Arkansas Hunting banner

Let's hear some crazy or funny fishing stories

6K views 56 replies 32 participants last post by  fisherman505 
My X-Wife and I were fishing Big Creek above the Bogey access on Norfork. We had been catching small white bass all day. I think we had a string of 11 or 13 casts in a row with a caught fish. It was crazy. The only trouble was that we were catching the small males. All day we had been watching a couple Bald Eagles off in some trees. I noticed one of them start flying toward us and we both stopped fishing to watch this magnificent bird. It was only a speck in the sky. It was very very high in the sky and directly overhead. All of a sudden it tucked it's wings and nose dived. It was dropping like a rock and coming right at us. It hit the water about 15' from the boat. It was incredible. The water from it hitting so hard sprayed us in the boat. It was like a huge belly flop. Almost as quickly as it hit the water, it flapped those tremendous wings and rose directly overhead with the biggest White Bass of the day. It couldn't of been more than 20' overhead as it circled our boat 3 times and then flew off to what we think was a nest in those trees. I still believe today that the Bald Eagle came over to show us how to catch the big whites and then circled us to show off its catch. I've never seen anything in the wild to top it. It was early 90's. We didn't have iPhones then. I sure wish I had that one on tape. It was an incredible display.

That had to be a very rare thing, as Bald Eagles very seldom hit the water with anything but their talons. Osprey look very much like B.Eagles to the untrained eye, and they hit the water when they catch fish, and are often confused for B.Eagles. Either way, that had to be quite a rare treat to watch.:clap::clap::clap::up:
My eye is untrained (I don't even know what an osprey is but I'm going to google it) but we have Bald Eagles in Elizabeth on those bluffs. We watch them all the time. The colony has grown to at least 6 adults the last time I knew.

It did hit with talons first but it hit that water very hard. It was amazing. It all happened so fast. The bird was only on the water for a second.

Edit. Just googled. I'm going to be very disappointed if our colony of Bald Eagles are Osprey.

Those two statements are in favor of the bald eagle, but a wet bald eagle is one that has a very hard time getting back into the air. I'm not saying you are wrong, I hope you don't think I'm being horsey, just pointing out what Jane Gully taught me years ago when I reported the very same sighting, with a large mouth bass being the unlucky eagle meal!:biggrin:
No. I don't think so. I just thought bald Eagle all these years. I'm pretty sure those birds still nest down there. I'll me fishing there pretty soon.

A friend and I were fishing a series of ponds that were stacked and spring fed. In the last and biggest pond the Imported Florida bass were spawning. He caught two bass over 8 lbs while fishing for one that was much larger on a bed. She would go at his spinnerbait snd hit it with her tail or bump it. After a few of these misses she opened her mouth and he saw it happen and he set the hook too quick. That spinner bait came at him like a rocket and hit his arm sinking that barb in about an inch. No way we were getting it out so he tied on another lure of some kind and we fished for that 15 lb (guessing) bass for a couple more hours throwing everything we had in our tackle box. He finally got to hurting so bad that we went to a clinic in Maumelle and had it removed. They deadened everything and pushed the barb through his arm so they could cut the barb off and get it out. Ouch!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.