Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is the lee hand reloading press any good ? it comes with a die set the one you squeeze with tour hand not a press. thinking about it for a .45 acp then i'm not sure. money is tight don't care if it takes all evening to reload 50 rounds. i do not shoot that much but 45 acp is a bit pricey per box.

·
Registered
11,693 Posts
If you're wanting to go cheap, I would get the lee calenger press kit. You get everything you need for reloading for about $100, and a whole lot less hassle. I would think that hand press would be a big pain in the butt, especially for hand gun where you're going to be loading a lot.If my powder thrower is on good, I can load about 1 every 30-45 seconds. With some powders it's more like 15 seconds. I'm just gussing, but I think that's a lot faster than a hand press.It will work or they wouldn't still be selling them, but it will be a lot harder. IMHO

·
Administrator
90,713 Posts
I'll agree with john. If you can afford even the most inexpensive press you will be ahead on the Lee hand press. To answer your question, though, you can load ammo that will shoot just fine on the hand press. Averaging 1 per minute is probably a good rate, so around a box or so an hour will be your output. When I was a newly wed about 28 years ago, and $$ was real tight, I started with the Lee hand press, and I loaded a ton of 38 Special and 357 Mag with it. I used it for probably a year or 2 until I picked up a cheap press, and it has gone on from there.

If your volume of shooting is low, and you are not 100% sure if reloading is for you, this is an inexpensive way to see if this is a hobby you want to get in to.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. We have several experienced reloaders on the board and they are all more than willing to help you out.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have a Lee hand press I bring it to work when I'm on nights. It's great for that. but I wouldn't want it to be my only press. I also have a couple Lee loaders. they work fine but it's the same kind of deal I wouldn't want it to be my only way to reload. Alot of folks start out with tools like that.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Any handloading is better than no handloading.
I agree. I thought about starting for years before I finely did. I'm still green at have only been doing it for 2&1/2 years I still learn something every time I set down at my bench. any one thinking about it should take the plunge start with what ever equipment they can get. It doesn't have to be expendsive.
another reason to start But I don't know if it's true a man I work with told me today Obama Says there should be a 400% fed tax on all ammo. I don't know if thats fact or a rumor

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.