Logging in White River Refuge

Discussion in 'Huntin' Dogs' started by Chad Doolin, Dec 5, 2012.

1. artomcaller

artomcaller Member<br>2010 Deer Hunting Contest Winner

2. englishdawgs

englishdawgs Well-Known Member

I have never hunted the white river refuge but hate to hear this. We are in the same situation up here only difference is its national forest. Want be any trees left for a coon to climb one day.

3. litlhitch

litlhitch Well-Known Member

This guy has hyped up everybody about some clear cutting that is HARDLY a clear cut. If trees are marked, IT IS NOT A CLEAR CUT! I know the white river bottoms and I know what they are doing and it's not a clear cut, it is a selective thinning 'wildlife cut'. My issues with this guys post:

1. He made a statement that the woods used to be so open and beautiful. I agree,open woods are pretty and you can shoot at an animal from a long way, but what good is 'open woods' to an animal other than an owl or hawk? What happens when there's a poor mast crop? There ain't JACK for an animal to eat in those 'open woods'.

2. Show me some 4-6 inch diameter oak trees in those 'open woods'. There won't be many,if any. Oaks need a lot of sunlight to regenerate and get into the mid story and over story, hence you have to make some sunlight hit the forest floor. So if you want your grand kids to have an oak forest,there needs to be a disturbance. Otherwise all you will get is a few big oaks to blow over and not allow enough sun to floor and all that will regenerate is 'junk'.

3. Green briar, honeysuckle, muscadine, and the undergrowth you will see for 8-10 years following a thin will be food for all kinds of wildlife. It may make it harder for someone to hunt but it is better for the critters.

4. An 800 acre thinning is a 'drop in the bucket' on a 160,000 acre landscape. It's not like they are thinning the entire refuge. Even if they were able to thin 2000 acres a year,you aren't even scratching the surface on those woods!

JMO. I could go on and on why a selective thinning is positive for the critters. It likely benefits way more critters than it harms.

4. Come to the woods I grew up in, Dale Bend Bottoms, and lets see what you think about what they said was gonna be thinning. Nothing but pines where it used to be oak ridges and tops from what they cut laying everywhere! Them white river bottoms have held plenty of critters for alot of years, don't need no help from no man with a saw!

5. Public Land

Public Land Well-Known Member

you tell them litlhitch! Open big timber is pretty but we need timber management. look up the problems that the liberal sukers out west create when they protest timber sales.