Arkansas Hunting banner

Let's hear some crazy or funny fishing stories

6K views 56 replies 32 participants last post by  fisherman505 
#1 ·
Saw a thread on another forum and got a kick out of it. I have a few from over the years. My brother has done a few silly things when we were younger. He caught a very nice crappie using a rapala husky jerk, the lure was wedged vertically in the crappies mouth, both treble hooks hanging free. He also decided to run a buzz bait past a snapper one time and the snapper snatched it right off the surface, he fought it for a while until the line broke. For the rest of the time we'd see a snapping turtle raise its head out of the water with my brothers buzz bait still hooked in its mouth. Funniest thing I've seen was my brother again being a dummy. We were fishing at a lake in Bella Vista and my brother cast his zara spook close to a blue heron. When the spook hit the water it startled the heron which decided to fly off. Well on take off the heron got its leg caught on the line wrapping the spook around its leg. The heron was flying off running with my brothers drag. He managed to quickly cut the line and watch the heron fly off with about 100 yards of line in tow. We packed up our stuff and left in a hurry.

I made a bad cast once and my plastic worm went over a limb and was hanging just above the water. I let some slack out to swing it back over the limb and a 3-4lb bass exploded onto it and got hooked. I tried to pull the bass over the limb resulting in a broke line. I also had to walk back to the house one day with a pop-r hooked into the seat of my shorts.

See less See more
#2 ·
My Dad left one afternoon to go fishing when I was 17 or so. Solo. Next morning I hear a knock on the door, open it and its my neighbor. Says he went out before daybreak and my Dad had a giant fish hooked, and had been fighting it for hours and wanted me to go with him, bring the big net and he'd take me out to my Dad.

Can't find big net, but I grab a gaff and off we go.

Sure enough .... Dad is in the boat, rod bent double, he's just hanging on. Story was he hooked the fish hours earlier near the twin bridges. It pulled him and the boat literally from bridge to bridge for hours. He hands me the rod and says reel it in or break it off, he don't care.

45 minutes later, the fish come up. Its a striper - belly hooked ..... maybe 70 pounds? 80 pounds ? I've never sen a fish that big.

Dad gaff's it in the gill, starts pulling it up and over, gaff comes unhooked, breaks line .... fish swims away

State record I'd have bet any money on. Mongo

#3 ·
I couldn't have been 12 fishing with my dad on the river one day. I suck at fishing! I love to go but I seriously get lucky every now and then and catch something. This particular day was no different so I worked the net. I realize my dad had something so I rush over to net it. I looked over the side of our boat, and my dad decided to yank the line towards me. That sorry sucker had snagged a water snake! And when he jerked it towards me that snake came at my face with his mouth open!!!!! I'm very scared of snakes and almost fell in over the ordeal.

#4 ·
As kids we had good access to a long hole on Middle fork off of Highway 5. Every other weekend the family would go over there and make a day of it. Dad and Mom fished out of a flat bottom and they had bought me and my brother belly boats. We were always on edge as it was like a high way with water snakes and cottonmouths swimming up, down and across this long hole of water.

I had cast my humpback rebel to the edge of a high, vine covered bank. About two cranks and I got hung on a root under water.
Baits were expensive to us so I pulled myself over to get my lure keeping my eyes to the bank above. After surveying the brush really well I looked down to get by crank bait from the root. Out of my peripheral vision I saw something dark launch itself off of the top of the bank. It landed in my lap, my heart went up my throat and I knew I would get bit. After I got my bearings it was the biggest bullfrog you ever seen. There wasn't enough room in the belly boat for the two of us. I would of loved for somebody to have a video of that. For a few seconds
before I figured out what was in my lap it was pretty entertaining for someone. The bull frog was trying to go out the bottom and I was trying to get out the top.

