Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had about given up on hunting for the year, but checked the camera today and had two big bucks on camera. One I thought had been killed. So I went walking and discovered three pretty fresh rubs and a very large scrape that seemed to be being used still ( no leaves in it).

Is anyone else seeing activity still, just the other day I had a 4 and 5 point fighting, I have never seen any of this stuff like this this late in the season before. It surprised me and definitely got me fired up again in hopes of filling my second buck tag on one of the big boys!:thumb:

· Registered
2,715 Posts
I saw a ton of fresh rubs and scrapes last week. Must have been the "third rut " . This area has a lot of does. Must have been a couple of big bucks competing for rights to the last does to come into season. Hunted Sun. eve... saw 0

· Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This time last year bucks were starting to lose antlers. with them still rubbing and fighting I would take it that those horns are going be on there while longer. At least hopefully! I can only hunt weekends here on out b/c of college...

· Registered
1,134 Posts
had an accomplished deer hunter tell me that on his lease this past weekend he found more fresh buck sign in one area than they had had all season. I think it is young does coming in late that gets them fired up. I have heard that a buck can breed anytime of the year, with or without antlers. Sure his hormones are lower but I guess the right smell is always the right smell........

· Registered
8,602 Posts
Saw this happen several years ago when we had conditions like we do this year. With things being as they have, a great food supply and hardly any weather that would normally stress deer, the more dominate bucks in particiular & they are in great shape for this time of the year. Health animials just operate longer & better than those that are stressed do, doe's & bucks alike. I remember a couple of things about that year, we saw a couple of nice bucks that still had horns in March when we were turkey scouting and we also had one of the best fawn crops we ever had in this area that year also. And also for all you Thunder Chicken chasers this could spell good news for us, that was also one of the best spring turkey seasons I can ever remember, them birds were fat & heavy and fat turkeys goggle good, so here's hoping history repeats itself on all fronts!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.