Arkansas Hunting banner
81 - 100 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Candace was able to recover the bear this afternoon.
We actually found the bear quite a ways off down in a water hole in a dry creek drainage. I now know why it’s been so tough to get bears to baits
This was a bear paradise in the drainage!! Loaded with berry and tons of wild plums as sweet as can be piles of bear crap everywhere View attachment 373152
Congratulations!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Got my second bear ever just minutes before too dark. I got in stand too early - 1:30pm on Saturday. Sweated and fought mosquitoes and little gnats until I thought I would go crazy. At 7:20 I said I would climb down at 7:30. While packing up my stuff, the medium smaller of the two I have been seeing walked straight at me from below the barrels at 7:25. I could still see my crosshairs when he turned sideways to sniff the bait (I reload bait Friday morning and he hit it that night late in the dark).

He shot off (they are fast!) right at me and turned in an arc behind me. I waited just a few minutes and I heard the death moan loud and clear. (I did not hear it on my first one because I was too excited and climbed down right away and bumped it twice. Not a good idea.)

Recovered about 40 yards away. Had white patch on chest. Little bigger than my first one. Not near as much fat on it as my one from 2020. Sat 6 hours and it paid off. I do not have enough coming in daytime to pass up one and wait for a bigger one like some of you do. But over a week ago I had a monster on there a few times. I learned to switch up the bait this time (bread and pastries as they started to avoid dog food and sweet feed). And I parked four wheeler just 40 yards away behind a rock. Much easier in and out. Sorry for long post. :)

Plant Plant community American black bear Brown bear Tree

Dog Vertebrate Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog

·
Member<br>2012-13 Bowhunting Contest Winner<br>201
2,159 Posts
Got my second bear ever just minutes before too dark. I got in stand too early - 1:30pm on Saturday. Sweated and fought mosquitoes and little gnats until I thought I would go crazy. At 7:20 I said I would climb down at 7:30. While packing up my stuff, the medium smaller of the two I have been seeing walked straight at me from below the barrels at 7:25. I could still see my crosshairs when he turned sideways to sniff the bait (I reload bait Friday morning and he hit it that night late in the dark).

He shot off (they are fast!) right at me and turned in an arc behind me. I waited just a few minutes and I heard the death moan loud and clear. (I did not hear it on my first one because I was too excited and climbed down right away and bumped it twice. Not a good idea.)

Recovered about 40 yards away. Had white patch on chest. Little bigger than my first one. Not near as much fat on it as my one from 2020. Sat 6 hours and it paid off. I do not have enough coming in daytime to pass up one and wait for a bigger one like some of you do. But over a week ago I had a monster on there a few times. I learned to switch up the bait this time (bread and pastries as they started to avoid dog food and sweet feed). And I parked four wheeler just 40 yards away behind a rock. Much easier in and out. Sorry for long post. :)

View attachment 373162

View attachment 373163
Good job!

·
Registered
705 Posts

View attachment 373162

View attachment 373163
Congratulations!

·
Registered
4,964 Posts

View attachment 373162

View attachment 373163
Good job Conway.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Our daytime activity has dwindled to almost nothing. My wife took my daughter Sunday and I took my son and none of us saw a bear that day. I’ll get to hunt tomorrow and depending on camera pulls and how the hunting is tomorrow I may be switching gear to deer.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Are you guys seeing a lot of acorns? I scouted for 3 hours Sunday morning and could not find one acorn. This was in Western Arkansas. Ouachitas Logan County
I’m finding isolated pockets of them where I’m at I’m the Ozarks. The trees that have them are loaded and dropping like crazy right now from what I’ve seen. It’s looking like there won’t be much for mast during early October.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I haven’t seen any. Hadn’t heard any dropping either. I think the pressure in the area I’m hunting push the Bears out because my daily activity went to almost 0 since Friday. I’m gonna give it a couple days and try again. Looks like a cool front coming through Thursday.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
I hunted this morning and never saw a thing. Acorns raining down like crazy.

I climbed down at 1030 and disced a small road on my lease to seed out when the next rain comes in.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
I drove up to my bait yesterday. Zero bears have come since we killed the one Saturday afternoon. Gonna check it again early next week and see it they get going again. Gotta hunt on south wind. It’s loaded with prime bait. 125 gal worth

·
Registered
705 Posts
Any of you guys that bait pastry’s, donuts, and bread…. Have you ever had it go bad in the barrel to where the Bears won’t eat it?

I rebated Thursday because it was low. Went in Saturday through a little bit of fresh stuff on the top like I normally would bait just so I could drive out and then slip back in. It didn’t work. The bear showed up five minutes after I left Saturday night. I figured he was waiting on me to leave.

I’m getting a little activity but very little. Just wondering if my bait will still be good should I dump it all out. Unless something changes at the rate they’re hitting it it will last a month

81 - 100 of 134 Posts