#5 ·
Was fishing for bass with a buddy on the Tamiami Trail down in Florida one morning and the only lure that was working was a long 3-hook Rapala. We were in a boat and working both banks of the canal and my buddy made a lousy cast and his Rapala ended up 10-feet up on a small branch in a tree. Not to worry says I and when we got the boat directly under the lure, I whipped out my Ruger .22 and told him I'd shoot the branch in two just in front of the lure. Well, maybe it was because the boat was rocking but I shot his darned lure plum in two. He wasn't overly happy and said since I destroyed his lure, I should give him the one on my rod which was the only Rapala I had. I did and he went on to have a marvelous fishing trip out-fishing me three or four fish to one and I never heard the end of it for years. So much for being a good Samaritan.

Cheers.....

#6 ·
Two guys were fishing in a boat under a bridge.

One looks up and sees a funeral procession starting across the bridge.

He stood up, took off his cap, and bowed his head.

The procession crosses the bridge and the man put on his cap, picked up his rod and reel, and continued fishing.

The other guy said, “That was very touching. I didn’t know you had that in you.”

The first guy responded, “Well, it was the right thing to do – after all, I was married to her for 40 years.”

#7 ·
A man was stopped by a game warden in Ontario recently with a 5 gallon bucket full of fish leaving a lake well known for its fishing.
The game warden asked the man: "Can I see your fishing license?"
The man answered the game warden: "No, sir. I wasn't fishing, these are my pet fish."
"Pet fish?!" the warden replied.
"Yes, sir. Every night I take them down to the lake and let them swim around for a while. When I whistle and they come back, jump into the bucket, and I take them home."
"That's a bunch of malarky! Fish can't do that!"
The man looked at the game warden and said: "I can show you, it really true."
"O.K. I've GOT to see this!" the game warden replied.
The man poured the fish in to the water and stood and waited. After several minutes, the game warden turned to the man and said: "Well?"
"Well, what?" the man asked.
"When are you going to call them back?" the game warden prompted.
"Call who back?" the man asked.
"The FISH."
"What fish?" the man asked.

#8 ·
Fishing the water output at Lake SWEPCO one afternoon. There were may e 6 other boats and everyone was catching good bass. If you've never been there, there is about a 30 yd wide mouth where the warm water from the power plant discharges. The bass can stack up on it at times.

In order to fish it you nose the boat in tight, make a cast and float it out. Boats kinda take turns going in and out.

So there's these two guys that keep nosing in ahead of folks and being general pains to everyone. Eventually one of them hung his lure about 25 ft up one of the only small trees on the bank. They proceeded to get out and he was gonna scale that tree.

I kid you not, all six of the other boats stopped to watch cause we knew that tree, like all the others, was dead. Sure enough, as he gets up and just over the water, SNAP! And SPLASH!! The laughter was incredible from all around.

The made a beeline for the ramp and left flying the bird to the rest of us. It was priceless.

#11 ·
Trout fishing on the little red. My partner has never fly fished and has a new rod and wants to try it out. You guessed it, he's whipping that durn thing back and forth and bam, catches me right in the chin. Its super stuck past the barb. Buried. Cant get it out. I pull like heck and the skin on my face is just stretching with it. It was a small hook so it didn't really hurt too much. We fished on for a while and its finally time to go. Went in to the dock at lobo and I says you ever get this in here. He giggles and says yep bout once a year. He grabs a pair of hemos and a paper towel. Braces my head against the wall with his free arm, latches on to the fly and wham just yanks. Hard. Comes out but felt like someone punched me in the face. Applied paper towel and we took off. Then it started hurting.

When we were young we went frog grabbing. My buddy jumps out after one. Misses of course. Its shallow so we cant quite get the boat to the bank to pick him up. There's a limb he can grab to swing himself to the boat but as he makes the attempt my other partner is already going in reverse. He gets his feet to the boat, but unfortunately for him not good enough and he's still hanging onto the tree. He's near horizontal by the time he lets go and splashy splashy he went. That was the first of three baptisms he got that night. Good times.

