Arkansas Hunting banner
121 - 134 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Well the last few hours have been a roller coaster. I had just about given up hope of seeing a bear when the chocolate bear I had hoped to see showed up. Came right in and gave me a 15 yard broadside shot. The shot was a little forward of where I wanted to be (would have been right in the crease of a whitetail) but I still felt good about it. The arrow buried all the way to the fletching. I watched it run about 65 yards, pause, stumble, and take off out of sight. I met my buddy back at our cabin and got geared up to go get my bear expecting a quick track job. This is where stuff got weird. Right off the bat we had GREAT blood. Easy to follow trail with lots of frothy puddles. 100 yards in we found the fletching end of my arrow in a drainage. From there the trail started to lessen and get spotty. We followed blood through some of the nastiest roughest terrain I’ve ever walked in Arkansas. Eventually we lost blood completely. I’m still at a complete loss. I’ve replayed the shot in my mind over and over and over and I still feel the bear should have been dead within a hundred yards. The only thing I can think is somehow I only got one lung maybe. The map picture is roughly the path we took tracking with the x being where I shot the bear. The other is what was left of my arrow
Font Asphalt Grass Road surface Screenshot

Light Wood String instrument Tints and shades Space

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well the last few hours have been a roller coaster. I had just about given up hope of seeing a bear when the chocolate bear I had hoped to see showed up. Came right in and gave me a 15 yard broadside shot. The shot was a little forward of where I wanted to be (would have been right in the crease of a whitetail) but I still felt good about it. The arrow buried all the way to the fletching. I watched it run about 65 yards, pause, stumble, and take off out of sight. I met my buddy back at our cabin and got geared up to go get my bear expecting a quick track job. This is where stuff got weird. Right off the bat we had GREAT blood. Easy to follow trail with lots of frothy puddles. 100 yards in we found the fletching end of my arrow in a drainage. From there the trail started to lessen and get spotty. We followed blood through some of the nastiest roughest terrain I’ve ever walked in Arkansas. Eventually we lost blood completely. I’m still at a complete loss. I’ve replayed the shot in my mind over and over and over and I still feel the bear should have been dead within a hundred yards. The only thing I can think is somehow I only got one lung maybe. The map picture is roughly the path we took tracking with the x being where I shot the bear. The other is what was left of my arrow View attachment 373476
View attachment 373477
Are you going out in daylight tomorrow? Please keep us up to date! I hope your able to recover!

·
Super Moderator
11,216 Posts
Well the last few hours have been a roller coaster. I had just about given up hope of seeing a bear when the chocolate bear I had hoped to see showed up. Came right in and gave me a 15 yard broadside shot. The shot was a little forward of where I wanted to be (would have been right in the crease of a whitetail) but I still felt good about it. The arrow buried all the way to the fletching. I watched it run about 65 yards, pause, stumble, and take off out of sight. I met my buddy back at our cabin and got geared up to go get my bear expecting a quick track job. This is where stuff got weird. Right off the bat we had GREAT blood. Easy to follow trail with lots of frothy puddles. 100 yards in we found the fletching end of my arrow in a drainage. From there the trail started to lessen and get spotty. We followed blood through some of the nastiest roughest terrain I’ve ever walked in Arkansas. Eventually we lost blood completely. I’m still at a complete loss. I’ve replayed the shot in my mind over and over and over and I still feel the bear should have been dead within a hundred yards. The only thing I can think is somehow I only got one lung maybe. The map picture is roughly the path we took tracking with the x being where I shot the bear. The other is what was left of my arrow View attachment 373476
View attachment 373477
Call someone from the bloodtrailing network, lots of them will track bears too. Good luck, hope you find him!

·
Registered
920 Posts
Update from last night. Hiked back up into the drainage where we lost blood with a dog. The dog started out in line with where we thought the bear had gone. But the dog seemed confused and having a hard time following the trail. We ended up grid searching what we were able to with the steep terrain with no luck. Pretty bummed about the whole situation. It’s been a long time since I’ve lost a critter and it never becomes an easier feeling. At this point I’m just hoping that maybe I only got one lung and the bear will make a recovery.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Update from last night. Hiked back up into the drainage where we lost blood with a dog. The dog started out in line with where we thought the bear had gone. But the dog seemed confused and having a hard time following the trail. We ended up grid searching what we were able to with the steep terrain with no luck. Pretty bummed about the whole situation. It’s been a long time since I’ve lost a critter and it never becomes an easier feeling. At this point I’m just hoping that maybe I only got one lung and the bear will make a recovery.
Hate this for you. I bet you hit forward of the vitals if you think it was in the crease. I've done it a few times over the years. Hard to make myself pull back from the shoulder as far as I should. To use to shooting deer.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Sky Wood Adaptation Bedrock Landscape
Two years ago I shot a bear about half hour before dark. Bear went about 20 yards went down and stumbled off. I was pretty certain I heard one slight death moan. I got down looked followed blood but blood trail was short. I was alone on the mountain and desperately with find the bear before dark but was unable to as I grid searched for it.
Got in contact with a blood tracker. By the time we got there and made it up the mountain it was 3:00 the next afternoon.
Lady out her bloodhound on the track and we were standing over my bear in about 15 minutes. Quite impressive, I now own a bloodhound and have been training her.
Something ate a bit off of tailend so wasn't able to salvage the hind quarters but was able to save the backstrap, front shoulders, and hide.
Theat is the only pic I have of the bear. I was working on a collage of that years hunting season. Collage is missing an antelope or two.
Sky Wood Adaptation Bedrock Landscape

·
Registered
920 Posts
Hate this for you. I bet you hit forward of the vitals if you think it was in the crease. I've done it a few times over the years. Hard to make myself pull back from the shoulder as far as I should. To use to shooting deer.
That’s what I’m thinking happened. It’s the only explanation I can some up with. I guess shooting instinctive my subconscious just pulled to the crease. No excuses for it though. Lord willing that bear will make a full easy recovery.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
View attachment 373532 Two years ago I shot a bear about half hour before dark. Bear went about 20 yards went down and stumbled off. I was pretty certain I heard one slight death moan. I got down looked followed blood but blood trail was short. I was alone on the mountain and desperately with find the bear before dark but was unable to as I grid searched for it.
Got in contact with a blood tracker. By the time we got there and made it up the mountain it was 3:00 the next afternoon.
Lady out her bloodhound on the track and we were standing over my bear in about 15 minutes. Quite impressive, I now own a bloodhound and have been training her.
Something ate a bit off of tailend so wasn't able to salvage the hind quarters but was able to save the backstrap, front shoulders, and hide.
Theat is the only pic I have of the bear. I was working on a collage of that years hunting season. Collage is missing an antelope or two. View attachment 373532
That’s a heck of a year of hunting there! Thats a stud of a whitetail!

121 - 134 of 134 Posts