Arkansas Hunting banner

Let's hear some crazy or funny fishing stories

6K views 56 replies 32 participants last post by  fisherman505 
#1 ·
Saw a thread on another forum and got a kick out of it. I have a few from over the years. My brother has done a few silly things when we were younger. He caught a very nice crappie using a rapala husky jerk, the lure was wedged vertically in the crappies mouth, both treble hooks hanging free. He also decided to run a buzz bait past a snapper one time and the snapper snatched it right off the surface, he fought it for a while until the line broke. For the rest of the time we'd see a snapping turtle raise its head out of the water with my brothers buzz bait still hooked in its mouth. Funniest thing I've seen was my brother again being a dummy. We were fishing at a lake in Bella Vista and my brother cast his zara spook close to a blue heron. When the spook hit the water it startled the heron which decided to fly off. Well on take off the heron got its leg caught on the line wrapping the spook around its leg. The heron was flying off running with my brothers drag. He managed to quickly cut the line and watch the heron fly off with about 100 yards of line in tow. We packed up our stuff and left in a hurry.

I made a bad cast once and my plastic worm went over a limb and was hanging just above the water. I let some slack out to swing it back over the limb and a 3-4lb bass exploded onto it and got hooked. I tried to pull the bass over the limb resulting in a broke line. I also had to walk back to the house one day with a pop-r hooked into the seat of my shorts.

See less See more
#52 ·
Couple of alligator stories:

I was fishing a canal down south of Miami for tarpon and came across this 8-foot alligator floating in the middle of the canal. I had a pretty heft rod with a salt-water spinning reel so I thought I'd give this critter a hard time. Cast the spoon I was using on the other side of the gator and when the lure hit the crease between his belly and his hand leg, I gave the rod the old heave-ho. The gator went nuts and rushed across the canal to the other side, up the bank and into a marsh . I really put my drag to the test but in the end, had to say goodbye to my spoon. Was fun while it lasted though.

During another time, I was down in Panama fishing a small pond fairly close to Lake Gatun which forms the Canal. I was using a pretty big popper and looking for anything that would bite. My daughter was standing along side me and about 20 yards out in the pond, there was a 4-foot Cayman just floating and looking at us. I put the popper along side and behind it and told daughter that when the Cayman went for it, I'd pull it away before he could get it in his mouth. As the lure got close to it, it started quivering ad when it lunged at the lure, there was no way I was going to out-maneuver it. It grabbed my popper but with a flick of it's head, threw it maybe 10 feet away. I thought I had pretty good reactions but this critter was twice as fast as I was. But at least I got my popper back.

Cheers.....

#53 ·
So about 25 years ago my future father in law retired and decided to start fishing full time. He bought a 14 ft flat bottom boat and a old Johnson 10 HP motor. He spent months working on the boat to get it to stop leaking " as much " I think half the rivets was loose and I thought he would never get the motor back after looking at all the peaces on the ground in his garage. Well on weekend he called me up and lets go fishing boy... He said the old Johnson was running like a new sewing machine. So we went to Lake Conway, got the boat in the water, and he tried to start the motor. Well it would start but when you try to twist the handle to give it gas it would dye. He gave out so I took over as he bailed out water. So I bulled on the rope for about 2 hours trying to get that motor running. Same thing over and over, give it a little gas and it would dye. So we gave up and slowly idled back to the bank. I get out and back the trailer in the water then get out and watch him land the boat, and when he gets up to the trailer the motor came alive. I am jumping out of the way, and I kid you not, the the boat ended up sideways on the trailer. He had no clue what just happened. And yes there was a line of people there waiting to use the ramp.... We got every thing buckled down and headed home. Not much talking on the way home. Come to find out when he put the motor back together he put the decal on the throttle backwards. So WOT was Stop & Stop was WOT. We laugh at it now and I have some wonderful memories in that old boat!

#54 ·
I got one that is kinda funny.

A couple years ago I fished out of a 12 foot Waco flat bottom. That is what I had and I love to fish. I was fishing on Lake Winona. I saw a boat approaching pretty fast. This is always a concern in a small boat. I see it is the fish police. They pull up and check my license. One of the officers says those are some big crappie. How you catching them. I showed him the couple on the bottom and he ask if he can take a photo. You know you have a big crappie when a game warden ask to take a photo. Talking to them I tell them I like their boat. He says if it makes you feel any better we checked the other 4 $30,000 boats on the lake and you are out fishing all of them combined. Then I get back to the truck and I have a warning on the truck for to small of a boat on the lake from the manager of the lake. I stop on the way out and have him measure it. Nothing smaller than a 12 foot boat allowed. He said dang that did not look 12 ft.

#55 ·
Last summer I was on Ouachita with a buddy from work. I tied the Zara spook and whipped my rod back to muster up the longest cast in histery and when I slung the rod forward as hard as I could my line felt heavey and next thing I know my spinning rod goes flying past me and into the water. My heart instantly sunk into my stomach, my buddy is laughing so hard he couldn't talk. Some how in the 20 feet of water my buddy managed to hook my spinning rod off the bottom and reel it back in.

While in the Marines, me and a few guys in my platoon would go catfishing. One buddy decided to leave his chicken liver on the front porch for a month and then give the "stink bait" a try. We go out one evening, get set up and after lots of gagging and teared up eyes we got the stink bait on his hook. We all cast out and start drinking. We drank and would occasionally check out lines and reel in the slack. After we were all feeling good I looked over and my buddy with the stink bait had unknowingly reeled his slack all the way to about 10 foot from the bank. I start poking fun at him about how his bait isn't even out in the water. He reels his line in the last 10 feet and there was an old decaying catfish head on the end, hooked right in the corner of the lips. We fell out laughing! All we could figure out was that old chicken liver was so ripe that the catfish decayed as soon as it bit the hook.

#56 ·
Me and my uncle was down on the coast fishing for what ever would bite the hook. He had just bought a new ambassador that he was in love with. Thought he pushed the button and turned the bait clicker on but he didn't. We was throwing out some crab nets when he pole went flying over the sea wall. He ran and never made it to find it. About 3 hours later he decided to go buy another one and went back to the same spot. Somehow he caught the fishing pole and reeled it in and the red fish was still on it.

One day me and my cousin was fishing top water for bass. He kept having blow up after blow up but nothing would eat it. I told next time one hits it to jerk it hard as he could... Very next cast one hit it and he jerked so hard the lure flew back and went straight into his mouth!! I don't know why he had his mouth open but I had to get pliers to get it off his tongue

#57 ·
A friend and I were night fishing for stripers on Norfork a few years back in April and it was pitch black with no moon. We were using the big Rattling Rogues with three treble hooks. It was a good night with plenty of bites and for the first hour or so, we were both catching fish. Later on, I was still pulling them in but my friend was getting bumps and jerking but not hooking anything. We kept it up for another hour or so and ended up catching 16 stripers but my friend only caught three of them. When it was time to quit, we swung the lures in to hook them in the rod eye and my friend had one treble hook left and it was the one directly behind the bill. During that first hour of fishing, the stripers had ripped two hooks off his lure. I would add that we through all the fish back.

Cheers.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.