#12 ·
OK here goes .....My tournament partner and I was fishing a local tournament ....about 30 mins in he stuck a 3+#er on a xcaliber super pop-R.......so I grab the net and run to front and wait to dip it.....about 5 yards out it comes up for a tail walk and spits the bait under full load. The pop-R hits me right in middle of thigh about 6" below my privates (whew). It stung and I thought dang we lost that fish . Well I went to get bait out of my shorts and quickly realized it was deeper than just the shorts! Well I said I can't see exactly how it is stuck......So me buddy gets down on his knees while I'm standing and rolls my shorts leg up (the whole time I'm like "ouch,that hurts! Dang quit pulling on it").....All of a sudden he looks at boat on left ....then right and realizes the appearance of this situation....cuts his line, grabs his rod and says " bud your on your own on this one"......So we finished 2nd with shorts having a big hole in thigh...fishing line trick pops them out every time....even if your partner is no help!

#13 ·
A man was stopped by a game warden in Ontario recently with a 5 gallon bucket full of fish leaving a lake well known for its fishing.
The game warden asked the man: "Can I see your fishing license?"
The man answered the game warden: "No, sir. I wasn't fishing, these are my pet fish."
"Pet fish?!" the warden replied.
"Yes, sir. Every night I take them down to the lake and let them swim around for a while. When I whistle and they come back, jump into the bucket, and I take them home."
"That's a bunch of malarky! Fish can't do that!"
The man looked at the game warden and said: "I can show you, it really true."
"O.K. I've GOT to see this!" the game warden replied.
The man poured the fish in to the water and stood and waited. After several minutes, the game warden turned to the man and said: "Well?"
"Well, what?" the man asked.
"When are you going to call them back?" the game warden prompted.
"Call who back?" the man asked.
"The FISH."
"What fish?" the man asked.
Damn good one! I'm still laughing!!!

#16 ·
CatFishing the AR river with 2 members on here. One in boat with me the other in his own boat. My rider decided it would be funny to throw a small channel cat in the other boat. Well the fish hits him right in the forearm with its horn. Instant swell. Dude was peed off throws the fish in the air and starts unloading his pistol.
Keep in mind we are in city limits and there are people fishing the bank not too far. I decided it was time to leave.
Other boat had no lights and had a bow Fisher take off down shore and almost ran over him. He dropped his pistol in the river. Had to get into his skibbies and swim to find it. Lol. The jerk that started this while episode ended the night falling backwards when his chair broke and went into the river with phone and all in his pockets.
I haven't been catfishing with them since.

#17 ·
Every year for the last 23 years my Illinois hunting buddies come down for a week of bass fishing on lake Ouachita....Well about 10 years ago one evening we were headed back to the dock and there was a Giant big loud boat with a cabin, blondes drinking and all out there gas this big ol load boat headed the same way we were going.....Well my buddy says blow that big things doors off...I had a boat at the time that was a upper 70's rig...So I hit it and when I went past that rig I was clicking at 77 mph....When I passed him I heard him gas the big thing. It was one of those boats you drive standing up and had a bed in the cabin.....(It was a white boat with a Z stripe on the side) Well no more than We passed that boat I heard it getting louder, I said "NO way"! I looked down and was still clicking 77mph...This thing passed me like was was anchored!! I big bearded guy was humping the wheel with 2 blondes drinking and waving when they went by!!!

So that week and rest of the year we were laughing and joking that ZZ top out ran us!!!....Fast forward 2 years, I was at marina getting gas and look idling out of one the docks and it was the big white boat ....I told my buddy look there is that rig that spanked us a couple years ago! The kid at the dock said "you know who that is?" I said no! He said that is Billy Gibbons from ZZ top! Me and my buddy just fell out laughing as we have been calling it ZZ top for past 2 years just because of the bearded driver!!! Dock guy said the boat had 2-502ci big blocks in it!

