Let's talk concrete

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by luckless, Jul 18, 2017.

1. luckless

luckless Member Forum Sponsor 2011 Turkey Contest Winner

No, I'm not doing either. Hired it out.

I do have a crew here now getting ready to pour a 30x30 patio out my back door. Concrete truck ain't showed up yet. Supposed to be here any time.

2. 1928

1928 Well-Known Member

It shouldn't take long to set today.

3. npborne

npborne Active Member

Post some pics when they get it poured out and finished I'm sure they will do a nice job

4. luckless

I'm not overly happy with the way it's gone so far. Maybe I'm just not accustomed to the world of concrete - but some of it has made me scratch my head.

Forming crew showed up at 7:30 and finished the plastic and wire (formed it a couple days ago). Finishing crew showed up at 8:30 and popped a couple lines and got their tools ready. Concrete truck was supposed to be here at 10:00, but it didn't show up till 11:30. Of course it didn't have enough so they had to call for a second truck. The second truck still has not showed up. Finishers hanging out waiting on the next one.

Make be completely normal in the world of construction - Just seems like an inefficient process.

5. luckless

Npborne - I'm blaming you for what I believe to be a piss poor pour.

6. orangefeetdown

orangefeetdown Well-Known Member

NEA
    What happened?

7. luckless

Concrete got too hot on the truck. Either that or I expected way too much for July finish.

Borne should have stopped me ;)

8. 1928

1928 Well-Known Member

I've poured a few slabs and when it was hot we poured it a daylight not noon.

9. luckless

No comment

10. 1928

1928 Well-Known Member

It's only concrete a jackhammer will correct any mistakes.

whetstone likes this.
  11. whetstone

whetstone Well-Known Member

Last time I poured concrete in the heat of the summer I was out there with a water hose, 2x6, and sledge hammer trying to wake it back up so's we could finish it.

12. luckless

Yeah - just part of it I guess.

It's not overly awful - I'm just a perfectionist so sometimes things don't turn out the way I envision them.

In 100 years - it won't matter anyways.

13. mk1848

mk1848 Well-Known Member

Put your grill and your cooler of beer on it and in about 3 hours it won't matter.

luckless likes this.
  14. npborne

npborne Active Member

Next time make them sign a performance contract and if it turns out bad you can make them bust it out and redo it. I've poured thousands of yards of concrete and it still makes me nervous every time. It is the only thing that is really expensive and you only get one chance.

15. npborne

npborne Active Member

Next time have ice on stand by and use ice to slump it up instead of water if it starts getting to hot you are right I should have called off the pour I will take responsibility but not the bill haha

luckless likes this.
  16. Lt Gibson

Lt Gibson Well-Known Member

Concrete trucks are NEVER on time, ever...and the crews usually aren't either.