Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to figure out what kind of live bait to use for stripers. Fishing Lakes Ouachita and Hamilton the guides use the large Gizzard shad but I dont have access to them. Are there any alternatives to the shad? Any tips on striper fishing would be great I am planning a trip next month. Thanks

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Get a cast net and a round live bait bucket that you can keep cool. Go out on the water at night around lighted areas and look for Threadfin Shad. Cast the net in the schools and you will have all the bait you need. You have to keep them in a round bait container because those things swim in circles. If a square or rectangle live well is used they'll swim right into the sides and die shortly afterwards.

Stripers love them but they don't last long in water with depleted oxygen. Those blue oxy-tabs work well.

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,488 Posts
Less that 3" bream can be used for bait....a striper will nearly eat anything...including trout, but trout are not legal to use as bait. I caught one striper on a blue metal flake worm....I caught several on night crawlers fished on the bottom in current. But my all time favorite, is a 1/4 or 1/2 ounce white rooster tail....:wink:

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I am trying to figure out what kind of live bait to use for stripers. Fishing Lakes Ouachita and Hamilton the guides use the large Gizzard shad but I dont have access to them. Are there any alternatives to the shad? Any tips on striper fishing would be great I am planning a trip next month. Thanks
If you are going late next month, maybe the water will cool some and the stripers will come to the top. If you have downriggers or leadcore line, you can catch stripers on stickbait lures like Rattling Rogues or Tail Dancers. You can also use the 1/2 oz and 1 oz lead jigs with hyperstriper tails on them. I find blue and white seems to be the best color. If you do troll, go at a pretty good clip like 2 or 3 miles per hour. The trick here is to get the lures down at the 30-40 foot level where the water is cool enough to support stripers.

If you can catch the stripers up on top, the Zarra Spooks are great as well as throwing something like a big Kastmaster at them. Both of these lures are great because they cast like a bullet and will get you a lotta distance.

And if you know the lake fairly well, working the points at night with Rattling Rogues can be productive. We do a lot of that on Norfork in the Fall and again in the Spring. Caught my biggest (32 pounds) on a Rattling Rogue at 3 in the morning in May many years ago.

At any rate, lots of luck. I agree with Dirtdart that shad are tough to keep alive. It's easier in the Winter but in Summer, the warm water bumps them off quickly. In this area, you can buy big shiners which they sell for stripers so maybe they have them down that way also.

Cheers.....

·
Registered
212 Posts
Storm Swim Baits with lead core line. Early in the morning or right before dark. Being light sensitive they go deep when the sun is high. So downriggers are the key in the middle of the day. Also if the water temp drops enough they will hit topwater. That's the best action I know.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Get a cast net and a round live bait bucket that you can keep cool. Go out on the water at night around lighted areas and look for Threadfin Shad. Cast the net in the schools and you will have all the bait you need.
...just a word of warning, it is illegal to get bait @ night with a throw net...although that is the best time and easiest way to get shad...:smack:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Live bait alternatives

Get in your truck and head to Anderson Minnow Farm the day before you leave out or the day you go over to Ouachita/Hamilton. They can sell you some brooder size shiners or some of their Black Salties. These fish are similar in size to the shad many of the guides use and will hold up a little better under most conditions. I've heard some folks say that these bait fish don't catch as many as the gizzard shad, but I've also heard people sing their praises. That's my best advice if you want to stick with live bait.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Get in your truck and head to Anderson Minnow Farm the day before you leave out or the day you go over to Ouachita/Hamilton. They can sell you some brooder size shiners or some of their Black Salties. These fish are similar in size to the shad many of the guides use and will hold up a little better under most conditions. I've heard some folks say that these bait fish don't catch as many as the gizzard shad, but I've also heard people sing their praises. That's my best advice if you want to stick with live bait.

Where is Anderson Minnow farm? That might be easier then catching my own. Thanks for the help.

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,488 Posts
I used to snatch a treble hook through schools of shad...when I felt a shad connect, I'd let the line go slack so the shad would fall out of the school....big stripers sometimes lay just under schools and will readily grab a cripple. Great tactic when they are schooling!:up:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Check out my buddies from Hot Springs. They fish Greeson, not for from Hot Springs. Might want to go fish with them and see how they do it. They come to Little Rock to the AR river to net shad to fish with.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.