locating turkey?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by carbonelement, Jan 9, 2011.

1. I have descoverd that I have more than one flock of turkey on our land. I know where one flock is CURRENTLY. and have a pretty other idea where two others are. How can I get the turkey to talk so I can track them down and see where they are roosting at. I figure if I can find them now and keep tabs on them it will make finding them a little easier when its closer to season. Thanks in advance for the help and advice.

2. davglo35

davglo35 Super Member<br>2015 Spring Turkey Team Contest Wi

Turkeys will generally be in the same areas in the spring that they frequent in the fall. However, as the daylight begins to lengthen and the gobblers start to become a little romantic, the flocks will begin to split up and hens will become more solitary. In general, turkeys are more difficult to locate in the fall and winter months than they are in the spring.After they bust up the big flocks are spread out over a larger area and you will see turkeys almost anywhere in areas with a good population. My advice to you is to scout for spring gobblers from the fringes of good habitat. Don't drive your vehicle right up into prime areas right before or during first light. Stay out on the edges of these areas and listen at gobbling time. Listen to the gobbler(s) and figure out where they're at and listen for them after they fly down. Check the areas where you've been hearing them and see if they roost in the same general area every day and try to figure out where they go after they fly down. As a rule the turkeys will start gobbling a little on the roost early in the breeding season and will start gobbling more and more on the ground as the season grows closer to it's peak. Whatever you do don't call to them or try to sneak in for a peek. You'll be glad you didn't when it comes time to tote your shotgun.

3. Hooked Spurs

Hooked Spurs Well-Known Member

Like davglo35 said, TREAD LIGHTLY!!!! No sense in taking chances to spook them. Scout from a distance and from cover. Limit 4 wheeler/vehicle traffic especially the closer we get to spring. Use binoculars if open enough to see. But, your best asset will be your ears. Listen for turkeys. They will be vocal and on calm evenings it may not take you long to figure out where they are roosting. You can hear them fly up from a long distance when calm. Don't worry too much about it right now. It will be much more useful the last
    month before season after the flocks have split and the turkeys are settling into spring territories.

4. Buck-Ridge

Buck-Ridge Well-Known Member

Turkeys usually talk a little when they fly up. If you are within 200 yards you can usually hear them.

5. sleepy

sleepy Well-Known Member

I can't hear one fly up in front of me. My hearing is terrible. I can hear them gobble.

6. Manybeards

Manybeards Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20

I leave them alone until the end of Feb when they start gobbling. Even then the turkeys will typically move before season starts.

7. NWA Bowhntr

NWA Bowhntr Well-Known Member

I try to scout as much as possible during the late winter, like now. Watch the birds and see if you can tell what they are doing in a certain area, and why. Look for areas that might be possible roosting areas, and natural travel lanes.

When they start gobbling, just keep track of them by their gobbles, and glassing fields if you have any available.

I don't ever call to a turkey before season, I want the first time they hear my call to be when I am actually hunting. You don't want to be educating them by calling them up, then them either seeing you and spooking, or them coming to an area they have heard a hen and not finding her.

I like to go to the woods a couple of times in the last two weeks before season opens before daylight. Once I hear a bird start gobbling I like to sit and listen to see which way he goes once he flies down. If you can find one doing the same routine over and over, just get to where the bird already wants to go and you have 90% of the battle won once season rolls around.

8. thats what I am trying to do. I don't want to get close to them. I want to stay as far from them as I can. I just want to try and figure out where they are going and what lanes they are taking. That way I have a little bit of advantage when season rolles around.