Live from the sandbar...

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by J. Adams, Jan 3, 2011.

1. J. Adams

J. Adams Well-Known Member

woowee...cold this morning....had to build a huge fire last night...but looky looky here comes cookie...these "small blacks" are swimming toward my spread now....yall know what's fixn to happen???? cut em all jack....
    [​IMG]

sorry for the low res, cell phone pic, good as it gets.

posted from Iphone

2. duinbb

duinbb Well-Known Member

BB
    PUNCH TICKETS!?!?!?! :fit::fit::fit::fit:

3. J. Adams

yess....I killed 13 once in one shot....I hot load #9 steel bismuth tungsten combo, aka "small black nightmare"

4. BDW

BDW Premium Member<br>Merganser Slayer<br>2011 Turkey

I can't think of anything I'd rather do than sit in sub-freezing temps and skillet shoot coots.

:skeptical:

5. J. Adams

good to hear Im not alone, I have been called hardcore, so be it, I understand the game.

6. BDW

BDW Premium Member<br>Merganser Slayer<br>2011 Turkey

I used to be pretty hardcore....Not so much anymore, though. Could have something to do with all of these gray hairs. :biggrin:

7. Doug Fryer

Doug Fryer Well-Known Member

Yeah man........it was some cold. Me and J. Adams had a good shoot this a.m.

Just got back from SWLR........down on Geyer Springs........had to make a drop of the mornings haul to Habib at the Taliban Texico.........Sucker aint been in the country 3 weeks and done bought a gas station and loves to make a good duck gumbo.:thumb:

8. J. Adams

"small black gumbo" it gets no better, you can have your blackeyed peas for the new year!

9. J. Adams

Doug again...that flextone was rockin...I have been over and over it again trying to get that rolling growl down, you are the expert hands down.

10. Doug Fryer

Yeah man.....I been practicing a bunch but I'm tellin ya.........the countless hours I spent at the lake this summer skipping rocks and drinking beer made all the difference.

Them rocks skipping along the surface of the water, from a distance looks just like a "small black" running to take off.........draws em in on a string every time.:clap:

11. J. Adams

Doug....you dont have to tell all you know...
    :):fit:

12. duinbb

duinbb Well-Known Member

BB
    I'm headed down to the Texaco at lunch!

I thought their chicken on a stick looked a little dark to be a yard bird.... but hey as good as that stuff is soooonnnn I'll take some FRYED coot on a stick anyday!

:clap:

13. Doug Fryer

Just trying to get these hands to understand you don't need a battery powered "crutch" to kill these things. Just gotta be smarter than the animal's you hunt.

These small black ducks we been killin aint to bright either but necessity is the mother of invention.:biggrin:

14. J. Adams

no batteries every required....FTS on em....

You learn the ways of the small black through observation and your peers.

I doesnt hurt to grow up with a Dad that was certified death on the small blacks, some say he's the reason the limit went down to 15.

15. Doug Fryer

Yes they are a magical duck indeed. It's like they just appear from nowhere in huge rafts.........I mean.......how many people have ever seen a whole flock flying over? There magic I tell ya.

Kinda like........who has ever seen a baby crow?:head:

16. J. Adams

Two things one can ponder for days....

I'll never forget the flock that flogged us in 99' on the first day of that giant ice storm, I knew they were all "new" birds from the feet color...when the grey/black goes to almost white you are looking at a northern small black, they are some what bigger in body size and will absolutely eat up the rolling growl call, My modified snow goose call still works, but it is death on these migrators, with the moon going full the 19th things could line up again.
    [​IMG]

the call

17. Doug Fryer

Yeah.......that was a big bunch. I was sitting there under the blue tarp tending the fire and looked up and the water was black with em.

Would have been easy to violate that day for sure.

18. J. Adams

one of the few days I was glad to have such a big crew, the "cut em" call was an absolute train wreck, I picked small blacks for 2 hours.

19. jwalker

jwalker Well-Known Member

This is too funny to be true!!

20. Doug Fryer

Can't wait til next time we have a crew that size.......you on the "cut em" call and the rest of us skipping rocks..........gonna be huge I tell ya.......HUGE!!!!!!:fit: