Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Later in season when ducks start getting spooky and call shy and dont want much to do with spreads , what are some different things you do to try tricking them into coming in or to stay somewhat interested in your spread? No matter what kind of duck it is, ducks that just don't want to be called to or take one look at your set up and just turn and go other direction can get frustrating. Gadwalls in my own personal experience have just about always been the worst at this when I've been hunting. Have had them circle 15-20 times like they were gonna drop in any minute but all of sudden turn and go other way then may come back & repeat whole process again. What are some of the things yall do to try to make ducks wanna commit or stay interested while trying not to call at them very loud or much but still try making your set up as natural looking and have movement on water

·
Banned
6,084 Posts
Small definitely seems to work better late in the season. We field hunt and we have killed quite a few late season over
5 decoys or less. One will probably work most times late season as long as it's on a string and doesn't require batteries.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Ducks tend to head to thicker cover later in the season, at least by my observations. Find some thicker, more out of the way places the majority of folks are to lazy to try to get to. Put decoys along the edge of holes and off in the brush rather than in the middle. You can get on some really good hunts if you put in a little effort and get away from folks.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Small definitely seems to work better late in the season. We field hunt and we have killed quite a few late season over
5 decoys or less. One will probably work most times late season as long as it's on a string and doesn't require batteries.
I knew a guy who killed a lot of greenhead limits by himself with one hen mallard decoy. Those lonely, single greenheads work pretty good when looking for the ladies. He never landed any big flocks doing it and it was rarely a quick hunt. But if you don't mind enjoying the peace and quiet of the outdoors by yourself it's not a bad way to go.

·
Registered
195 Posts
The spinners gotta stay home. Go with a dozen or less of the most realistic decoys you can find. When you get some lookers, put your kazoo in your pocket and let the decoys work their magic.

The posts above this one are the best advice you'll ever see on this board.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.