Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Good luck....been looking around myself but everyone thinks their six shooter is worth $750-$1000. I'm not interested in giving 30% more than a gun will be worth in six months. I came close on one from Cabela's used guns but missed it by hours.

·
Registered
406 Posts
It really depends on the gun... most used pistols are not worth the current asking price, but I would go 750 for a decent 4" S&W 686-4... but not a 6"

Of course it is probably a little overpriced but try and find one... the actual sold price is what someone who really wants it will pay, not the asking price...

·
Registered
5,513 Posts
Good luck....been looking around myself but everyone thinks their six shooter is worth $750-$1000. I'm not interested in giving 30% more than a gun will be worth in six months. I came close on one from Cabela's used guns but missed it by hours.
A 686 in excellent condition is worth $700+ especially the earlier no dash, dash-1, dash-2, dash-3 all day every day.
Where do you come up with $700 being 30% above value ? Those prices are what folks used to say about the Colt Snake revolvers and look at where their prices are now. If you find a good early model 686, 586, 681 or 581 I wouldn’t be be penny wide and dollar foolish.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I think he means the Tarus, Rossi, even some Ruger's of the world... not to mention all the other 3rd world brands. There are a lot of off-brand guns out there for top dollar... The Ruger SP101 are fine guns... but I consider them 2nd tier, price wise... IMO
guess i'm just a S&W fanboy...

·
Registered
455 Posts
Most brands of used shooter grade revolvers are above market value. If you want a specific model, dash or series then it would be worth more to you in that case. Older smiths have always had there own fan base but in todays market they are over priced. Start looking at the auction sites and notice how many auctions are closing with no bids. As an example, I've seen shooter grade S&W Models 64/65 listed for over $700......no way that is a realistic value to most people. I've been looking for a 4" .357 for several weeks but almost every one is overpriced if you want a shooter for carrying on the tractor. I want a revolver since I load my own snake shot and revolvers are easy to change to HP's if you need to shoot something bigger. I had a Model 64 but it's been on long term loan to my mother since we lost dad in March. And its not limited to just revolvers, I've seen a bunch semi-autos with crazy prices as well. As always it's worth what someone is willing to pay but I'll wait until I find a deal. Until then I guess my oldest Glock will have to work.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Smith and Colt revolver prices have gone nuts in my area recently. I don't recall seeing one under 1000 bucks for quite a while and they sell fast at those prices. :oops:

·
Registered
406 Posts
The stuff I see at gun shows and dealer cases are all $200-300+ overpriced. IMO a typical shooter grade S&W K frame under 95% is worth around 500-600 depending on exact model. N frames may go a $100 more. By shooter grade i mean 85-95% with blue wear at the muzzle, handling marks all over, some honest minor wear mechanically, maybe a burr on the side-plate where a shade tree gunsmith removed it to lookie-lou at the lockwork...

Guns from 95-98% are the 700-1000 guns... SS is harder to judge as it hides blemishes...
Then there are the collectible, rarities and unfireds for name-your-price. They don't make them anymore...
S&W is famous for it's minor varieties, so collecting can get expensive and confusing real quick. Other things come into play like box, grips and tools...

I have a almost perfect gold box for a 38/44 that I saw one very much like it go for $500 on ebay about 8 years ago- what do you figure that piece of cardboard is worth to the right person today? ... they'd have to buy my 1952 38/44 along with it...

·
Premium Member
3,365 Posts
The stuff I see at gun shows and dealer cases are all $200-300+ overpriced. IMO a typical shooter grade S&W K frame under 95% is worth around 500-600 depending on exact model. N frames may go a $100 more. By shooter grade i mean 85-95% with blue wear at the muzzle, handling marks all over, some honest minor wear mechanically, maybe a burr on the side-plate where a shade tree gunsmith removed it to lookie-lou at the lockwork...

Guns from 95-98% are the 700-1000 guns... SS is harder to judge as it hides blemishes...
Then there are the collectible, rarities and unfireds for name-your-price. They don't make them anymore...
S&W is famous for it's minor varieties, so collecting can get expensive and confusing real quick. Other things come into play like box, grips and tools...

I have a almost perfect gold box for a 38/44 that I saw one very much like it go for $500 on ebay about 8 years ago- what do you figure that piece of cardboard is worth to the right person today? ... they'd have to buy my 1952 38/44 along with it...
There is not a pistol in this market where everything is priced higher--That is not worth 30% more now than they were 1 year ago. Look at the cost of ammo. If you don't have ammo by now --you should have bought it in 2012 great prices then--Guns were also at a fine price back then also. ---But now you wont a---- Pistol just Pay the Money.----

·
Premium Member
3,365 Posts
$200 to $300 overpriced---If you wont a gun in the next 2 years you just need to pay the price.--Not saying you might find one lower just by chance.---But are you willing to wait 2 years??????????

1 - 16 of 16 Posts