Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I’m ready to add a new home defense gun. Little Rock crime has gone crazy! Man it’s as bad as I’ve ever seen and I’ve lived here 45yrs. Amy way, My wife can’t handle the Glock 20 and doesn’t particularly like shooting any of our handguns.

She can shoot a 12 gauge and of course 20 as well. I would like a dedicated home defense gun that both her and I can use. I’m thinking some sort of 12ga, shorter profile, light of some sort. Budget is $800ish.
What am I missing? What sort of setup would y’all recommend?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
for years, I leaned toward 12ga pumps for home defense, but lately I've been thinking a semi auto is a better option and a magazine fed one is even better... not sure about the shockwave style, but rem did make a semi in that size...
There is also the AK style Siaga, and recently I've seen several Turkish made AR styles... don't know how good any of them are... read a couple mixed reviews and looked at a couple at gun shows...
IMO there are a couple good Turkish brands (gotta find out which) and a lot of junk... so for now I'd say just get a Rem or Benelli or Beretta... 20 ga would probably be enough with the right heavier loads or if she can handle it... 12ga w/ #4 buck... whatever you settle on IMO should be short to maneuver in hallways and around doors/corners without exposing you to the bad guys...

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
If she can handle a 12, I’d suggest a 12 for a couple of reasons. First, because the technology that has been poured into 12 ga defense loads just hasn’t trickled over to the 20 ga. The right 8-pellet 00 buck 12 ga is hard to beat. Second, because 12 gauge!

That’s just my .02. But there has been a lot of research poured into this stuff. Everyone has an opinion, from 00 12 ga to 20 ga bird shot. And my opinion, which is probably worth almost as much as anyone else’s, is 12 ga with 8 pellet 00 Buck and cylinder bore.

·
Registered
8,682 Posts
If she can handle a 12, I’d suggest a 12 for a couple of reasons. First, because the technology that has been poured into 12 ga defense loads just hasn’t trickled over to the 20 ga. The right 8-pellet 00 buck 12 ga is hard to beat. Second, because 12 gauge!

That’s just my .02. But there has been a lot of research poured into this stuff. Everyone has an opinion, from 00 12 ga to 20 ga bird shot. And my opinion, which is probably worth almost as much as anyone else’s, is 12 ga with 8 pellet 00 Buck and cylinder bore.
Defensive ammo selection is definitely better in 12 ga, with the Federal Flitecontrol being the best stuff currently out there.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts