Arkansas Hunting banner

81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Buddy shot an 8 point at 7:09am this morning while we were hunting Winona. He thought he missed. 30 yards with 308 broadside. He said he freaked a little when it stared right into his soul and rushed it. Said the scope was full of brown behind the shoulder. He went and looked and found no blood. He was bummed and defeated, first buck for him. It walked off he said quickly and then a few mins later he said he heard thrashing on the opposite side of the ridge the direction it went but he still never found blood. I came to him 3 hours later. I've seen him shoot and after hearing this I was confidant he hit it. Found a small piece of lung 25 yards from the shot site so i knew. I went where he said he heard thrashing. It was on a south slope bedding area. Fourtunate for us the way he went it couldnt go far straight or to the left or it would've taken a 40 foot pludge off a sheer cliff, so to the right side of the ridge i worked. Found him in the bed 60ish yards piled up. Never bled till it bedded. Been dead awhile, rigger had set in. Nose had pink airy lung blood foaming out. Didn't get a pass thru shot either and he drilled it right behind the shoulder. Tough creatures. His first buck like I said, I love sharing what my pops taught me about hunting and the outdoors with new hunters.
627681135.jpg

·
Select Member<br>2009 Photo Contest Winner<br>2015
3,096 Posts
So great to see all the young'uns out . Ya'll enjoy and cherish every second. They grow up way too fast, even the grandchildren. I

·
Registered
764 Posts
It was slow for me I watched one lone doe for about the last 20 min of shooting light. That is all I saw this evening.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Well.. I shot at my pets. They came out with about 5 min of shooting light left. I know the first shot I pulled. The second shot she hunched up. But didn’t find anything.
Remind me to never shoot at that time of day. It was bright at my stand but basically pitch black where they came out.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Nof a deer
Been out all day wifh the youngun
We started on a ridge broke for lunch then hit a bottom till dark. Didnt find much sign either place
Good looking woods just seem to be mostly empty

·
Registered
103 Posts
Got in the blind at 6:30 am and sat till 3:30. Didn’t see a thing. I’m usually tagged out in the first week. Not sure what’s going on

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I saw two when the light had faded enough I could only tell they were deer from the cadence and shape of them walking. That made a total of 5 with an all day sit

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
I was on a couole bucks back in muzzleload season and saw a few does. Now cant hardly see a deer.
I think they are just locked down breeding
When its like this might as well sleep in I guess but there is always the chance a cruiser comes through. Long sits waiting for that slim chance right now though.
Hot and dry dont help much. Im about to call if until after thanksgiving I think.

·
Super Moderator
13,905 Posts
I was on a couole bucks back in muzzleload season and saw a few does. Now cant hardly see a deer.
I think they are just locked down breeding
When its like this might as well sleep in I guess but there is always the chance a cruiser comes through. Long sits waiting for that slim chance right now though.
Hot and dry dont help much. Im about to call if until after thanksgiving I think.
Try throwing out some corn 🤣

81 - 97 of 97 Posts