Arkansas Hunting banner

Do you lay'um down or hang em up?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you hang your deer or lay'um down on a table to do the work on em? One of my buddies can not work on deer hangin from a gambrel in a tree, he has to have them laying flat on a table.... kinda wierd... I was just wondering.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
I do both at the same time :wink: We have a system that works very well for us. After field dressing we lay the deer in the bed of the truck and cut around the neck and peel the hide back 5-6". Then we wrap a golf ball up in the hide and put a chain around it (slip knot with the chain so it tightens up). The other end of the chain is hooked to a tree. Then you chain the deer to the truck bed and pull up until the deer is suspended. If the bed isn't clean you can slip a piece of plastic sheeting under it then. Once the plastic is under there you drive it on up to the cooler and let it hang until you're ready to butcher it. Works best if you have someone to help. We used to hang the deer from a tree and drag the hide off with the truck, but this seems to work better for us.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Funny, as I was struggling through my de-boning of a quartered up doe i had in the cooler the past few nights in my kitchen, my wife says to me "This is bull:censored:, we are taking the next ones you kill to a pro!"....sounded pretty good to me, butchering is a big pain, the cleaning, gutting, quartering i don't mind, but a good meat cutter, I am not.

·
Select Member<br>2014 Team Turkey Contest Winner
3,857 Posts
hang em, jerk the hide off, quarter em, lay em on a cutting board and cut em up. :up:

i guess i do both. :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My friend worked for a deer processor during the deer seasons in MO. Some guys would hang them, some would work on the table. Ben always prefered to work on the table, said he could do better cutting up the meat.... But this is the same guy that puked every morning before starting work, cuz he couldnt stomach the smell of the processing area....:fit:
I have always hung mine up until he showed me how to cut them on the tables....i thought it was easier too...

Thanks for the input guys!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts