Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a hard time figuring out what happened on the 8 point I shot Thursday. Good shot placement, but the deer went about 200 yards. I came up on the deer and he wasn't dead, and he jumped up and ran another 150 yards before giving it up. Very difficult blood trail to follow, but we did find him. So what happened??? Dull broadhead. Punched through--arrow completely passed through, just evidently didn't cut like it should have. I knew better, but I thought they were sharp. I realized just how dull they were when I tried pushing the broadhead through a doubled up plastic Wal-Mart sack. The plastic had to stretch over the blades before it would basically tear through. With the new blades, it went through with virturally no effort. Good lesson re-learned, and I'm glad it turned out as good as it did. On the doe today, same arrow, deer standing in the same spot as the 8 pt., but with new blades installed, complete pass-through again, good blood trail, deer went maybe 40 yards. Sometimes we forget about the basics. Check your broadheads! By the way, when your broadheads get dull, do you buy new blades (I use the 4 blade Muzzy) or do you resharpen yours? If you sharpen them, what is the best sharpener to use?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I never have a problem getting the Montecs sharp, they just tend to dull to easy for my taste. I start with a fine mill bastard file then use a fine stone to finish. Just having them in the quiver dulls them.

Boom

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
I had a hard time figuring out what happened on the 8 point I shot Thursday. Good shot placement, but the deer went about 200 yards. I came up on the deer and he wasn't dead, and he jumped up and ran another 150 yards before giving it up. Very difficult blood trail to follow, but we did find him. So what happened??? Dull broadhead. Punched through--arrow completely passed through, just evidently didn't cut like it should have. I knew better, but I thought they were sharp. I realized just how dull they were when I tried pushing the broadhead through a doubled up plastic Wal-Mart sack. The plastic had to stretch over the blades before it would basically tear through. With the new blades, it went through with virturally no effort. Good lesson re-learned, and I'm glad it turned out as good as it did. On the doe today, same arrow, deer standing in the same spot as the 8 pt., but with new blades installed, complete pass-through again, good blood trail, deer went maybe 40 yards. Sometimes we forget about the basics. Check your broadheads! By the way, when your broadheads get dull, do you buy new blades (I use the 4 blade Muzzy) or do you resharpen yours? If you sharpen them, what is the best sharpener to use?
First thing I told Half-Credit when he told me about your kill...Had the same thing happen to me a couple years ago...:smack:

·
Super Moderator
14,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You were right Buzz. I appreciate you pointing that out. You can't just look at a broadhead and see if it's sharp. That "Wal-Mart sack test" really told a lot though. You killed anything lately????

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I use Muzzy 4 blade heads too....the last several packs were bought on the clearance aisle at Wally World after season. Compared to the cost of most of my other hunting gear I don't even think twice about using new heads and blades every year....seems like a pretty good bargain to me. Mine have always been very sharp out of the package.

.270Win

·
Registered
23,321 Posts
Any luck sharpening them they are a pain to put an edge on thats what I'm using for now.........:confused:
The thing most people don't realize is the cut on a different angle than most 3-bladed broadheads and if your trying to cut that surgical scalpel edge your going to have to take a lot a metal off them. I'll hit my about 12 lucks each on the stone and strap, then ya don't dare run your finger down them unless you just enjoy bleeding.

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,582 Posts
I use Muzzy 4 blade heads too....the last several packs were bought on the clearance aisle at Wally World after season. Compared to the cost of most of my other hunting gear I don't even think twice about using new heads and blades every year....seems like a pretty good bargain to me. Mine have always been very sharp out of the package.

.270Win
I haven't been able to find the 4-blade muzzys[replacements]....I need some baaaaad!:confused:

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Always had good luck with Muzzys don't have any complaint there but am going to try the Slick Tricks this year.....they look to me to be similar but the slicks seem to have worked out the broad head aero dynamics a little better....IMO :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Fc

Make the move brother to slick trick. You won't regret it. I shot muzzy's for over 10 years. When they started selling at Wal-Mart I think their quality slipped just a little. I started getting a lot of wobble in my arrow on the spin test and I was not satisfied with that. Of course just my opinion. Regardless blades are too cheap not to just replace with new ones if you have heads that come apart. Now the G5's different story. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Fullcredit you can resharpen replacement blade broadheads. I do it all the time, only time I change blades is if one is bent or badly nicked up. I bought the R3 stones from bowhunterssuperstore. I shoot Wasp bullets and resharpen every time one of my broadheads have been shot even into foan broadhead targets.

I always use a taunt rubber band to check sharpness. The taunt rubberband ressembles arteries and viens which are elastic. The cutting each should sever the rubberband in one pass to be sharp enough.

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,582 Posts
I can promise ya I'm glad FC brought this thread up, because I spent half a day re-sharpening 5 muzzy 4-blade heads, and I killed two deer with them! I have a "Smith" sharpening kit that sets the angle perfectly and has three stones the third being an Arkansas oil stone. Thanks FC! Happy short bloodtrails to ya!:up:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.