#18 ·
Got a hook in past the barb this yr while catching Hybrids with #1 daughter,she had one on and told me we don't have time for that! I jerked it out and netted her fish and of course removed the hook.She went right back to catch another one,cold harded that one!

#19 ·
Two old guys were out fishing in a boat, when The guy in front is cussin about his false teeth hurting all the time. He keeps taking them out and putting them back in, and becoming madder by the minute. With a loud curse, he finally yanks them out and puts them on the middle seat behind him and goes on fishing.

The guy in back of the boat, with an evil looking grin on his face, sneakily takes his own false teeth out and puts them on the middle seat, taking the other old guys teeth and putting them in his shirt pocket!
After a while, the front guy turns around and gets "his" teeth. He tries unsuccessfully to plug them into his mouth. When he realizes he cant, he curses vehemently and heaves them as far away into the water as he can, saying, "The hell with it, they never did fit right from day one."

In complete shock, the second fisherman takes the other set of teeth from his pocket and hurled them as far as he could into the water and said, "I hear ya, Mine did'nt ever fit me either."

#20 ·
My X-Wife and I were fishing Big Creek above the Bogey access on Norfork. We had been catching small white bass all day. I think we had a string of 11 or 13 casts in a row with a caught fish. It was crazy. The only trouble was that we were catching the small males. All day we had been watching a couple Bald Eagles off in some trees. I noticed one of them start flying toward us and we both stopped fishing to watch this magnificent bird. It was only a speck in the sky. It was very very high in the sky and directly overhead. All of a sudden it tucked it's wings and nose dived. It was dropping like a rock and coming right at us. It hit the water about 15' from the boat. It was incredible. The water from it hitting so hard sprayed us in the boat. It was like a huge belly flop. Almost as quickly as it hit the water, it flapped those tremendous wings and rose directly overhead with the biggest White Bass of the day. It couldn't of been more than 20' overhead as it circled our boat 3 times and then flew off to what we think was a nest in those trees. I still believe today that the Bald Eagle came over to show us how to catch the big whites and then circled us to show off its catch. I've never seen anything in the wild to top it. It was early 90's. We didn't have iPhones then. I sure wish I had that one on tape. It was an incredible display.

#21 ·
My X-Wife and I were fishing Big Creek above the Bogey access on Norfork. We had been catching small white bass all day. I think we had a string of 11 or 13 casts in a row with a caught fish. It was crazy. The only trouble was that we were catching the small males. All day we had been watching a couple Bald Eagles off in some trees. I noticed one of them start flying toward us and we both stopped fishing to watch this magnificent bird. It was only a speck in the sky. It was very very high in the sky and directly overhead. All of a sudden it tucked it's wings and nose dived. It was dropping like a rock and coming right at us. It hit the water about 15' from the boat. It was incredible. The water from it hitting so hard sprayed us in the boat. It was like a huge belly flop. Almost as quickly as it hit the water, it flapped those tremendous wings and rose directly overhead with the biggest White Bass of the day. It couldn't of been more than 20' overhead as it circled our boat 3 times and then flew off to what we think was a nest in those trees. I still believe today that the Bald Eagle came over to show us how to catch the big whites and then circled us to show off its catch. I've never seen anything in the wild to top it. It was early 90's. We didn't have iPhones then. I sure wish I had that one on tape. It was an incredible display.
That had to be a very rare thing, as Bald Eagles very seldom hit the water with anything but their talons. Osprey look very much like B.Eagles to the untrained eye, and they hit the water when they catch fish, and are often confused for B.Eagles. Either way, that had to be quite a rare treat to watch.:clap::clap::clap::up:

#22 ·
That had to be a very rare thing, as Bald Eagles very seldom hit the water with anything but their talons. Osprey look very much like B.Eagles to the untrained eye, and they hit the water when they catch fish, and are often confused for B.Eagles. Either way, that had to be quite a rare treat to watch.:clap::clap::clap::up:
My eye is untrained (I don't even know what an osprey is but I'm going to google it) but we have Bald Eagles in Elizabeth on those bluffs. We watch them all the time. The colony has grown to at least 6 adults the last time I knew.

