Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you plant for late season doves. My sunflowers are gone after early October. I would like something that might stand until the winter season. Milo? They will really hit beans if the deer have not got them all.

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
There was some row cropped standing milo next to one of our stands that the farmer had moisture problems and didn't get harvested till Dec.

I thought it would be full of all sorts of birds but it really wasn't for some reason? YMMV.

On second though the doves and deer did hit it after he harvested.

·
Premium Member
8,678 Posts
Besides sunflowers, what do you plant for opening day? How do you get around the "baiting" issue?

·
Premium Member
26,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Besides sunflowers, what do you plant for opening day? How do you get around the "baiting" issue?
I only plant sunflowers for opening day. But, in the past, I have top sown wheat up to 240 lbs per acre - after 15 Aug. Normal farming practice.:up:

·
Premium Member
8,678 Posts
So I have a spot I want to plant this year, maybe two acres at best. Any GW worth his salt would know I would not be farming them. Is it one of those things they just "overlook"?

·
Super Moderator
7,070 Posts
You do not have to be farming just normal farming practice. It has to do with seed per area to keep people from heavy seeding to attract birds.

·
Premium Member
26,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Planting – Planting grain crops in a field that has been plowed and disked (including topsewn or aerially seeded wheat fields) is legal as long as seeding rates are in tune with extension service recommendations. It is illegal to seed the same field repeatedly, concentrate wheat in long rows or pile wheat on a field.

Food plots – It is legal to plant food plots, provided that grains grown for wildlife management purposes are not harvested then returned to the field.

http://search.uaex.edu:80/viewer/in...essionid=846d97d4-90b1-4b98-8c90-24deab0cdfac

·
Premium Member
26,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When is best time to plant the sunflower?
I plant peredovic. Broadcast and drug in. May 1st. 12 lbs acre. The ground needs to be clean under the flowers if possible. I wait until the flowers are about knee high and spray Arrow for grass and put 75lbs ammonium nitrate. This year I am going to use a pre-emergent.

·
Registered
105 Posts
SwampCat, I have never planted sesame but some of the farmers in NE Arkanasa did this yr for first time. They did not cut it until Dec. Now some of the reasoning behind cutting it so late was moisture content. Did hold seed well late and I thought to myself it would make a good late season dove food source. I'll tell you it grew really tall and look like it would make a great screen and I plan on planting some this yr for screening purposes. You might also try planting late buckwheat so it matures right before last frost.

·
Registered
704 Posts
The best late season dove hunt (Christmas Day) I have ever been on was over a freshly bush hogged field of.... Goat Weed!!!

The doves were on it like a baited wheat field, absolutely could not shoot them off it!

Had no idea they liked or would eat those seeds.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts