Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hunting, fishing permit prices to increase in 2009

The Conservation Commission considered the Consumer Price

Index and other factors in determining that an increase was needed.

JEFFERSON CITY—At its September meeting, the Missouri Conservation Commission approved price increases for most hunting and fishing permits and created a new permit for hunters who pursue snow geese and other “light geese” during the federally mandated Light Goose Conservation Action.

The increases – the first for Missouri resident hunting and fishing permits in five years – will go into effect March 1, 2009. Conservation officials said the increases are based on changes in the Consumer Price Index, cost comparisons with surrounding states and citizen comments received during public deer meetings in 2008.

“We want to keep resident permit prices as reasonable as possible,” said Conservation Department Director John Hoskins. “When compared with other states, our prices tend to be in the middle to lower end of the scale.”

Besides the general cost of doing business reflected in the Consumer Price Index, Hoskins said new programs and enhanced services also add to the cost of conservation programs. These services include expanded youth education, dove-field management, winter fish stocking and assistance to private landowners.

Permits included in the increases are:

Ø Resident Hunting and Fishing, from $19 to $22

Ø Resident Fishing, from $12 to $14

Ø Daily Fishing, from $7 to $7.50

Ø Nonresident Fishing, from $40 to $42

Ø Trout fishing, from $7 to $10

Ø Resident Small-Game Hunting, from $10 to $12

Ø Resident Fur Handler, from $10 to $11

Ø Resident Trapping, from $10 to $14

Ø Cable Restraint, from $10 to $10.50

Ø Nonresident Furbearer Hunting/Trapping, from $120 to $130

Ø Nonresident Small-Game Hunting, from $75 to $80

Ø Daily Small-Game Hunting, from $11 to $20

Ø Migratory Bird, from $6 to $8

Ø Replacement Permit, from $2 to $3

Ø Resident Spring Turkey, from $17 to $20

Ø Resident Fall Turkey, from $13 to $15

Ø Nonresident Spring Turkey, from $175 to $190

Ø Nonresident Fall Turkey, from $105 to $110

Ø Resident Archer’s Deer/Turkey, from $19 to $23

Ø Resident Firearms Antlerless, from $7 to $10

Ø Resident Firearms Deer Hunting, from $17 to $20

Ø Resident Managed Deer Hunt, from $17 to $20

Ø Nonresident Firearms Deer Hunting, from $175 to $225

Ø Nonresident Firearms Antlerless Deer Hunting, from $7 to $25

Ø Nonresident Archer’s Hunting, from $150 to $225

Ø Nonresident Managed Deer Hunting, from $175 to $225

Ø Resident Archery Antlerless Deer Hunting, from $7 to $10

Ø Nonresident Archery Antlerless Deer Hunting, from $7 to $25

Ø Nonresident Landowner Spring Turkey Hunting, from $75 to $95

Ø Nonresident Landowner Fall Turkey Hunting, from $50 to $55

Ø Nonresident Landowner Archery Hunting, from $75 to $112.50

Ø Nonresident Landowner Firearms Deer Hunting, from $75 to $112.50

·
Member<br>2009 Spring Turkey Contest Team Winner<b
163 Posts
Hoskins said new programs and enhanced services also add to the cost of conservation programs. These services include expanded youth education, dove-field management, winter fish stocking and assistance to private landowners.
non-res lic fees...........Simply put..............What a rip off........To many other states to hunt with fees more in line with the average fellow.

·
Registered
14,536 Posts
I cant believe I didnt notice this thread before...
The second price increase in dang near as many years??? Whatta rip off!!!
I'm planning a public land turkey hunt this spring with a couple of guys, and I had been thinking MO was our best bet. It may still be, but there's a bunch of land in KS too. Now those tags will be $60 less.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hobbs
MO had it's worst recored hatch in history this past year. Wasn't good the year before either. I would consider elsewhere for less $ til the flock gets back up.
I've talked with a couple of MDC folks and they cited the following reasons were given by the comm.
1. residents think there are too many non res hunters
2. Getting the fees in line with other states
3. In their opinion they offer more for less
4. Increase revenues

Call them and complain I did. More important write a letter and address it to the comm. it will be read out loud and the next meeting.

I think we should charge them $200 for a week of duck hunting, $250 for a gun deer and $200 for a turkey and $225 to bowhunt.

The locals I visited with last weekend are very concerned that they will see a big increase next. They are mad because relatives from out of state can't afford to come hunt with the family anymore and they aren't too happy with the 2# of seed they get that is called private landowner assistance.

·
Registered
14,536 Posts
It really is amazing how much nonresident turkey licenses have gone up every year, and I havent even been hunting them all that long (1999). The first out-of-state trip I took was to West Virginia in '02, and that license was right around $100. Many states then were below $100.

·
Registered
626 Posts
:censored::mad: That really :censored: me off. I love hunting the Mark Twain National Forest, it's a trip my Dad & I have made for the past 8 or 9 years. I think when we first started going we paid $75 for our license. We've killed turkeys every year including last year but it's just getting hard to justify that much money for a trip up there. Gas, motel, licenses & food for a couple of days could easily cost us over $700. I love to hunt them turkeys but I believe I've killed my last Missouri gobbler for awhile. :frown:

·
Member<br>2009 Spring Turkey Contest Team Winner<b
163 Posts
Way back when......I would go up to Missouri every year........cost around $50 and I would hear more birds in one day than I would all season here in Arkansas................Heck, I only live about 30 mins away from the state line and 45min at the most, from some of the best public land you will find anywhere, but at the cost of out of state fees, it will cheaper to go off to Ks or Tenn(4 bird limit by the way):jiggy:

Oh yeah, forgot to mention the screwed up season date and limits......1 bird only, the first week and so on..........I go up there, pay the fees to stay a few days, then have to pay that much for tags............I want an Opening day and a chance to fill my tags in the first week of the trip................lol guess you can tell....The more I think about it the more upset I get....Sorry folks.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Hobbs
MO had it's worst recored hatch in history this past year. Wasn't good the year before either. I would consider elsewhere for less $ til the flock gets back up.
I've talked with a couple of MDC folks and they cited the following reasons were given by the comm.
1. residents think there are too many non res hunters
2. Getting the fees in line with other states
3. In their opinion they offer more for less
4. Increase revenues

Call them and complain I did. More important write a letter and address it to the comm. it will be read out loud and the next meeting.

I think we should charge them $200 for a week of duck hunting, $250 for a gun deer and $200 for a turkey and $225 to bowhunt.

The locals I visited with last weekend are very concerned that they will see a big increase next. They are mad because relatives from out of state can't afford to come hunt with the family anymore and they aren't too happy with the 2# of seed they get that is called private landowner assistance.
By my screen name you can probably tell where I am from! I am glad to see the changes personally and let me explain why:

1: Ohio, Kansas, Illinois, Iowa. All big buck states, so is MO. Check out the B&C records for each state. Interesting to say the least. This makes more money for MO.
2: Arkansas has ducks, bucks, and birds (turkeys) Here in this fine state your AGFC sets the prices for out of state hunters on the before mentioned game animals. You guys have some nice bucks, lots of good duck hunting area (noteably the best in the country) and for turkeys you dont have half the numbers that Missouri boasts for there population. This also makes more money for MO.
3: When is the last time that some one on a Hunting show said "in our next video we will be in southern Arkansas huntin' those numerous HUGE wild Turkeys, so join us here next tuesday night" Bwahhh ahhh. This is what attracts people to the Show me state, Turkeys and Bucks. So for this comment above "$200 for a turkey" no one would pay it to hunt in AR, but they would in MO. As far as a bad hatch, that might be true, I am not a biologist but the hatch wont affect the hunt this year, or next unless you like to hunt poults.
4: MO has not enacted a price change in 5 years, this is true. The number of OOS hunters has significantly increased over those five years as well. They see a way to make money here. People will still come to MO to hunt turkeys, I say to those of you who choose not to, dont think that it will hurt any feelings in MO, cause they dont care. People will continue to hunt turkeys in that state and they will pay the price, MDC (Missouri Department of Conservation) Knows this. Imagine when you first started hunting and the tags were 8 dollars for a resident, and now they are 17. Would this sit right with you.
5: Odds are that when you go to MO, you will indeed kill a turkey, and a nice one. We have rules just like you do in AR. MO rule is 1 bird a week, with a two bird limit, but on the last week you can kill two birds just not on the same day. Why does MO have such a good turkey population? Why does AR not? These are questions that you need to ask yourselves. Send a letter to your AGFC and ask them to Jack up the price on duck hunts, that would be fine. BECAUSE that is what makes money for AR.
6: How many B&C bucks have been killed in AR? Check the record books, also interesting. People wont pay that much to come hunt in AR, North or South. People will pay to hunt in MO. $$$$$ for MO
7: I am used to paying 17 dollars for a turkey tag, has been that way for a while, now I will pay 190. I have one turkey on my wall 3 beards, 1.5 inch spurs and weighed in at 27.5 pounds. Called in one for a buddy 3 years ago, 28.5 lbs, 1.75 inch spur. I have killed at least 9 birds over 26 lbs, 4 over 27 lbs, and been a part of a hunt that allowed us to kill 2 that were over 28lbs. Has anyone done this in AR? Collectively over the years I have called up birds for friends family and out of staters, total beard length would have to be somewhere in the thousands of inches. I am glad that MO has the rules it has, maybe someone in AR should take the time to learn about Best Management Practices and start it down here.
8: Revenue: This is what the game is about, plain and simple. That is what drives every orginization, isnt it.

Finally, pay or dont pay, it is your decision. I will pay, and I will kill another bird, maybe 2 birds........maybe 20 more in my lifetime.
It does hurt some folks, I am one of em. But no bell achin for me. Save, save, save, so I can get the opportunity at a 30 lb bird.
I know that this hurts a lot of people financially and most are probably venting but change is good even though we dont always like it.

·
Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,530 Posts
MO hunter I'll be glad when it cost an OOSER $200+ to duck hunt in AR. With that said I can go a lot of places and kill 2 turkeys (including many places in AR), but there's not anywhere as good as AR for killing mallards in green timber.

·
Super Moderator
7,071 Posts
Am I correct?
If you deer hunt with rifle and bow and spring turkey hunt you would have to spend $690.00 with doe tag.
I think some will still hunt MO, but alot will choose the other states over them.
I know this increase will sure increase the revenue if they can hold the out of state license sales any where close.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MOhunter

1. Who pays when the non residents don't come?
2. How much of a revenue increase do you think the increase fees will net?
3. Last time I checked, the majority of the hunters did ot kill birds. Actually a minority killed the majority of the birds.
4. I hope AR follows suit. Trout stamps should go way up. Have not read of many monster browns coming from MO. Don't see it referred to as a trophy trout destination. Also not many places you can get that green tree Mallard experience in MO. Deer, yes it is interesting. AR offers plenty of quality deer. After all most of the quality hunts in MO are in the north on private ground. BTW, we promote the hunting heritage in this state and allow any youth to apply for elk tags and participate in the youth turkey hunts.
5. Game and fish commisions (all states) are killing family tradtions and hurting the hunting heritage in general with the fees they are charging. Fewer kids hunting means fewer pro-hunting votes and that is the bottom line!

·
Registered
53 Posts
It is disappointing the fees went up in missouri, especially when hunting national forrest lands that are maintained by the US Government, in which everyones tax dollars to help maintain. If they have to charge so much because of state tourism, maybe they should charge a high state management area fee, in stead of a flat fee of $190.00

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
It's hard to place a price on the experience though. I've been going up there since 1988 or 1989, so it's more of a fun vacation, camping, and hunting with friends and family. Sure the huntings been tough the past few years on the Mark Twain, but come spring I'll be heading that way.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
My first turkey hunt in Mo. was the spring of 74,the license cost was 30 dollars and 30 cents. Arkansas was one of the first to raise the non-resident license.Mississippi had a reciprical agreement with Ar. and when we went up on our license,they did too. I think that when hunting on National Forest land there should be a set amount for the license for hunting land that we ALL paid for no matter what state its in. Fifty bucks a year would seem like a fair amount to me. If the MDC wanted to up the price for those hunting private land,then so be it,but dont hijack the public on Federal land.Mo. isn't nearly as good in my opinion as it used to be.I still hunt there every year and have killed some 27's and a 28 pounder during the last 30 plus years. If you like hearing alot of gobbling,Tx or Ok. either one has Mo. beat. In my opinion they are more like what Mo. used to be like,and they arent as expensive on license cost as Mo.plus the limit is a bit more liberal.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
MO hunter I'll be glad when it cost an OOSER $200+ to duck hunt in AR. With that said I can go a lot of places and kill 2 turkeys (including many places in AR), but there's not anywhere as good as AR for killing mallards in green timber.
That was my point. You have something to be proud of here, with the ducks, i am not taking that away. Raise the price, that will help the state of AR. That is a good thing. I am for this all the way.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
MO sucks now, Now been overhunted for the past 10 year by Arkys, (myself included) like eveyone has said back in the day it was unreal, it will never be like that again....never, ever, ever, ever

Next on the list to suck KS....cause every Arky goes there and brags about how good it is...ride the wave while you can.

The internet is terrible!

:)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.