Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
8,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went squirrel hunting yesterday for the first time in a while and I have to say, I missed it. My dad and I used to hunt 2-3 times a year back when I was a kid and would get a few. I remember it being earlier in the year usually right after the first frost. I would like to get in a few more hunts before season goes out, so whats some good late season tactics? In the past and yesterday my tactic has always been, walk some, sit for 10-15 minutes and if I don't see anything walk some more, and repeat process.

· Registered
56 Posts
That used to be my tactic too, until I discovered the world of dog hunting. My 10 year old son and I love to hear the dog on tree. Don't have to be quiet and just good fellowship with friends and family. Love my fiest!

· Registered
953 Posts
I go in the woods with a 20 gauge and a dove stool and do the same, I have to say late season, I tend to get skunked alot. I don't make any grand efforts though. I'm finding alot of the nests I'm seeing are abandoned - at least according to the old vine shaking test.

· Registered
7,181 Posts
Squirrels spend a lot of time on the ground this time of year. You may be looking too high up. When they get high in the trees, it is because they are spooked. Use binoculars and search the tree forks and limbs while you are sitting.

· Registered
9,349 Posts
Went squirrel hunting yesterday for the first time in a while and I have to say, I missed it. My dad and I used to hunt 2-3 times a year back when I was a kid and would get a few. I remember it being earlier in the year usually right after the first frost. I would like to get in a few more hunts before season goes out, so whats some good late season tactics? In the past and yesterday my tactic has always been, walk some, sit for 10-15 minutes and if I don't see anything walk some more, and repeat process.

Still/stalk hunting this time of year is rough...... no leaves=they see you a long way off. Seeing squirrels this time of year is easy.......killing them? not so much.

Some people use a .22 this time of year just for that reason......... if I really wanted to kill a limit I'd go get on one of my deer stands.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.