Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got 6 of my trotlines cut last week late Thurs. evening or sometimes before 5pm Friday afternoon. I did find them all, though.

I've never ran another persons net, line, or yo-yo in my life...I've even picked up lines that were set out over mine that's had fish on them and picked up a net once that I set one of my lines over that had 250-300lbs of flatheads in it. Not the first fish was touched and I've always taken my line or net up on the spot when its happened to stay out of another persons way. That's how I was taught.

I doubt very seriously that the person that cut my lines is on this site, or even owns a computer...but if you are...It was Jerry Dean's fish you took and Jerry Dean's lines that you cut...just so you'll know...

· Super Moderator<br>2012-13 Deer Hunting Contest Wi
11,017 Posts
Back in the 60's my dad and his family ran lines and nets on the river. The had their nets emptied about once a week until grandpa took his 30/30 to the river and waited in the bushes. They were never touched again. From what I understand the folks left, loaded their boat, changed their shorts and never came back to the Maumelle River arm.

Maybe you will get to meet them Jerry, on your terms. :wink:

· Registered
5,413 Posts
I've never had mine cut, but my FIL has his cut up on Norfork pretty often. It's not tied off to the bank and its in 30-40ft of water, so it's probably people trolling for striper or walleye that snag it. Can't say I haven't been tempted to pull dead fish (and a couple of live ones) off yo-yos on Conway before when there was nobody watching them, but I always figured they weren't mine to mess with. Some folks just don't know any better.

· Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tony,

My dad started commercial fishing the Ark River in '61. He fished out of Cook's Landing and Maumelle Park. I'm sure he met your dad and family on the river more than once. The Hudson's, W C Looper, the Young's, Frank Tully, a 1 armed guy, an Indian guy named Chief, and my dad were about the only one's doing it back then, and they knew where each others spots were and respected them. I've tied a line on about every stob and piling between Brodie Bend and Fourche La Fave and have had my fair share ran, taken up or just plain cut and dropped.

I've run all my lines and nets blind for the past 10 years or so, but some of the guys commercial fishing now drag the holes now for the weekend trotliners, or just drag to see if something will wind up on the end of their hook. If I was doing it for a living, there'd be some time spent watching with bino's, but It's just something to do to have an excuse to get out on the river most nights and always have fresh fish and a freezer full at all times.

It stinks for sure the way some people are now, though.

· Registered
2,913 Posts
Tony,

My dad started commercial fishing the Ark River in '61. He fished out of Cook's Landing and Maumelle Park. I'm sure he met your dad and family on the river more than once. The Hudson's, W C Looper, the Young's, Frank Tully, a 1 armed Indian guy named Chief, and my dad were about the only one's doing it back then, and they knew where each others spots were and respected them. I've tied a line on about every stob and piling between Brodie Bend and Fourche La Fave and have had my fair share ran, taken up or just plain cut and dropped.

I've run all my lines and nets blind for the past 10 years or so, but some of the guys commercial fishing now drag the holes now for the weekend trotliners, or just drag to see if something will wind up on the end of their hook. It stinks for sure.
I commercial fished with Terry Young Sr. for about three years. This ain't the Young you are talking about is it? He lives in Mablevale and has been running the Arkansas since the early 70's. I feel your pain with the nets. That is worth fighting over there. All Young runs now is around Wrightsville but he has been all over the river at one time or another.

· Registered
419 Posts
I've seen it happen plenty of times. I've had fish taken off my yo-yos and I have also tripped others yo-yos because I had been there all week and they weren't being checked...no fish, no bait, no big deal to me. A good friend of mine who is older actually put a 7 Mag hole into a boat on Lake Conway one year. He had lost use of his left hand due to a bad accident and was going through some operations to gain it back and couldn't run his trot lines. He could see them from his backyard and when guys began to set them he asked them to leave as he had loaned them out to a friend to run and check. The guys didn't pay him much attention and the next day he asked again. They ignored him once again but that day he came back with his rifle and put a hole in their boat. He said the boy in the back nearly pulled the rope out of the motor trying to get the thing started....he didn't have any problems with them again.

11,017 Posts
My dad did ironwork with Terry and Lou Gene Young back in the early 70's.

We had a clubhouse/shack at what is now the launching ramp below Pinnacle Mtn Visitors center on Big Maumelle River. At the time Judge Gus Fulk owned the land and let us hunt and fish it if we kept folks from dumping and trashing it.

· Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Vales,

Virgil and his folks is the one I'm talking about but there's a good chance his dad and Terry Sr. were brothers. There was actually 2 or 3 sets of Young's that were kin that commercial fished the river. The Mr Young that I fished beside mostly ran the Little Rock pool. They got a market in NLR and his boy has a catering business now.

I run the Wrightsville pool 95% of the time now, but will set out a few flathead lines early in the year in the Maumelle pool.

· Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My dad did ironwork with Terry and Lou Gene Young back in the early 70's.

