Linguinial Hernia

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by OuachitaMtnMan, Jun 21, 2017.

1. OuachitaMtnMan

OuachitaMtnMan Well-Known Member

I got a dang hernia. I really don't have time for this crap lol. Sucks too because I'm in the best shape I've been in in a long time. Down to 163 or so. Lean and quick, getting ready for a jiu jitsu competition in Conway in July but that's off now. I don't want to quit exercising but I'm going to lay off the weights but may still grapple lightly. Anyone dealt with one of these want to give me the rundown on whats the worst case scenario if I dont cease and desist all strenuous activities until its fixed or what I can expect as far as downtime from work (desk job) and exercise activities afterwards?

Thanks Gentlemen (and women if you've had one)

2. cdgolden

cdgolden Well-Known Member

I've had two, one on each side of centerline. First one was a monster, but second one I never stopped. The first one, surgery went well, bruised up real good, laied around the week afterwards due to pain pill sleeping and took 2 months to get back to normal. The second one, had surgery one day, and was out helping build fence the day after. I took it easy in order not to blow out the stitches, but I kept on going. I learned from 1st, too take it easy, but not stop completely. 2 years later, no issues at all. Some people complain of feeling something internally, I sometimes feel something (I think), but nothing that stops me.

3. Triple Threat

Triple Threat Well-Known Member

I had that surgery two Februarys ago. I asked the doctor how long would it be before I could climb a 6 ft. ladder and drag 150 lbs or so! He knew exactly what I meant. He said give it a couple of weeks! He then said he did one on a guy that ran in a marathon two days later. I told him I wasn't interested in marathons but I did want to be able to climb a little and drag a 150 lbs for a little ways! I'm not so sure about Ju Jitsu. Isn't that lots of "jostling"? I hated riding in a car and getting bounced around in that position for a couple of weeks.

4. JR1

JR1 Well-Known Member

Had mine on Thursday and back in office on Monday. First couple days were rough with mine.

After talking to a lot of folks who have had the surgery, there is a huge disparity in recovery times.

Probably two weeks before I was ready for much real exertion.

5. John Stiles

John Stiles Ultimate Member<br>2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner

Had a wreck on my mountain bike a few days ago, cracked ribs, right femur has bigtime pain, can't sleep, think I mighta damaged the sciatic nerve or maybe hairline fracture of the bone...left thumb feels like it's separated at the first joint from my wrist. I'm bad stove up in the chest. I'd hate to know I had a jujitsu tournament! Sinsei might be pissed! LOL

6. nick83

nick83 Member<br>2011 Turkey Contest Team Winner<br>2014

cabot
    I have one now. I've continued to work with it. I'm in a contract installing cabinets and when that's over I'm having the surgery. For me it seems push or pulling on something aggravated it the most.

7. claytonsdad

claytonsdad Well-Known Member

I had a friend who is a surgeon repair mine. When I woke up, he told me he actually found 3 once he got started. I went to him to get checked out and he told me I had at least one.

I was going to put it off until a more convenient time until he started telling me that if your intestine protrudes through the part in your abdominal wall and becomes inflamed, it can swell enough that it won't slide back through the hole. At that point, it can continue to swell, causing an intestinal blockage. That can kill you if not addressed in time. Needless to say, I got mine fixed asap. Outpatient surgery. Moderate pain, but not bad. Pulling sensation was the biggest irritation. I think I took 4 days off (desk job).

My main advice is to get it repaired asap, and follow your doctor's instructions to the letter. Those guys have the alphabet soup behind their names for a reason.

8. OuachitaMtnMan

Thank y'all fellas

9. OuachitaMtnMan

Got an appointment at National Park July 11. Surgery sometime after that I assume

10. pearlsnaps

pearlsnaps Well-Known Member

I had a inguinal hernia in about 11 years ago. Still numb spots and pain sometimes. It was a pretty bad one. Like Clayton'sdad said, doc told me that if I continued to wait and had a bigger rip with swelling & blockage. Then I would have my whole side cut up for surgery if I didn't die first. I got the surgery pretty quick.
    I was bruised badly. Couldn't get out of bed without a walker for a week. 2 weeks before is was able to move well. Couple months before I had my full strength. He really tore into me.

11. OuachitaMtnMan

Dang. I felt it again today. Pushed it back in. Problem is, its never out when I see a doc.

12. pearlsnaps

pearlsnaps Well-Known Member

That's how it started for me. Couple weeks later I was laying on the floor playing with the kids. Stood up and felt something weird. It came out of my intestinal lining and dropped. All the way down. Yeah, you know where.

13. OuachitaMtnMan

Mine is in there now...its not above the waist. Lets just say that because, I've got a 3rd nut sometimes, doesnt sound as good

14. OuachitaMtnMan

Going either next Wednesday or the Wednesday after to have my hernia repaired. On the docs recommendation, I'm going to have them do the other side preemptively so I dont have to spend more money and more time down when the other one goes out because I dont plan on slowing down any time soon.

15. 10pointman

10pointman Waterfowl forum Sheriff<br>2011-12 Deer Hunting Co Staff Member

I had both sides done at Texarkana surgery center
    They did a good job.i didn't do much for about a week,but was good to go after that

OuachitaMtnMan likes this.
  16. OuachitaMtnMan

Good to hear. Thanks for the encouragement