Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My youngest is always hunting for a buck… until the first good doe steps out! But this season he said he was going to hold out until he finally got some antlers.
There have been a couple of bucks around that he was hoping for a chance at. One was a 5 point that shows up every single time he ISN’T hunting. And the other is a very large busted up 6 point. Other than those, there hasn’t been much on camera except one decent 8 point that showed up one time at night and hasn’t been seen since. Well, today he showed up.
We were watching some does and yearlings at the feeder on the shooting lane about 100 yards west of us. About 7:15, I see this guy coming straight toward us on my south shooting lane. He takes a left turn into the thicket, so I know he’s headed for the does.
I woke my boy up and told him to get ready there was a buck coming. I said, “When he steps out, don’t look at the antlers. Just focus on your spot.” He stepped out and I hit the grunt call and all I hear is my boy saying, “Holy cow!” And I figure we’re about to blow it right there.
I waited for what seems forever for him to take the shot and he finally did. He dropped right there and flopped for a few seconds, then forgot he wasn’t dead and ran about 30 yards until he remembered again that he was indeed dead. We got to watch him pile up. 8 point 17” inside.
I haven’t touched a trigger yet, but I couldn’t be happier.
Remington 600 Mohawk .243. About 80 yards. Chip shot, and I was glad it was.

Trophy hunting Plant Hunting Deer hunting Tree

·
Registered
Bow
8,325 Posts
My youngest is always hunting for a buck… until the first good doe steps out! But this season he said he was going to hold out until he finally got some antlers.
There have been a couple of bucks around that he was hoping for a chance at. One was a 5 point that shows up every single time he ISN’T hunting. And the other is a very large busted up 6 point. Other than those, there hasn’t been much on camera except one decent 8 point that showed up one time at night and hasn’t been seen since. Well, today he showed up.
We were watching some does and yearlings at the feeder on the shooting lane about 100 yards west of us. About 7:15, I see this guy coming straight toward us on my south shooting lane. He takes a left turn into the thicket, so I know he’s headed for the does.
I woke my boy up and told him to get ready there was a buck coming. I said, “When he steps out, don’t look at the antlers. Just focus on your spot.” He stepped out and I hit the grunt call and all I hear is my boy saying, “Holy cow!” And I figure we’re about to blow it right there.
I waited for what seems forever for him to take the shot and he finally did. He dropped right there and flopped for a few seconds, then forgot he wasn’t dead and ran about 30 yards until he remembered again that he was indeed dead. We got to watch him pile up. 8 point 17” inside.
I haven’t touched a trigger yet, but I couldn’t be happier.
Remington 600 Mohawk .243. About 80 yards. Chip shot, and I was glad it was.

View attachment 379286
Awesome first buck!!! Congratulations to the young man!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts