Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please explain to me why zone 17 is treated seperatly when it comes to season dates. It just doesn't make since how someone in the north part of zone 17 can turkey hunt before someone in the south part of the state, but just a couple miles to the west. :mad:

·
Premium Member<br>2010 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
6,049 Posts
I could get into to this but then I would have to take additional Blood pressure pills and repair holes in the walls where I stuck my fist thru em:censored: So I had better pass! Allot of folks KNOW:cool: why!

·
Super Moderator<br>2012-13 Deer Hunting Contest Wi
11,017 Posts
The answers the AGFC gives;

It greens up earlier...Bull S:censored: , that is a lie and they know it

Due to flooding they have to open it earlier...Bull :censored: , just another lie by self indulgent bastards

There are deep pockets that hunt that ground, some of them commissioners or their close friends or former commissioners. They want it both ways at the rest of the states hunters expense. A feel good season cut for the whole state to preserve our turkey population all the while knowing they will be out there earlier because...well hell they deserve it, after all they can afford the cost to hunt there, they must be special. They will keep on with crap like this and they will alienate their supporters and I am getting closer to getting on that bus all the time. Just remember crap like this when any of them want to run for public office. I know of one who is sticking his name in the paper more all the time, he is looking to make a run I think.

·
6,049 Posts
The answers the AGFC gives;

It greens up earlier...Bull S:censored: , that is a lie and they know it

Due to flooding they have to open it earlier...Bull :censored: , just another lie by self indulgent bastards

There are deep pockets that hunt that ground, some of them commissioners or their close friends or former commissioners. They want it both ways at the rest of the states hunters expense. A feel good season cut for the whole state to preserve our turkey population all the while knowing they will be out there earlier because...well hell they deserve it, after all they can afford the cost to hunt there, they must be special. They will keep on with crap like this and they will alienate their supporters and I am getting closer to getting on that bus all the time. Just remember crap like this when any of them want to run for public office. I know of one who is sticking his name in the paper more all the time, he is looking to make a run I think.
Tony
You need to borrow one of my Blood pressure pills?:thumb:

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
Man, why did you have to bring this topic up. You're gonna get some folks put on probation for what they are liable to post about the zone 17 bs.
Me being one of them. :mad:

·
11,017 Posts
I am tired of shutting up. I am tired of acting like nothing is wrong. If these guys want the rest of us to follow their direction then by gum lead us by example not by trying to baffle us with BS. But in truth they could care less because they can get whatever they want. They can deer hunt with a gun for 5 months because they can get unrestricted doe tags and buck management tags. They can turkey hunt as they please, what WO would dare question any one of them or their cronies. I have been an ardent supporter of the AGFC because I believed they would do what is right for the wildlife. I guess it has taken me nearly 48 years to see that isn't always their first concern.

Make a list of reasons why this zone 17 is so special. How can it green up faster than all of south AR? Part of it is in NE AR! How does it flood more than river areas in south AR when all the rivers flow southward and back up from the bottom up? Zone 17 is the fairhaired childs paradise.

·
6,049 Posts
Tony- I couldnt agree with you more- and believe me I wasnt suggesting you do either! I just have to be careful or I might get ADMIND!!! If ya know what I mean:cool: - I see you have inquired and gotten the same lines as I have:smack:

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Tony Harris....
They will keep on with crap like this and they will alienate their supporters and I am getting closer to getting on that bus all the time.
Tony..
I will be there to welcome you aboard the bus.

Just wait for another year and see where we are headed in all our "game management" progression...:smack:

I am hearing some very troubling ""rumors"" already.

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
I am tired of shutting up. I am tired of acting like nothing is wrong. If these guys want the rest of us to follow their direction then by gum lead us by example not by trying to baffle us with BS. But in truth they could care less because they can get whatever they want. They can deer hunt with a gun for 5 months because they can get unrestricted doe tags and buck management tags. They can turkey hunt as they please, what WO would dare question any one of them or their cronies. I have been an ardent supporter of the AGFC because I believed they would do what is right for the wildlife. I guess it has taken me nearly 48 years to see that isn't always their first concern.

Make a list of reasons why this zone 17 is so special. How can it green up faster than all of south AR? Part of it is in NE AR! How does it flood more than river areas in south AR when all the rivers flow southward and back up from the bottom up? Zone 17 is the fairhaired childs paradise.
I hunt Zone 17...........I am by no means rich.....I work (hard) for a living like 99% of the people on here do!!! 5 Months of Deer season in zone 17? Too bad it's not true...to my knowledge...our season opens the same day as the rest of the state...it closes 1 week later..or so, given the Christmas hunt and the last ML hunt 11 If it is 5 months, show me the proof!!!! cause I've hunted there for years, and we've NEVER had 5 Months.....unless of course, you add bow season, but the rest of the state gets it too!! Yes we do get doe management tags...1 per member, That's 25 in the club I am in!!! as far as other management restrictions...we have a youth hunt, but it is still restricted the same as gun season...3 points with 15" spread or 18" beams...must meet 2 of the 3..........even for a 6 year old kid!!! Actually, our regs are tougher, he Owner/timber Company management goals are higher than the Game and fish. I have gone 3 years without killing a buck, but I saw shooters, just wasn't exactly sure, and didn't want to pay a fine (club0 or loose another buck, if the first I shot wasn't management legal!!!!!
the turkey population is down from
previous years...can remember seeing up to almost 100 birds in a flock in deer season, in the early 90's...now maybe 6-8 tops anytime of year!!!!! unless it is a hen with 8-10 polts, but the predators might get half of them..or more!!

As far as WO's......they can come and go as they please...AND THEY DO...REGULARLY.we are subject to the same rules as you...NO SPECIAL PRIVILEGES...THEY WILL WRITE US AS FAST IF NOT FASTER THAN YOU!!! the last WO we had was a good person, and a dang good WO..he did his job, like he was supposed to...I still consider him a friend...NO he never wrote me a ticket, but I never gave him a reason too either!!! The NEW WO...he's out to make a name for himself, so we all had better have out T's crossed and I's dotted......we saw him almost daily during the deer season!!! the old one, we used to see a bout once or twice a week, but he had a large area to cover, by himself!!

as far as being a 'fairhaired child'.......I've got blonde hair, what little I've got, but I am no different than you are...well I probably am.I work for a living, I have bills, I was given the opportunity to hunt in Zone 17, rather than here there and yonder, but I opted to hunt there, and it costs me close to $2k a year, sometimes more, of MY hard earned money, but I enjoy it, if I didn't hunt there, I'd spend it hunting here there and yonder!!!

We have deer , duck, squirrel, turkey, rabbits, hog, coyote, bear and fish, and bobcatall in one lease...when it's not hunting season, I can ride my wheeler, go out to the river and swim or fish or play...so I get my money's worth year round..and if it matters last season, 2007, I killed 2 doe, and Gunner's Mate killed 1 doe and a bobcat!!!!!!!!!

all I ask, show me some proff of a 5 month deer season, and WOs not being allowed to enter/ question anyone behind the levee in Zone 17!!!!!!!!

·
11,017 Posts
You need to read HG. With unrestricted doe tags you can use a rifle at the start of bow season and last time I checked it was 5 months long. Proof enough? Or do you need more?

·
11,017 Posts
and I never the WO's were not allowed to enter you just read that into it. I said what WO would dare question any one of them or their cronies. That is implied as if they value their job they would not. And last time I checked yours was not the only show in town.

·
Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I hunt Zone 17...........I am by no means rich.....I work (hard) for a living like 99% of the people on here do!!! 5 Months of Deer season in zone 17? Too bad it's not true...to my knowledge...our season opens the same day as the rest of the state...it closes 1 week later..or so, given the Christmas hunt and the last ML hunt 11 If it is 5 months, show me the proof!!!! cause I've hunted there for years, and we've NEVER had 5 Months.....unless of course, you add bow season, but the rest of the state gets it too!! Yes we do get doe management tags...1 per member, That's 25 in the club I am in!!! as far as other management restrictions...we have a youth hunt, but it is still restricted the same as gun season...3 points with 15" spread or 18" beams...must meet 2 of the 3..........even for a 6 year old kid!!! Actually, our regs are tougher, he Owner/timber Company management goals are higher than the Game and fish. I have gone 3 years without killing a buck, but I saw shooters, just wasn't exactly sure, and didn't want to pay a fine (club0 or loose another buck, if the first I shot wasn't management legal!!!!!
the turkey population is down from
previous years...can remember seeing up to almost 100 birds in a flock in deer season, in the early 90's...now maybe 6-8 tops anytime of year!!!!! unless it is a hen with 8-10 polts, but the predators might get half of them..or more!!

As far as WO's......they can come and go as they please...AND THEY DO...REGULARLY.we are subject to the same rules as you...NO SPECIAL PRIVILEGES...THEY WILL WRITE US AS FAST IF NOT FASTER THAN YOU!!! the last WO we had was a good person, and a dang good WO..he did his job, like he was supposed to...I still consider him a friend...NO he never wrote me a ticket, but I never gave him a reason too either!!! The NEW WO...he's out to make a name for himself, so we all had better have out T's crossed and I's dotted......we saw him almost daily during the deer season!!! the old one, we used to see a bout once or twice a week, but he had a large area to cover, by himself!!

as far as being a 'fairhaired child'.......I've got blonde hair, what little I've got, but I am no different than you are...well I probably am.I work for a living, I have bills, I was given the opportunity to hunt in Zone 17, rather than here there and yonder, but I opted to hunt there, and it costs me close to $2k a year, sometimes more, of MY hard earned money, but I enjoy it, if I didn't hunt there, I'd spend it hunting here there and yonder!!!

We have deer , duck, squirrel, turkey, rabbits, hog, coyote, bear and fish, and bobcatall in one lease...when it's not hunting season, I can ride my wheeler, go out to the river and swim or fish or play...so I get my money's worth year round..and if it matters last season, 2007, I killed 2 doe, and Gunner's Mate killed 1 doe and a bobcat!!!!!!!!!

all I ask, show me some proff of a 5 month deer season, and WOs not being allowed to enter/ question anyone behind the levee in Zone 17!!!!!!!!
Handgunner where I see your point about the gamewarden not giving special priviliges, because I'm assuming your talking about Doug Pierce, which would probably write his wife a ticket if put in the situation. The thing is he doesn't cover all of zone 17 so it may be different in other parts. My only problem is the fact turkeys do not breed on the east side of the state any sonner than they do on the west side. So why give them more priviliges. The harvest numbers do not indicate that more turkeys are killed in zone 17, so I do not understand the reasoning. And it sure doesn't green up any faster.

·
6,049 Posts
handgunner- I dont have any issue's with your deer hunting in Zone 17- deer hunting isnt the what riles me up it is the fact that Zone 17 opens 2 weeks ahead of everyone in this state and from the reasons I have been told are totally BULL you know! They say it greens up faster- well pin them on that then say say another reason or another or another and none of them hold water! Now if they will come out and say that we open Zone 17 because allot of commissioners both past and present hunt here than I will buy that, they wont but until someone convinces me that there is a legit reason to open Zone 17 I am going to raise hell about it every chance I get because to the dedicated hunters in this state it is a SLAP IN THE FACE! As far as the WO deal there aint a WO in this state walking into one of these lease's that has a present commisioner or a past commisioner and write a ticket! Aint happening! I pretty much support the AGFC and I know allot of folks that work for them these are some of the most dedicated folks I know but rest assured I blow off steam about turkey season all the time to them!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I have unrestricted doe tags and for the island we hunt in Scott. Killed a doe with a .300 last weekend. What the HELL does unrestricted tags have to do with anything???? I can hunt with a gun 5 months out of the year and I don't hunt in zone 17

Can someone give me a list of current and past commissioners that actually hunt/ed in zone 17???

I won't hunt zone 17 this year but I am still going to chase the turkeys. Why can't we worry about what is going on in our own neck of the woods instead of what is going on in others. I mean does it really matter??? I have hunted in zone 17 many times for turkeys and it sure can't hold a candle to the North Central and Western part of the State.

Again please someone give me a list of Commissioners. I always read they say a lot of past and present commissioners hunt in Zone 17 and I would like to know which ones they are. Give a list don;t give me you brothers, sister in law's former college room mate told you.

Only one commissioner hunts in Zone 17 currently. Sheffield does as well so he would be a past commissioner. Before him I can't think of anyone. We are talking about 10 years plus ago, so get me a list together of Commissioners past/present who have Hunting Clubs in Zone 17.

I don't know why they open 17 early, but I also don't think its the commissioner thing either. It certainly makes one feel better to blame them but in the end I find it hard to believe.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You don't know what you are talking about the WO business and tickets on leases where a commissoner might frequent. Go tell that to Frank Lyon, Harold Ives or Mike Cornwell to name a few. They didn't receive the tickets, but folks in the camp did. Probably more than this, but these made the state wide paper when it was a current event.:cool:

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Killed a doe with a .300 last weekend. What the HELL does unrestricted tags have to do with anything????
The "hell that it has to do with"...is the simple FACT that you are "privileged" in that the tags are NOT available to the general taxpaying public...:rolleyes:

Mike Freeze posted about the Commissioners who hunted 17...will see if I can find it..

1 - 20 of 58 Posts