Leaf River - CF(Compact Flash) card ???'s

Discussion in 'Trail Cams and Photography' started by lac, Dec 29, 2010.

1. lac

lac Well-Known Member

I just purchased a new Leaf River game cam.
    I hope it was a good deal. All of my game
    cameras use SD cards, but this one uses a
    CF card. Anyone have any experience with
    these cameras or cards? Which ones should
    I buy? The biggest negative appears to be
    that to look at the pics I have to bring the
    camera back to the house, or I would have
    to buy an adapter for my comp. Any help
    or any info. would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance...

2. lac

lac Well-Known Member

CF ???'s

Alright, I'm seriously getting concerned about the purchase
    of my new camera. 36 views and no one knows anything
    about a CF card as compared to an SD card???

3. Lab

Lab Well-Known Member

I have a leaf river aswell and have had some probms PM me your number I would love to discuss this with you. I have called Leaf River and recieved advice from the factory on the camera but so far no luck.

4. gunrunner1983

gunrunner1983 Well-Known Member

Between me and my family we have around 15 leaf river cameras only one has had to go back to the factory because the flash quit working. Other than that we love them!

5. QCDually5.9

QCDually5.9 Well-Known Member

I've got 4 of them (digitals) myself. If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably have went another direction. Having said that, I have had little problems with them AFTER my learning curve. The most important factors with them are 1) Dont use cheap batteries, they are particular about that. 2) There is one brand of CF card that they don't like. 3) Do NOT store the camera in the off season with the batteries inside. They can't take that either. 4) Learn the exact steps needed to operate the camera and don't be surprised if it doesn't work when you don't follow those steps. Other then that, a CF adapter can be had for your computer for <$10. Cards are cheap but are being phased out. The newest model now uses the SD card. I've had to send one back for repair. Service was quick but not free. Not all that happy about that considering each camera set me back $300-400 ea.

6. QCDually5.9

Let me know what your problem is and I might be able to point you in the right direction.

7. lac

lac Well-Known Member

CF card ?

QCDually, you the man. Really, I was just wanting
    some info. on operating them. I have Moultries that
    use SD cards. The Moultries go through the batteries
    like crazy? So, if I buy good batteries and find some
    CF cards I should be good to go for the Leaf River game
    cams. Thanks again for the help and info. We'll see what
    happens.

8. QCDually5.9

Yes, like I said earlier. Once you figure out the exact steps needed for whatever operation you want, you're good to go. If it's acting up, it's probably a user error or one of the above mentioned. Good luck with it. Also, since CF cards are on their way out, you'll probably have to go to Radio Shack to find one. (Checked wally world afew weeks ago for a spare and they don't carry them) DO NOT get above a 1G card. It will in all likelyhood not work. The good is that a 1G will hold lots of pics.

9. QCDually5.9

Also, the battery life in the camera is not bad. Probably good in comparison to others. But Duracell is the ONLY battery to use. I've had brand new brand x batteries give me fits before the factory told me how to correct my problem.

10. lac

lac Well-Known Member

Cf

Thanks again. U r definitely helping me out.

11. The first digital camera I had used a CF. I bought a CF reader at Wally World for $19. I'll look and see if I still have it. You would be more than welcome to it if I do. Just plug it into your computer, insert card and you can view and import pictures easily.

12. lac

lac Well-Known Member

Cf

Huntingdoc,
    That would be great. I unintentionally purchased
    this camera not knowing it used CF cards. If you
    had some CF cards I would definitely be interested
    in purchasing those as well. Academy had this camera
    marked down to $48.00, they said regular $150 - $160.
    Still seems like a good deal. Leaf River Model DC - 2BU.

13. QCDually5.9

WOW!... They must be getting ready to come out with some newer models... or they are feeling the crunch. Their prices are marked down nearly 50%. Here is a quote concerning the memory card. They are not joking.
    Lexar Platinum II CF cards are not recommended with the models that take CF cards.

14. lac

lac Well-Known Member

Cf

I guess I better by all the CF cards I can find!

15. kfarm

kfarm Well-Known Member

I've got a 64mb CF card I have no use for, I know it's small now days but when it was used it was huge. If you want it you can have it.

16. QCDually5.9

Man, when that thing was new, I was still using 1.44mb floppys. You had something with that! But then again, I'm buying micro cards now with more G's then what my first couple of tower based puters had. :smack: