Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get my wife a good reliable ccw. I've been doing some research and the internal double action revolver seems to be a good fit for what I want for her. There is no hammer to snag coming out of her purse. With the double action only it would be a deliberate trigger pull. The revolver is a lot more fail safe and easier to use than a semi-auto. I'm looking for one chambered in .357. What are my options? I looked at S&W, but they seem real proud of their models in .357. I want one that is blued instead of something flashy.

· Registered
1,261 Posts
I want to say they were somewhere around $350 at Ft. Thompsons in NLR, but dont quote me on the price. You could probably call them and ask the price. They felt much better than the Smith that we picked up. I dont remember the model Smith we looked at.

· Registered
80 Posts
You might think of taking her to buy the gun let her see if it fits her hand also a small gun has a lot of recoil a mid size 9 like ruger sr9 is a great one. Find a indoor range and let her try several that way she will know if she will like it before you buy

· Registered
6,611 Posts
I have found with my wife that the larger cal. cc pistols are a little short on the handle for her to be comfortable with. Good advice on letting her try a few before making the big purchase. If it don't feel right she will never be comfortable caring it. An extended clip on a auto can make a big difference in the grip of the gun as well.

· Registered
9,289 Posts
Lotsa good advice on here so far. I'd add this: if you do end up going with the snubby revolver, forget the .357 mag and stick with .38 +P. Out of that short of a barrel, the .357 loses so much oomph that the .38 +P is almost as powerful. And it produces much, much less recoil, noise, and muzzle flash, all of which make it harder to hit what she's aiming at. And the .38's are generally shorter overall, plus being less expensive. Ammo's cheaper, too.

· Registered
9,349 Posts
I'm looking to get my wife a good reliable ccw. I've been doing some research and the internal double action revolver seems to be a good fit for what I want for her. There is no hammer to snag coming out of her purse. With the double action only it would be a deliberate trigger pull. The revolver is a lot more fail safe and easier to use than a semi-auto. I'm looking for one chambered in .357. What are my options? I looked at S&W, but they seem real proud of their models in .357. I want one that is blued instead of something flashy.

I have a Ruger SP101 .357 that fits your specs exactly (except they are stainless, and the hammer is bobbed instead of internal). You can borrow it to try if you like............

· Member Forum Sponsor 2011 Turkey Contest Winner
10,970 Posts
I bought my wife a .38 special S&W revolver. Internal hammer double action. She is small framed and this gun fit her well. She shot it 6 times and hated it...the button you push to release the cylinder cuts her thumb during recoil. I have shot it and it doesn't touch my thumb...just not holding it correct I guess. We bought it from Ft. Thompsons in NLR for $399 +tax. I live in searcy and work in north little rock..you are more than welcome to come let her fondle it and if you know a place to shoot she is more than welcome to shoot it. I might even sell it if she was interested in buying it. It's only had 50 rounds through it. Also...my wife shot a .45 semi auto and loved it much more than the revolver. I wanted her to have a revolver for fear of the semi jamming but she favored the semi recoil much more than the bluntness of the revolver recoil.

· Registered
335 Posts
i have a sp101 and they are great guns they shoot good and are medium in size and eat up the recoil of a full power 357 and they also make it in a 327 federal magnum that is a good shooter also just hard to find ammo for and it is kinda expensive my sp101 is a bobbed hammer and when i draw it i have never have had any snagging issues i shoot plus p's out of my sp101 some times and it really is a super shooter and very manageable with them. i dont trust my life on very many guns but my sp101 is the one i carry most and will continue to carry it

· Premium Member
11,478 Posts
I've got two SP101's, a .357 and a 9MM. Wife carries the 9 because she loves the way it shoots, and the full-moon clips make reloads much more faster and easier.

We stoke that 9 with +p rounds and the weight of the SP soaks the recoil up rather nicely, and the spousal unit can deal with it just fine. Now, the .357 is another story, but I like getting thumped a little!

They ain't light, though. Ruger builds 'em to last a while.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.