Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
6,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I already planted over half the food plot with winter wheat, oats, clover and brassica in October and it's doing great, but was
thinking of planting something that would give them some new growth into the late spring and early summer.
Any ideas ? I was thinking that winter wheat & clover would probably grow especially as mild of winter as we have had so far.

· Registered
56 Posts
You can plant any of the previously mentioned cool season grains in the early spring. If i was going to plant clover, I would do it without the grains in order to limit competition for light. Cool season annuals tend to get ahead of clover and shade it out. If your pH and fertility are good, you can also look at alfalfa. There are some adapted varieties for Arkansas that do really well and they can be planted in late winter/early spring. Something else you may want to consider is just keeping a spot disked up. Turkeys like fresh worked ground to scratch in, at least that has been my experience.

· Premium Member
30,925 Posts
I tried some frost seeding last year - with no luck. The clover I planted last fall is up - about 1/2 inch high - not tall enough to do anything yet. Wheat will grow - at least a little - as long as it is above 32 degrees. Lots of farmers plant wheat in spring for grazing.

· Premium Member
30,925 Posts
It doesn't matter if the GW shows up or not because that would be considered a normal agricultural practice and the exact scenario has already been beaten in court.
As long as the wheat is planted between Aug 15 and April 1st - this is true. Planted after Apr 1, it is not considered a normal farming practice as defined by AR Extension, and would therefor be illegal and considered baiting.

· Registered
9,322 Posts
As long as the wheat is planted between Aug 15 and April 1st - this is true. Planted after Apr 1, it is not considered a normal farming practice as defined by AR Extension, and would therefor be illegal and considered baiting.
I'm sure you're probably correct, it's been a while since I looked at the regs but as I stated there is nothing illegal about the practice itself and it has been beaten in court. However, you should verify the specific planting rates and dates before planting. The warden can write a ticket anytime he wants, that doesn't mean it's going to stand up. They are still going to have to go back and prove when the wheat was sewn which is going be extremely difficult and given the existing precedent, you will most likely beat it in court.

· Banned
20,812 Posts
Just plow up the dirt and don't throw any seed down or turn it under.....and you won't have to worry about GW or going to court to "beat" a baiting ticket.....

My neighbor tried to help me "keep the turkeys around" one year.....by top sowing corn over on my plot...

He had a BUNCH of corn sittin' on his plot opening morning....and the GW came for a visit too.....

He didn't think I'd go try to roost a turkey the evening before.....found the corn and got to work with the front end loader......

I heard him yelling up on the hill.....I snickered a little.....

· Registered
9,322 Posts
Houdini,

If your completely legal, as you would be in the aforementioned scenario, you shouldn't have to worry about beating a baiting ticket in the first place. Wardens writing tickets because they can makes them a bigger outlaw than a baiter IMO. For the record, I've never done this during turkey season but I have hunted over several dove fields that were LEGALLY planted in this manner.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.