Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a savage 110 long range hunter in 280AI. Its been on back order almost 3 months. I came across the browning x bolts rifles. The 2 models i am looking at.
X bolt hells canyon long range.
X bolt western hunter long range.
Both have 26 inch barrels. Both are [email protected] twist. Has muzzle brakes on them. I dont know anything about the x bolts. The savage is a [email protected] twist 26 in with muzzle brake. Going to load berger 168 to 195 gr.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
What is the improvement of the AI over the standard 270? I wonder if you can run the standard 270 brass through a 270 AI sizing die and make 270 AI brass like you can with other brass and calibers?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
What is the improvement of the AI over the standard 270? I wonder if you can run the standard 270 brass through a 270 AI sizing die and make 270 AI brass like you can with other brass and calibers?
280 AI is more common than standard 280, it gives you 7mm rem mag performance in a standard long action gun and for reloaders, the Ackley Improved version of cartridges nearly eliminates case trimming and typically gains about 200 FPS velocity over the parent cartridge. You have to fireform the brass, but, the parent cartridge can simply be loaded and fired in the ackley chamber with no issues. When it comes out, you have ackley brass.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I have a savage 110 long range hunter in 280AI. Its been on back order almost 3 months. I came across the browning x bolts rifles. The 2 models i am looking at.
X bolt hells canyon long range.
X bolt western hunter long range.
Both have 26 inch barrels. Both are [email protected] twist. Has muzzle brakes on them. I dont know anything about the x bolts. The savage is a [email protected] twist 26 in with muzzle brake. Going to load berger 168 to 195 gr.
I would think you would want the faster twist barrel to better stabilize the heavier bullets. The other advantage to the savage is a much easier barrel swap in the future if you plan on shooting the rifle much. I’ve also never seen a modern savage that wasn’t accurate out of the box, I can’t say that for brownings.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
280 AI is more common than standard 280, it gives you 7mm rem mag performance in a standard long action gun and for reloaders, the Ackley Improved version of cartridges nearly eliminates case trimming and typically gains about 200 FPS velocity over the parent cartridge. You have to fireform the brass, but, the parent cartridge can simply be loaded and fired in the ackley chamber with no issues. When it comes out, you have ackley brass.
Ok for some reason I wrote 270 but I meant 280. Thanks for the info. Sounds like it would be worth having for sure. I hunt with a 7 Mag but getting 7 Mag performance out of a standard rifle is a big plus.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its easy too fire for brass. Plus i bought up new and once fired 280AI brass. I like the browning little better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts