Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't wait till saturday morning. We are heading to Fourchon, LA. for our yearly 2 day Tuna fishing trip. I hope the seas are calm and the fish are biting. I hope to have some good pics when i return. The last time i went there were 16 of us and we had the Yellowfins cornered by an oil rig from 9:30 at night till 5:30 the next morning. We had some dandy fish ranging from 35lbs. to 110lbs. Hope this year is just as good.

· Registered
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would love too. If we had an extra space. There will be 13 of us and man do we have a blast. Last year i didn't get to go:smack: and the guys got a 350lb. Mako shark in the boat. I can't wait.

· Super Moderator
14,363 Posts
Good luck on your trip. We caught some blackfin tuna on our trip to the Gulf, and they were a blast! Not sure I'd be able to catch a bunch of 100 pounders! We haven't been out on a night trip, but maybe we'll consider that one of these days. We always have a great time fishing the rigs for snapper and whatever else is hanging around.

· Registered
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We usally catch some blackfin too. Man them Tuna are awsome eating fish. They will really spoil you. I don't think i can ever eat Tuna out of a can again. You should try the overnight trip it is pretty cool and makes for some really good pics at night with them oil rigs all lit up. I know a 30 to 60lb. Tuna will either make a man out of you or take the man out of you.

· Super Moderator
14,363 Posts
Good luck. Hope you catch lots of fish. We are not going to get to go this year. My friend that has a camp at Cocodrie just had back surgery. It's down for most of the summer.
Now Bett---there's several charters available down at Cocodrie. It might cost ya a little more though......... I'll gladly recommend the one we used. Just let me know if you need more info.

· Registered
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good luck. Hope you catch lots of fish. We are not going to get to go this year. My friend that has a camp at Cocodrie just had back surgery. It's down for most of the summer.
Hate to hear that Bett. I bet you probably get to go a little more than me being close and all. I hope to catch lots of fish. I know i will have a good time.

· Registered
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well i am back now. I had a good time but the fishing wasn't great. We came back with 1500lbs of fish and our biggest was a 44lb. yellowfin tuna. My camera broke before i could get any pictures so that sucked but we still had a good time. We just couldn't find the big yellowfin's but we caught a limit of blackfin tuna between 10-15lbs and a limit of red snapper with our biggest being 15 lbs. Had some big fish break us off a couple times...it was all good though. I also came home with 10lbs of fresh jumbo shrimp so they should be good. Oh well you can't win everytime. I am sure next year i will be back out there on them.

· Registered
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1500 pounds and the fishing wasn't that great?? What's considered a good trip??

Sounds like you had fun, anyway. That's all that matters. :thumb:
We usually catch about 3,000lbs. with the yellowfins ranging from 35lbs. to 110lbs. Our Amber Jacks usually are running 30lbs+ with limits on Tuna and Amber Jacks. We usually catch some Snappers but not as many as we did this year. We did have some really nice snapper's though. It was fun but we have definately done better.

· Registered
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Any suspicion on the fish that broke of....Yellowfin? Shark?
I am pretty sure it was probably a big Grouper. It was really quite funny. Everyone was catching red snapper and the captain had me baited with about a 7lb. fish carcass. He had me drop it to the bottom and crank up 7 times on the suspicion there would be a big grouper on the bottom and sure enough...he slammed it immediatley and it was all i could do just to get the rod in the fighting belt. However it was shortlived. He snapped 120lb. test line like it was nothing. Now that will get you pumped.

· Registered
10,307 Posts
Now Bett---there's several charters available down at Cocodrie. It might cost ya a little more though......... I'll gladly recommend the one we used. Just let me know if you need more info.
I ain't never chartered in my life. James Authement (pronounced O-te-maa)would get out of his sick bed to kick my butt if I paid somebody to take me fishing. I'll just have to wait until he feels better.

· Registered
10,307 Posts
I am pretty sure it was probably a big Grouper. It was really quite funny. Everyone was catching red snapper and the captain had me baited with about a 7lb. fish carcass. He had me drop it to the bottom and crank up 7 times on the suspicion there would be a big grouper on the bottom and sure enough...he slammed it immediatley and it was all i could do just to get the rod in the fighting belt. However it was shortlived. He snapped 120lb. test line like it was nothing. Now that will get you pumped.
WOW! I bet that was a doozie. Bet it was fun for a little while.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.