We had a clubhouse/shack at what is now the launching ramp below Pinnacle Mtn Visitors center on Big Maumelle River. At the time Judge Gus Fulk owned the land and let us hunt and fish it if we kept folks from dumping and trashing it.
Tony,

That ramp's a touch bit nicer than it used to be, huh? We always ran line's up Big Maumelle when the river was out of its bank and some current was coming thru the cut right across from ya'lls old clubhouse...matter of fact I was running lines there in Feb and March and April this year when the water was up and running and did real good.

I've killed a ton of squirrels up Big Maumelle many many years back and seen a big buck swimming across earlier this year just up from the old rock bridge that used to cross the creek.

11,017 Posts
It is a lot nicer now. Where the parking lot is now was the front end of our garden. Deer weren't as plentiful then as they are now and you could actually grow a decent garden even that far from home. Nobody messed with it. We had a floating livebox that was about 8'x8' and only had the padlock shot off once. Now days they would tow it all off.

· Registered
6,352 Posts
Used to put out lines...and had some cut. I think it was cause the required info was not attached to the end of my lines and Wildlife Officers found them and unattached the illegal lines....when I tagged them, no more cutting.:wink:

· Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Floating Livebox!!!! No way to keep one of those on the river anymore...heck not even on a private lake even...:smack:

We had 1 right across from the launch @ Maumelle park on the river side of that small island for a few years and 1 above Palarm Creek just above the powerlines for 1 week. The one above Palarm got the lid tore off twice and we drug it up on the bank and I don't ever remember coming back and getting it. Haven't even thought about it since then and that was in 1977 when my brother was a senior in highschool and my dad turned the lines over to him. We moved the one across from Maumelle Park up to Natural Steps when they started building all the camping spots and used it for another year or 2. Never had it broke into. The bottom came out of it one night and we lost a couple 100 lbs of flats and my dad never built another one.

· Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Used to put out lines...and had some cut. I think it was cause the required info was not attached to the end of my lines and Wildlife Officers found them and unattached the illegal lines....when I tagged them, no more cutting.:wink:
I got between $20 & $25 of commerical tags on each of my lines...No WO cutting mine... and they're usually out year round...I guess it's alot easier for some people to cut a trotline than to buy another $5 crankbait.:smack: Most of the time they can't pull them up, though. I've got a collection of Shad Rap's and Fat Free Shad's and Sassy Shad's in the transom shelf. Most of 'em broke at the knot.

· Registered
298 Posts
I think some so-called fishermen and outdoorsmen don't understand that if a form of fishing is legal, a person has just as much right to fish that way as he or she does with a rod & reel. I have had a line or two cut in the past. I've had lines run. I've had yo-yos picked off the trees and taken away. Some of the folks I've heard talk negatively about these fishing devices are among those taking them down. They seem to believe that if you are not pole fishing, you shouldn't be allowed to fish. Don't understand that school of thought! Also, others just don't understand ownership and will grab up anything that is not bolted down to the floors. I've seen this treachery work into yo-yo and trotlining trips, as well as seeing one of my buddies lose a deer and a deer stand out of the back of his truck when he stopped to grab a bite to eat and use the restroom. My wife says this: "Stupid ought to hurt!" I think the same should go for people who choose not to understand the legality of fishing with yo-yos, limblines and trotlines as well as though who do not respect ownership.

· Registered
6,550 Posts
jd, that sucks about your lines. i told you that you should not use those "i love houston nutt" lines anymore or something would happen to them.

i dont have a problem with yo-yo's if that is how a person chooses to fish. i do run into problems with some people who like to run their outboard motors all around me, weaving through the trees and over tops, while i am fishing to run their yo-yo's. they make trolling motors for a reason. also, just because you have 3 yo-yo's hanging out of a tree does not mean that you own it, so dont get mad when i drag a slab out from under it with my jig pole.

· Select Member<br>2010-11 Deer Hunting Contest Winn
3,647 Posts
About the only time I get upset with trotlines is when some numbskull sets them across a boating channel just about a foot below the surface- where you cannot help but get a prop in it.

That and recreational trotliners who go buy pre-made lines for one night or weekend, then just leave the lines to "rot".

· Registered
5,700 Posts
jd, that sucks about your lines. i told you that you should not use those "i love houston nutt" lines anymore or something would happen to them.

i dont have a problem with yo-yo's if that is how a person chooses to fish. i do run into problems with some people who like to run their outboard motors all around me, weaving through the trees and over tops, while i am fishing to run their yo-yo's. they make trolling motors for a reason. also, just because you have 3 yo-yo's hanging out of a tree does not mean that you own it, so dont get mad when i drag a slab out from under it with my jig pole.
if they have 3 yoyos in one tree then you need to turn them in.:up:

11,017 Posts
Years ago when we dove Ouachita we would find lines with 1/2" of algae on them, hooks rusted out, dead fish rotting and crank baits stuck on them.

I thought you could have several yoyo's in the same tree but just one on each limb? Has that changed in recent years?

· Registered
6,550 Posts
from the rule book...

Yo-Yo Fishing – Up to 30 yo-yos (or similar mechanical devices) per person may be used as long as they are not left unattended (out of sight or hearing) during daylight hours, and no more than one is hung from a line, wire, limb or support . Yo-yos must be labeled with the owner’s name and address or vehicle operator’s license number, or current vehicle license number of the person using such equipment.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.