Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Premium Member
11,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Father in law has been cussing his cloudy and archaic Bushnell scope for five years, so for his birthday I got him a 3X9 Leupold Rifleman. I'll confess I didn't do too much homework beforehand, I just trusted the same company, same warranty that's always been good to me.

Leupold's Rifleman is their inexpensive line of scopes. Has anybody had any experience with them, be it good or bad? I'll mount pa-in-laws pretty soon, but meanwhile, what say youse guys? :confused:

· Registered
1,600 Posts
I bought a rifleman in 3x9x50 and am very glad I did. It opened my field of view tremendously. It is very sharp and offers a quick pick up with a comfortable eye relief. My wife liked it as well and now she wants one on her rifle. I had a bushnell that did me the same way, very frustrating. I think he will enjoy the Leupold.
Sportsmanetc

· Registered
11,693 Posts
Though I personally prefer the Nikon scopes, I think that will make him a fine present for years to come. Wish my son in law would do something like that for me. But then again, my daughter is only 11, so that may be a little much to ask at this point.:thumb:

· Administrator
90,822 Posts
From what I understand, they are basically the VX-I scpoes renamed. I don't own one, but from what I read, they seem to be spoken well of. As far as I know, they still carry the lifetime warranty.

· Registered
3,160 Posts
I will always speak up for Leupold scopes. I had a Vari X III 2.5x8 for about 20 years and the lens on the end that you look through became loose. I sent it back to Leupold and they sent me back a brand new VarX III 2.5x8 a couple of weeks later. The bottom line they stand by their products. if they can't fix it they will replace it, no questions asked.

· Super Moderator
8,353 Posts
He is going to love that Leupold Rifleman. It is a fine scope and has a lifetime warranty. I have two of them. One is on a Marlin 30/30 and the other is on a Marlin Model 39A, 22 LR. I have not had a minute of trouble with either one and I don't think you are going to be disappointed. :thumb:

· Premium Member
11,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys!

I've had a VXII 2 X 7 compact on a very light Ruger M77 .270 for over twenty years, and unlike me, it's no worse for wear. I've got some friends that have gone through multiple scopes in that time, I'm still using the same one.

I think Mr. C's right about them being VXI's, but all I'm going on is the resemblance. Warranty is the same as always; if you break it, the folks up in Oregon will make it right.

It's going on his '03 A3 Springfield that was sporterized many moons ago, and it's his baby. Imagine how he'll feel about it when he gets a scope he can see through!

· Premium Member
1,942 Posts
Are the Rifleman scopes made by Leupold or are they imported? I have considered getting one for my 358 Winchester. I use mostly Leupold scopes on my handguns but have been using the Burris Fullfield II on most of my rifles. The Rifleman looks to be a great scope for the cost.

· Premium Member
11,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are the Rifleman scopes made by Leupold or are they imported? I have considered getting one for my 358 Winchester. I use mostly Leupold scopes on my handguns but have been using the Burris Fullfield II on most of my rifles. The Rifleman looks to be a great scope for the cost.
I believe they are made in Beaverton Oregon, but I didn't look!

I did find where the Rifleman scopes actually replaced the VXII which was discontinued (from the Leupold website):

VX-II

The VX-II line (2003 and older) uses a combination of Vari-X III and Vari-X II (discontinued) technology. VX-II’s also utilize ¼-MOA click adjustments, but the lens coatings are unique. The external lenses are coated with Multicoat 4 and the internal lenses are coated with magnesium fluoride.
Beginning in 2004, the VX-II line is fully multicoated and will perform comparably to the discontinued Vari-X III line.
VX-I

The VX-I also utilizes a combination of Vari-X III and Vari-X II technology, utilizing ¼-MOA friction (non-clicking) adjustments. The external lenses are multicoated and the internal lenses use magnesium fluoride.
Rifleman

Though the Rifleman line of scopes uses a different maintube (for aesthetic reasons), it is optically the same as the Vari-X II (discontinued for 2001). The adjustments are exactly the same as the Vari-X II (½-MOA friction) as are the lenses and coatings. All lenses, internal and external, are coated with magnesium fluoride. Basically, the Rifleman is a newer-looking matte finish version of the Vari-X II that helped build the Leupold reputation. It is important to note that Custom Shop options (reticle changes, target adjustment installation, etc.) are not available for the Rifleman line of scopes.

