Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the coldest day of the year this season me and a buddy hit a submerged log. We were doing 20mph give or take a few. As a result the tiller was torn from his hand and actually hit him in the nose. We veered hard right and smacked into a tree. The boat took on 5 gal of water and we put one heck of a dent in the boat.
Needless to say I had my jacket on but with all the clothing it would not zip. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good jacket that is not the inflatable style. I want a big PFD that will fit a heavily clothed 300 lb man.

·
Registered
25,682 Posts
On the coldest day of the year this season me and a buddy hit a submerged log. We were doing 20mph give or take a few. As a result the tiller was torn from his hand and actually hit him in the nose. We veered hard right and smacked into a tree. The boat took on 5 gal of water and we put one heck of a dent in the boat.
Needless to say I had my jacket on but with all the clothing it would not zip. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good jacket that is not the inflatable style. I want a big PFD that will fit a heavily clothed 300 lb man.
I bought one at Academy this year that is like a 4xl? I'm 6'6 285 pounds and was able to wear it over the top of waders and a big coat. It's not camo or anything, Black and gray I think, but it fits and that's what matters. I think I gave around 50 bucks for it?

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I've thought about them , but still wear my life jacket it zips up good and snug I just let it out all the way ,but it's over 4 years old and needs replaced . Do not buy inflatable they are only rated in water above 40 degrees . They also lose air as time goes on . So I do not recommend it I'd go to bass pro and get one of those Coast Guard ones with the reflectors on it that would be excellent if you were to end up in the water in the low light hours .

·
Registered
15 Posts
Onyx makes float coats also. I have hunted with float coats for ever wouldn't go without it. Stearns makes a good one. Like stated before $$$. Onyx is a little cheaper and still pretty nice. Have had my Stearns close to 10 years.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Spend the money and by a stearns float coat....can find em cheaper on EBAY.....I have two XL's......im 6"1 200lbs and with waders jackets and all it goes over everything and zips right up.....on rainey days I wear mine as my hunting coat sometimes....sucker is warm and will keep you bone dry

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We did continue on that morning. The boat actually had a 4" dent and the Cypress tree had 2 gouges both above the waterline 6-8" each. It appears we actually launched on the log. We also went back after our hunt and placed reflectors to mark the hazard.

I don't think I can get a float coat over all the clothing and coats I wear when it is single digit weather. I guess I can always try. I really just want a mongo sized pfd. Haha

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
We did continue on that morning. The boat actually had a 4" dent and the Cypress tree had 2 gouges both above the waterline 6-8" each. It appears we actually launched on the log. We also went back after our hunt and placed reflectors to mark the hazard.

I don't think I can get a float coat over all the clothing and coats I wear when it is single digit weather. I guess I can always try. I really just want a mongo sized pfd. Haha
old school with the around the neck ones....academy sells em in max 4 for 9.99

·
Registered
746 Posts
A Stearns float coat. Very warm when running the boat and your aren't going to get any safer.
Best thing you can have on when running on cold water. Very warm and you can be sure they will find your body should something bad go wrong. :thumb:

I have two I bought back in the 80s and they still work just fine.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I have an onyx, and it is so uncomfortable,, so stiff it makes it hard to maneuver. Especially driving a boat... Are the stearns more comfy and can you actually move in them??

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Spend whatever you have to spend to get one you like and will wear. Just like a safety harness on a tree stand. It isn't going to do you any good in the gun box or in the back seat of the truck. I have a onyx vest that is mesh up around the shoulders where I can shoot a gun easy if I needed to. I just put it on under my big and remove it when I get to my destination when I take my big coat off to get everything set up.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I have an onyx, and it is so uncomfortable,, so stiff it makes it hard to maneuver. Especially driving a boat... Are the stearns more comfy and can you actually move in them??
You have to expect some stiffness given that the coats are filled with flotation. I can't speak for the newer Stearns coats as both of mine are 20+ years old, but they function just fine when I'm driving the boat. Actually, that is about the only time I wear them - when I am in the boat to and from the spot I'm hunting. I've rarely tried to hunt in these coats as they are a bit more restrictive than I like when shouldering a gun.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts