Arkansas Hunting banner
101 - 120 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Way to get it done!
Any of you guys that bait pastry’s, donuts, and bread…. Have you ever had it go bad in the barrel to where the Bears won’t eat it?

I rebated Thursday because it was low. Went in Saturday through a little bit of fresh stuff on the top like I normally would bait just so I could drive out and then slip back in. It didn’t work. The bear showed up five minutes after I left Saturday night. I figured he was waiting on me to leave.

I’m getting a little activity but very little. Just wondering if my bait will still be good should I dump it all out. Unless something changes at the rate they’re hitting it it will last a month
Around a couple weeks ago bait wasn't being hit real good yet and I believe I put to much bait in barrel (donuts). I went to check it out and sure enough donuts began to get that soured bread smell. I had extra bags and emptied soured bait into bags and freshened up with new bait. Pain in the neck by the way but new bait got ate.
Bears have quit my bait now since we killed a bear opening day. Hopefully bears will come back but I fear donuts will sour again. I don't want to have to dump them out.

·
Registered
440 Posts
what?

there is a reason settlers killed so many bears - great table fare, plus take the time to render the fat for the best biscuits/breads/pastry

heck yeah eat bear !
I know why they killed bears! There wasn't a local grocery store to go buy that can of biscuits and gallon of milk to put in the refrigerator!!

They hunted them mainly because of the fat. Fat was hard to get. Some areas bear was their main food source.

The reason I ask the question is that I know some people that wont eat bear because they are scared of Trichinosis (often contracted when not cooked thoroughly) or because of the bait (dog food, ect.) they use to attract the bear.

Also, we all know there are some hunters with no ethics that want to kill a bear just to say they did it and have no interest in preserving the meat or even the fur.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I put the compound up and went full trad last year. I ended up killing a 7 point and 3 does and it completely hooked me. I can’t see myself going back now.
I’ve been on and off with a recurve the past 2 seasons. Shot a small bear with the recurve last year. I plan on committing 100% to the trad bow next season.
I’ve got a new recurve that should deliver tomorrow and grabbed a dozen new arrows today.

Good luck.

101 - 120 of 134 Posts