It did hit with talons first but it hit that water very hard. It was amazing. It all happened so fast. The bird was only on the water for a second.

Edit. Just googled. I'm going to be very disappointed if our colony of Bald Eagles are Osprey.

#23 ·
Didn't you witness one of our very own members go over the front and do a belly flop one day?
Well it was December 2014..........my jig got caught in my trolling motor and it was windy......... I pulled my trolling motor up thinking I had time to do a quick untangle. Well I wasn't paying attention to where I was at and smoked a bridge piling. I looked up just in time to see which way it was to the surface. Did not expect it in the least little bit. So I get climbed back in my boat and retrieve a couple rods. Well at this point im thinking my day is over. Then I got to thinking, no way no how am I gonna fall in and head to the truck looking like a complete idiot in front of 20 peopl that was laughing at me. So I thought to myself, Im about to show these boys how a real*crappie*fisherman deals with something like this. Momma didn't raise no little :censored:*......so I pulled my pants off like a boss, put some dry ones on and and got back at it.I gotta admit though I was cold as crap. I thought it was hilarious. I just wish someone would have got it on film. Dlea go to witness the whole thing.

#24 ·
Had something similar happen back in Float Creek, Doug. Was over a brush pile and pulling crappie in from 35-feet down. A few were to small so I chucked them back over the side. Well, at that deep, the poor things had an air bladder full and were floating around on the surface. Usually, after a bit, they expel the air and go on their way. Anyway, an Eagle on the other side of the creek jumped off his perch and swooped in and captured one of the crappie while it was still floating. Maybe 10 feet behind the boat. Made a heck of a splash and definitely a bad day for the crappie.

Cheers.....

#25 ·
My eye is untrained (I don't even know what an osprey is but I'm going to google it) but we have Bald Eagles in Elizabeth on those bluffs. We watch them all the time. The colony has grown to at least 6 adults the last time I knew.

It did hit with talons first but it hit that water very hard. It was amazing. It all happened so fast. The bird was only on the water for a second.

Edit. Just googled. I'm going to be very disappointed if our colony of Bald Eagles are Osprey.
Those two statements are in favor of the bald eagle, but a wet bald eagle is one that has a very hard time getting back into the air. I'm not saying you are wrong, I hope you don't think I'm being horsey, just pointing out what Jane Gully taught me years ago when I reported the very same sighting, with a large mouth bass being the unlucky eagle meal!:biggrin:

#26 ·
Every year for the last 23 years my Illinois hunting buddies come down for a week of bass fishing on lake Ouachita....Well about 10 years ago one evening we were headed back to the dock and there was a Giant big loud boat with a cabin, blondes drinking and all out there gas this big ol load boat headed the same way we were going.....Well my buddy says blow that big things doors off...I had a boat at the time that was a upper 70's rig...So I hit it and when I went past that rig I was clicking at 77 mph....When I passed him I heard him gas the big thing. It was one of those boats you drive standing up and had a bed in the cabin.....(It was a white boat with a Z stripe on the side) Well no more than We passed that boat I heard it getting louder, I said "NO way"! I looked down and was still clicking 77mph...This thing passed me like was was anchored!! I big bearded guy was humping the wheel with 2 blondes drinking and waving when they went by!!!

So that week and rest of the year we were laughing and joking that ZZ top out ran us!!!....Fast forward 2 years, I was at marina getting gas and look idling out of one the docks and it was the big white boat ....I told my buddy look there is that rig that spanked us a couple years ago! The kid at the dock said "you know who that is?" I said no! He said that is Billy Gibbons from ZZ top! Me and my buddy just fell out laughing as we have been calling it ZZ top for past 2 years just because of the bearded driver!!! Dock guy said the boat had 2-502ci big blocks in it!
I thought it was Doug hodges

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.