Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK so last year I bought a new set of Leupold Acadia 10x42 binos but my hunting buddy liked them a lot so he ended up with them.. So this year I ordered a set of Vortex Diamondback HD's 10x42 (both run just under $300 or on sale for around $240 and the Acadia's have been discontinued).. Major league difference in the 2, with the Leupold's being far superior.. Looking through the Vortex's are really good but when you look through the Leupold's it's like WOW.. Anybody else had the same experience with these brands?? I should have stayed with the Leupold brand but heard really good things about Vortex.. If it ain't broke comes to mind..

·
Premium Member
25,698 Posts
I bought my wife a pair of $250 leopould about five or six years ago. Not sure the model. They were very clear - almost on par with my vortex viper hd for twice that. The vipers are as clear as the day I bought them. The leopoulds have lost some definition - and she takes much better care of her equipment than I do mine. At her request, I got her a pair of vortex for Christmas last year

·
Registered
23,730 Posts
No, but I did similar. However, I went up in power and I suspect that was the difference.

Looked through some Leopuld 10X42's and loved 'em. Got a pair. But they were just not powerful enough. So I found some 12X50 Vortex and WOW. Much better.

However, it's only fair to say that was before the cataract surgery I just had. So, more light gathering power was needed. It might not be now. I am taking BOTH of them to deer camp next week. So, if I can remember, I'll check back and report on how they look now that my eyes are much closer to being 'fixed'.

Side Note: Every discussion of binocs and scopes MUST be viewed differently by younger vs. older folks, or even young folks with eye issues (like my wife has had all her life). If you are young and 20/20, what I think about scopes and binocs is probably meaningless to you, and should be ignored.

·
Registered
23,730 Posts
It's good stuff.

FWIW, I spent years arguing that Leupold was better because it was American. I didn't want Asian glass, like Nikon. The only Nikon I ever had (Aetec) was not worth much.

But I had to eat crow. It's hard to find, but it's doable......Leopuld says their optics comes from "Various Asian locations".

·
Premium Member
13,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's good stuff.

FWIW, I spent years arguing that Leupold was better because it was American. I didn't want Asian glass, like Nikon. The only Nikon I ever had (Aetec) was not worth much.

But I had to eat crow. It's hard to find, but it's doable......Leopuld says their optics comes from "Various Asian locations".
Leupold binoculars’ parts are mostly made in America, but the lens glass and other material they use is imported from Germany and Japan. Vortex optics are crafted in China, Japan, and the Philippines, and this fact excludes them from the list of “American made” instead they are “American based.”
https://deanoptics.com/best-america...ican made” instead they are “American based.”

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I don't know anything about the Vortex brand but have used Leupold for most of my life. They are hard to beat in my opinion…….Unless you get on up into some major money.

Reactions: Polywog

·
Premium Member
25,698 Posts
I know a couple of guys who use a variety of glass in a variety of ways. They like Swarovski binocs - but prefer the vortex Fury’s for a medium duty binoc when the very best of glass is not required. That said - they have both given up on Swarovski Scopes due to reticle breakage on high recoil rifles. They agree Schmidt and Bender is probably tops for scopes but also like Leopold. One of them has a range compensating vortex rifle scope and is having problems with it.

·
Premium Member
13,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know anything about the Vortex brand but have used Leupold for most of my life. They are hard to beat in my opinion…….Unless you get on up into some major money.
That's why I was comparing these 2 binos.. Both in the same price range and similar features with almost identical accessories included.. I don't use binos all that much and couldn't see myself spending $500-$1000 on a pair to ride around under the seat of my truck.. I'd love to have a high dollar pair but I've got too many hobbies to support to do that.. These are average Joe's binos.. Happy to have them.. Maybe my hunting buddy will like these better and trade me back.. They are 5-6 ouches lighter..:D

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I'm the same on that, I use them some but not enough to pay a outstanding price for a set.
I do have a compact Nikon set that I've had for a long time and they've been real good for looking down through the woods. (7 power).

Reactions: Polywog

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I'm the same on that, I use them some but not enough to pay a outstanding price for a set.
I do have a compact Nikon set that I've had for a long time and they've been real good for looking down through the woods. (7 power).

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
I have pairs of both and can't tell much of a difference.

When you go hunt out west, it seems to me like all the guides and locals like vortex.

·
Registered
13,485 Posts

When you go hunt out west, it seems to me like all the guides and locals like vortex.

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
I have looked through Vortex in a store and didn't care for the view. I have looked through alpha glass, someone elses and it is Wow when you look. I have looked through upper end Leupold in the field and they had a very nice view. With very good glass you don't need as much magnification to see things clearly.

·
Premium Member
14,685 Posts

I see the opposite of that. My buddies that live in Colorado and NM that glass hours a day say Leopold hands down. They say non quality glass after looking through it all day will give you a killer headache.

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
I hunt in NEA. Mostly bow hunting. Typically will be glassing things in the 75-200 yard range. Never was a big used of binoculars and had previously used several cheapo $50 pairs.

Couple years back got some 10x42 Vortex and will never go back. Love them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts