Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The past two weekends two of us from camp have been going down and getting things set up for archery season. Worked pretty hard week end before last, but last weekend we put three hard days in setting stands, checking cameras, and then tilling up food plots. We used a tractor with no reverse due to clutch problems and had to dig it out twice by hand, push it off the trailer and to attach implements and worked three days all day.

Used all the money I had to put in wheat, rye grain, oats, chicory and Austrian Winter Peas. After getting the lanes prepared the tractor completely crapped out and we pulled the drag by hand to cover the seed. At 60 I could definately tell I am not the man I once was, but it was still rewarding to do it the hard way. I then top dressed with five different types of clover.

This was down around Nashville and now the area is being completely deluged with Gustav rains. I don't think I will be able to afford to replant and wonder what will be the end result. The soil is very sandy and I am pretty well bummed. What is the chance that some of the seed will survive and germinate? I hope it is better than I think. :banghead:

Couple pics of one of the lanes and my saggy old arse pulling the drag Monday. The stand is at the top on the lane, with a feeder half way down.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Maybe it will be ok. If you get washed out, get a few bags of throw and grow. That stuff grows fast and no need for dragging. I've had great luck so far with it in an area where the loggers left the ground bare. Good Luck

·
Registered
466 Posts
You should be in good shape. It has rained a lot down here (not sure how much, my gauge was running over this morning and I know it has rained a couple inches since then) but it hasn't been the real hard washing type rains. I only live about 18 miles from Nashville and looking at the radar images it doesn't appear to be much different over there than here. I planted some clover this weekend and am sure glad I did.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The past two weekends two of us from camp have been going down and getting things set up for archery season. Worked pretty hard week end before last, but last weekend we put three hard days in setting stands, checking cameras, and then tilling up food plots. We used a tractor with no reverse due to clutch problems and had to dig it out twice by hand, push it off the trailer and to attach implements and worked three days all day.

Used all the money I had to put in wheat, rye grain, oats, chicory and Austrian Winter Peas. After getting the lanes prepared the tractor completely crapped out and we pulled the drag by hand to cover the seed. At 60 I could definately tell I am not the man I once was, but it was still rewarding to do it the hard way. I then top dressed with five different types of clover.

This was down around Nashville and now the area is being completely deluged with Gustav rains. I don't think I will be able to afford to replant and wonder what will be the end result. The soil is very sandy and I am pretty well bummed. What is the chance that some of the seed will survive and germinate? I hope it is better than I think. :banghead:

Couple pics of one of the lanes and my saggy old arse pulling the drag Monday. The stand is at the top on the lane, with a feeder half way down.
Nice spot

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
You should be alright. My food plot on the other hand is probably toast. It's in the Saline River bottoms and will probably be under water in a day or two. Three days work and a bunch of money down the drain!

Oh well the acorn crop should be good and that will help a lot.

hd

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.