Arkansas Hunting banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,526 Posts
I'm sorry, I didn't intend to imply you were using bad numbers. I'm sure you aren't.

What I meant was the way questions are phrased and who is asked and even when they are asked can produce results which are not actually accurate but meet the desires of those asking.

"Do you want to see/kill bigger bucks?" is a horrible question because everyone says yes to that. A better question is "Are you willing not to kill a buck every year in order to see bigger bucks?" Honest men answer that one differently.

Again, I have nothing against you or what you want or what you represent. More power to you! Just let me shoot my 110" 8pt and be happy is all I ask.
my figures are not skewed, that IS one think That IS reproducible MY figures......

Camp life was destroyed when we went to the continous 5 week season and dropped the two seasons where we went to camp on Friday or sat or Sunday to get things ready for opening day on Monda
Back thenwe did a bunch together because we were at camp together getting roads, the camp, the stands Readyfor openingday

I see both sides and have taken both sides.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
"In my 65 years of measuring I have found that a hunter that doesn’t want a trophy scored has a back story."
I don't necessarily know if that means something nefarious or could mean they are private, secretive, etc...A backstory could mean multiple things. I know as Ive gotten older I put next to nothing about my sporting accolades out there. This is true in more than just hunting 4 legged deer as well..

·
Grand Member
13,081 Posts
"In my 65 years of measuring I have found that a hunter that doesn’t want a trophy scored has a back story."
10-15 years ago I would have said "probably so in most cases", not now though. The way folks get treated and accused of being unlawful or unethical just for killing a good deer makes you want to keep it just between family and close friends. This is about as civil a place as you'll find on the web and how many times on here have you seen the response, "That ain't no Arkansas deer" or "Had to be behind a fence" to someone posting a good deer? And then there are the folks that don't want the location advertised for fear of losing a lease or just getting crowded out on public land. I know several folks that are very good at scoring a deer, but are not official, but will keep their mouths shut, they score a lot more deer than anyone knows. One of them is my son. He's good friends with a local taxidermist and scores for him for folks that want to know what their deer will score, but don't want it public. It would surprise most people to know how many he does every year. I'm sure there are more than him doing it.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Backstory.............
Quote.................,
I don't necessarily know if that means something nefarious or could mean they are private, secretive, etc...A backstory could mean multiple things.

Well said up to this point.

I made no accusations or said anyone was dishonest. Just said backstory, as I have heard for years. I have driven for hundreds of miles to score deer with back stories, two I know were illegal. There were lots of them questionable. I have accused no one because I can’t be the judge. I’m just there to measure and am thankful for the invite.
I can have my opinions and that’s my freedom of speech thingy. I can even jump to an opinion as several jump to do. But an invite to score is an invite to score and is at the invite of the hunter.
Even when you bring a trophy in to score .... I’ll ask you to enter it if it makes the records.

But as I said earlier... I have over 100 I have scored that would make the book in my briefcase.? Did you hear my BackStory on them ???????

Not unless you were in the present of the hunter and me.

Now let’s talk (post) about the Tennessee / Kentucky thingy or the
Alabama past and present problems or the Success of Arkansas’s 3 point rule.
Or start another thread about nefarious Backstories

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
You have a passion for something that drives you. I 100% respect that.
I don't hunt much where high scoring deer are even somewhat plentiful, but have been fortunate to kill 2 P&Y bucks. Both 100% legal and nothing to hide. That said, neither one will ever see a record book.
There's just two sides to every story. I think more and more hunters are getting sick and tired of all the bs Facebook, Instagram, etc, have created in the hunting world. And don't want the negative repercussions that come from killing a big deer and the world finding out.

·
Administrator
81,431 Posts
Scorers want to score everything thinking everyone wants to see their name in print. Hunters just want to remember the hunt without all the drama and baggage that goes with it.

All it takes is a picture of a big deer on this forum. Before the first page is done there are comments about poaching or other nefarious activities. Folks are just tired of the drama.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Congrats,
I missed my only chance at a P&Y in Columbia county back years ago and yes it might have made B&C ..... I failed but its a great story and I will always count it as one of my best hunts....

·
Registered
195 Posts
About The Kentucky number of B&C bucks, 2 main reasons for that. Unbelievable deer habitat with plenty of corn and soybeans. The other thing is they have a ONE buck limit in that state. Of course most of all their big deer come from the western side where all the Agriculture is located. I’m fortunate to be able to hunt in the delta where there is a greater chance of a bigger deer. But if I hunted in the pine thickets of south Arkansas I’d more than likely shoot whatever came by.

·
Registered
19,145 Posts
And let me add, whoever killed that buck on the far right was a deer hunting master in camp for the week. His shoulders got broader, his head swelled a little. He got peppered with questions all week. He went in to long philosophical rants by the campfire at night why everyone should stop shooting dinks because he was a prime example of what you could kill if you just passed up those small bucks.

·
Registered
19,145 Posts
10-15 years ago I would have said "probably so in most cases", not now though. The way folks get treated and accused of being unlawful or unethical just for killing a good deer makes you want to keep it just between family and close friends. This is about as civil a place as you'll find on the web and how many times on here have you seen the response, "That ain't no Arkansas deer" or "Had to be behind a fence" to someone posting a good deer? And then there are the folks that don't want the location advertised for fear of losing a lease or just getting crowded out on public land. I know several folks that are very good at scoring a deer, but are not official, but will keep their mouths shut, they score a lot more deer than anyone knows. One of them is my son. He's good friends with a local taxidermist and scores for him for folks that want to know what their deer will score, but don't want it public. It would surprise most people to know how many he does every year. I'm sure there are more than him doing it.
Very good point, this forum curtails the shade. I've seen bucks posted here and most times the folks that come out of the wood work have never been on this forum. Zero posts and they come to throw speculation or shade on the buck just to tarnish the hunter because some buddy saw it posted here and they tell their other buddies who might have been hunting the buck. It's super bad on other forums.

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
And let me add, whoever killed that buck on the far right was a deer hunting master in camp for the week. His shoulders got broader, his head swelled a little. He got peppered with questions all week. He went in to long philosophical rants by the campfire at night why everyone should stop shooting dinks because he was a prime example of what you could kill if you just passed up those small bucks.
Nailed it!

·
Premium Member
26,759 Posts
It is what it is ..Boss..Right on..
Scorers want to score everything thinking everyone wants to see their name in print. Hunters just want to remember the hunt without all the drama and baggage that goes with it.

All it takes is a picture of a big deer on this forum. Before the first page is done there are comments about poaching or other nefarious activities. Folks are just tired of the drama.
We kin?

·
Premium Member
26,759 Posts
I am your Neighbor in Sharp county..

Quit shooting Dinks..Spikes..Lol

Just kidding....Lol

·
Premium Member
26,759 Posts
What sam said..
Sam I would vote for you as President..
Make a Good one..

·
Premium Member
26,759 Posts
Been Urban Hunting 3 years now..4 Different areas...Wow!!
Hunting in Folks back yard..Deer are like pets..no pressure...Very well protected..

Some Big Bucks are feeding under
Million dollar homes..Bird Feeders!!!!!

Some Dandies...

41 - 60 of 61 Posts