Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An aquaintance of mine who also started trapping this year, found out I was trapping as well, calls me the other day and tells me he caught a bobcat. I was happy for him but kind of envious cause I can't seem to catch a cold. It was after a friend told me about the 3rd bobcat and a coyote he had caught that I was like "dangit man, what kind of sets is he using?" It was then that he told me that the guy found a deer carcass that someone had only cut the backstraps out of so he cut it into a bunch of small pieces and scattered it all over the ground and set his traps in amongst all of the meat...other than the fact that he's tresspassing to do all of this, Is that legal? Am I being a hater cause I can't catch nothing legal?

· Super Member<br>'08 Smackdown Team Winner
2,657 Posts
From the latest AGFC Code of Regulations "Code Book" dated 01/01/12

17.01 REGULAR FURBEARING SEASON TRAP RESTRICTIONS
04-11
It is unlawful in fields or woods to possess or use any cable-restraining device (snare) or trap during open furbearing animals seasons (Addendum A1.05) without complying with the following restrictions:
(A) Bait Restrictions:
Animal matter, including meat, skin, bones, feathers, hair or any other solid substance that used to be part of an animal, may not be used as bait within 20 feet of a trap set, unless it is adequately covered to prevent it being seen from above. The cover also must withstand wave and wind action or other normal environmental conditions that could cause the bait to become visible.

· Registered
1,509 Posts
I have a similar question - me and my son kill a lot of ducks I dump the carcasses on a ridge across from the house - I realize I cannot trap using the actual carcasses or set a trap within 20 feet but I assume I can set up a flat set or stake set in the same area as long as I am not within 20 feet right - I set up a camera and got some good yote and cats hitting those carcasses -

· Registered
5,700 Posts
I have a similar question - me and my son kill a lot of ducks I dump the carcasses on a ridge across from the house - I realize I cannot trap using the actual carcasses or set a trap within 20 feet but I assume I can set up a flat set or stake set in the same area as long as I am not within 20 feet right - I set up a camera and got some good yote and cats hitting those carcasses -
you are correct. I'd sure hate it though if a yote or cat drug a carcass close to a trap the morning the GW was out checking things. Just a thought.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.