Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father and I are fairly new to turkey hunting. He's taken me a few times when I was younger and never got me on a bird. Well its been years since he last went and I want to take him somewhere to hunt this spring and try to get our first bird. Anyone know of areas to spend a weekend at? Anywhere North to central is fine. I've heard Ouachita is decent and that Winona is a headache.

I'm not looking for a 10 digit grid or anything, and neither one of us are afraid to strap up and walk. Just looking for an area to get our foot in the door.

·
Member<br>2017 Spring Turkey Contest Team Winner
829 Posts
I have personally never hunted Ouachita or Winona, but guys from my church hunt up there every year and manage to have success. I hunted Mt. Magazine one time, heard several birds. Not sure how far north you want to go. You are gonna have company were every you go.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I live right by Winona so I hunt it every year..I have never killed a bird but have managed to get them to come just out of range..a lot of times they r call shy and rarely hear them gobble

·
Super Moderator
7,070 Posts
I have personally never hunted Ouachita or Winona, but guys from my church hunt up there every year and manage to have success. I hunted Mt. Magazine one time, heard several birds. Not sure how far north you want to go. You are gonna have company were every you go.
This is a very good post and a lot of truth. Some areas have a few birds those areas will also have alot of hunters. Lack of birds and numbers of hunters plus late season dates is why I have sit out the last three years and will also sit out this year. Good luck this Spring.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
I would suggest you hunt Piney Creek or The Ouachita National forest.The guys around Russelville and Perryville arent very good turkey hunters so there should be an abundance of birds there. All of us who hunt north of there are turkey killers and long shot experts,If we cant kill him at eighty yards we will just cripple him up good. :sarcasm2:

·
Registered
14,733 Posts
I know lots of folks complain about Winona being crowded but I rarely bump into another hunter out there. BUT I also go and put in some listening time before season.

·
Registered
8,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know lots of folks complain about Winona being crowded but I rarely bump into another hunter out there. BUT I also go and put in some listening time before season.
I was thinking about doing some listening and try and locate some birds. Figured I'd bring a pack and hiking boots and take off Walking. When's do they start getting pretty vocal?

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
And play dumb if anyone asks if you heard one. You'll have 10 hunters on top of you if you tell.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
Gonna be 10 hunters on you regardless. I've had guys literally park 100 yards from me and be 50 yards from me in the woods at sunrise and then try and foot race me if we heard a vocal bird. I've hunted all over on public land including 5-6 different states and Winona is the worst I've seen

1 - 10 of 10 Posts