trailed him about 125 yard and the blood stops. I looked till 11:30 with no luck, went back this morning and looked by myself untill my brother and friend got off thier stands and came and help look. We stayed at it untill 12:30 and gave up. Where i was hunting it is real thick you could walk right by a deer and never see it. I'll keep my eyes out looking for buzzards and maybe i'll be able to at least get his rack. I'm sick over this i hate to loose a deer, i know it happens but that don't make it any easier.

smokey,

I did the same thing in the 2006 season. I shot a nice 6 point making a rub, and heard him fall and waited 20 minutes. I jumped him up, and after tracking him over 2 miles, I lost all sign. We live and learn brother!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
man that stinks! it happens to everyone sooner or later, maybe you'll still find him and get the horns. not to change the subject, but holy mackerel what a spike in that picture:eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
man that stinks! it happens to everyone sooner or later, maybe you'll still find him and get the horns. not to change the subject, but holy mackerel what a spike in that picture:eek::eek::eek:
Yea, i call him super spike, he was with the 7pt. when i took the shot. He looks strange with those long spikes, another thing thats wierd about him his spikes are real dark, every other spike i have seen had light colored horns.

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,527 Posts
You shoulda tried a dog...even a house dog...they sometimes have a lotta attitude and aim to demonstrate their abilities especially little dogs!:wink:

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I really hate it for ya and know just how you feel. Had it happen to me on a doe opening morning. I got right up and and after her I went trailing. Well I pushed her and she kept going until she bled out and then went on and we lost her. This last 7point buck, I got him a little high and far back too. So I made myself set there for an hour and ten minutes before I ever got up. 15 Min. after I had shot him a coyote came through his same trail and stopped to smell the blood where I had shot the buck. I took a shot at him and missed then scared him good. That took up a little time while I was waiting. I know it's hard to wait but I found out the hard way that's what you need to do. Even if they go down you never know when they'll jump back up when you go to them. I hope you find your rack.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
wish you wouldv'e pm'd me. My little maybelle is 2 for 2 this year on her tracking. My wife missed a deer yesterday a.m. I am confident of that b/c took my tracking dog over and let her sniff out the area and she never got interested. She picked up on the deer scent but never ran them. I am very happy with her as she is just running blood, etc. and not just the deer scent. She is quiet on track and only whimpers with excitement when she is on one.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wish you wouldv'e pm'd me. My little maybelle is 2 for 2 this year on her tracking. My wife missed a deer yesterday a.m. I am confident of that b/c took my tracking dog over and let her sniff out the area and she never got interested. She picked up on the deer scent but never ran them. I am very happy with her as she is just running blood, etc. and not just the deer scent. She is quiet on track and only whimpers with excitement when she is on one.
:smack: i forgot about your post with your buck that she tracked, i wish i would have thought about it i would have gave you a call. Thanks for the offer, i'll for sure keep you in mind if it ever happens again.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Smokey, next time if you think you hit too far back wait 45minutes or so and then sneak out of the area as quietly as you can in the opposite direction the deer took. Gut shot deer will often bed within a short distance if not pushed. After 6 to 8 hours take up the blood trail. We've recovered about 65% of gut shots by doing it this way.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

hd

PS be ready for a follow up shot while blood trailing they might still be alive an need a follow up shot.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Wow nice lookin spike!!! I hate to hear you lost your deer. It sounds exactly what happened to me tonight with a doe. She was standing 8 yards under me and I shot heard the pop and was thinking I made a great shot. I got down found my arrow lots of bright red blood up and down the arrow along with brown and white hair. I picked up the blood trail about 20 minutes later due to it getting dark. I followed decent blood for about 150 yards and it dried up. I am going back in the morning to look some more. She was amped up when I shot, seems like they run farther if they are.

·
Registered
3 Posts
thats happened to me to.last season i shot a nice 10 point and looked all day and even into the next day.Put dogs on him but they lost his blood trail.This season we found him 30 yards in the other directoin of the way he ran.We found the rack and all of his bones about 7 months later.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Did the same thing this past weekend on a doe. Saw her lay down after the shot, then another deer came up and jumped her up. Trailed blood over 3-1/2 hours and then she vanished into the thickets and the blood was gone. Coyotes will dine good this week for sure. Those things happen.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Went out and walked the area again today hoping to see some buzzards or catch the smell but still no luck. I have been out every day since friday. I think the yotes may have pushed this deer because they were cutting up pretty good when i got to my truck to leave the area the night of the shot.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I shot a doe at 25 yards last week and hit her a little high and far back. I watched her run across and open clear-cut with my arrow sticking out of herfor maybe 400 yards. I gave her an hour and found my arrow in two pieces and immediately lost the blood trail after that. I looked until I was exhausted and returned after work the following day and never found her. Ive also never noticed buzzards in the area. Ive shot 3 deer like that high with a bow and Ive never found any of them. It happens but even realizing that I still hate to lose one and know it may linger and die a slow death.

·
Registered
11,495 Posts
Man I really feel for you. I shot a doe one time with my muzzleloader and watched her walk off toward a dry creek bed. She had to jump a fence too. We found alot of blood, but we never did find her. That has been 10-11 years ago and it still sticks in my craw. :banghead:

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Smokey, next time if you think you hit too far back wait 45minutes or so and then sneak out of the area as quietly as you can in the opposite direction the deer took. Gut shot deer will often bed within a short distance if not pushed. After 6 to 8 hours take up the blood trail. We've recovered about 65% of gut shots by doing it this way.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

hd

PS be ready for a follow up shot while blood trailing they might still be alive an need a follow up shot.
Huntindoc is right on the money. The main thing is not to bump the deer from that initial bed. As huntindoc says, a gut-shot deer will not go far before bedding down - usually less than 100 yards from where it was shot. That's why it is important to sneak out of the area. If left alone, it will die but it will take, 6 to 8 hours for that to happen. If you bump them, they can go for miles.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.