End of quote.

So don't order a Rifleman scope if you think you'll want custom features added later by the Leupold custom shop!

· Registered
2,658 Posts
I have used Leupold for years and in my opinion they are awsome. I sent a var xII back to the company a few years ago because I was having issues with accuracy and I thought it was the scope (later I learned it was the rifle). They sent the scope back a few days later with a letter stating they couldn't find anything wrong with it, however just as a precaution they advised all internal parts had been replaced with new ones and the scope filled with new nitrogen gas. They advised that they had restored the scope to "as new conditon". All of this was at no charge. Any company that stands behind thier products they way Leupold does I will continue to do business with.

· Registered
11,690 Posts
I'm a big believer in Leupold scopes but my favorites are the Vari-X III's. They just cost too dang much.
Hopefully the Rifleman will be better than the comparably priced Nikon scopes. I had a Nikon on my 10/22T and loved it for a couple of years but now the focus seems to be out of whack except in the wide open. It will be replaced with a Leupold as soon as I save up the extra $$.

· Registered
1,226 Posts
I'm a big believer in Leupold scopes but my favorites are the Vari-X III's. They just cost too dang much.
Hopefully the Rifleman will be better than the comparably priced Nikon scopes. I had a Nikon on my 10/22T and loved it for a couple of years but now the focus seems to be out of whack except in the wide open. It will be replaced with a Leupold as soon as I save up the extra $$.
X2....but, Reggie has been lucky and found some VX-IIIs on e-bay for reasonable prices. Usually in the 275-350 range. Best months have been Feb. and March.

Does anyone else have any good rifle scope websites?

· Registered
227 Posts
Had a Vari-X II a few years ago that I dropped on the bell when a sling came loose. I bent the scope. Sent back to Leupold and was replaced with a brand new VX-I free of charge. They have excellent customer service. I even sent a note telling them I dropped it.
The Last 2 scopes I have bought have been Burris FullField II. They are very clear and are brighter than the Leupold.

· Registered
2 Posts
I've owned everything except Zeiss and Swarovski, and I love Leupold scopes, although I haven't owned a Rifleman. Bottom line is, Leupold isn't going to put its name and brand on anything low quality.

Where you really start paying extra in scopes for is low-light gathering capability. However, almost any scope provides a clear picture at legal shooting time. The tables are listed in your hunting regulations. A $700 Zeiss might stretch your shooting time an extra 15 or 20 minutes, but the game warden might take it away from you, too.

The Bushnell Trophy costs less than $100, but it's very clear and consistent. I have one mounted on a Remington 700 BDL in 7mm-08, and it has held perfect zero for five years, despite some hard licks. Side by side, though, any Leupold or Burris will have a noticeably better sight picture in terms of image size, field of view and low-light clarity.

I have several Leupold Vari-XIIs and Vari-XIIIs on various guns, and they're all great scopes. Whenever I find a good deal on one in the newspaper or at a pawn shop, I buy it.

Another scope I really like is the Simmons Aetec. It is clearer, with a wider and more compact field of view than other comparable power scopes, but its aespherical lens system doesn't perform well in low light. I've had one on a Winchester Featherweight for 13 years, and I've never had to adjust it except when I've switched to a different handload. I also have them on a pair of Winchester M70 Super Grades. When you compare the sight picture of an Aetec 2.8x10x44 to a Leupold Vari-XII 3x9x40 in good light, it looks a lot better than the Leupold, but the Leupold is better in low light. It is the only Simmons I've ever owned that was worth squat, except the .22 Rimfire scopes.

Burris Fullfield scopes are fine, but given the choice for basically equal money, I'll choose Leupold.

Nikons? I have two Buckmasters that I like (3x9x40 and 3x9x50), but I had a higher end Monarch that wouldn't hold zero.

Older Redfields, those made in Colorado, are good scopes.

I've had good luck with Swift, too. I had a 2x7x40 Wide Angle on a Winchester Featherweight, and at 2x, the sight picture included the end of the barrel. To eliminate that, you had to go to 3x, which basically meant it was a 3x7 scope. So, I wouldn't recommend the Wide Angle version.

Another fine scope is the Bushnell Elite 3200. Great glass, great hardware, rock solid.

There's a definite difference is scopes for every $100 you go up in price, but you won't be handicapped with a Leupold Rifleman.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.