Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now going on 4 out of 5 years, our duck club has been forced to change locations. Three out of the 4 were due to substantial lease rate increases.

This year however we face a new dilemma...We were just informed that due to complaints from several nearby timber clubs, we will only be allowed to hunt until noon. Afternoon hunting was pressuring "their" birds. We hunted evenings on Saturdays occasionally and counted only two times Sun-Fri during the season. Most of our group drives over 50 miles one way to our lease and were not too excited about the thought of this change.

Why pay 6K + pumping costs per year for a 100 acre field with WMA rules..What's next, only 15 shells per day.

Hence my question for you guys that lease fields....Is it common for land owners to restrict their lessee to morning only hunting?

Duck hunting is one of my few passions, but it is getting harder to justify every year.....

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I hate that for you. Doesn't seem right. This is a prime example of the Gloden Rule..... He who has the gold, rules. Seems pretty sorry, but if you guys didn't lease that field because of the new "regulations", somebody else would.

·
Registered
383 Posts
that sounds like a bunch of BS!!! you are paying for those rights and good money at that I would dump him and find a new place we move leases quite a bit but only to keep the farmers on there toes and only to spots that we have hunted and know the hunting can be better or offers more we have never down graded we now have a plave with 3 blinds over 150acres couple of sloughs and minnnow ponds for only 4000$ between 3 people makes for excellant hunting.

·
Registered
8,480 Posts
I have never heard of such a thing. I guess it is his/her land & they can do what ever they want to do. It sounds like either you are going to have to play ball by their rules if you play on their field or find another field to play on. If I were guessing, I would say the Big Clubs want the field for a rest area or maybe to have to hunt on in the afternoon theirselfs & have allready made the landowner an offer to lease it. For him to even make the kind of un-heard of offer he made you was most likely made to put on a fake good face hoping you and your group would do the logicial thing most people would do & leave. I would be looking for another spot. Most likely you are out after this year even if you take it & if you do take it you will most like have issues with those who want it all season making the whole deal that much more less enjoyable!

I would dump it, but if you have to have it and have no out, Being they are wanting to cut you hunting time in half, if you really want it, make him an offer for what he is leasing you, 100 acres half the time is 3 grand, 100 acres full time in 6!

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
That is what I meant by playing games .........:banghead:... when this Duck leasing thing started I knew that the common hunter was going to lose out.........:mad:....the hunting will go to highest bidder.........and I don't play like that......I farmed all my life and hunted everyday that I was not working for 30+ years and never leased........I did get the farmers/Landowners fields ready and pump water to flood them and drained them after season.........and if the land owner needed help I was there to help.:up: If this trend keeps going in a few years you will not get to hunt anywhere unless you pay dearly for that right.......example Texas.........:smack:

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Most farmers around here would rather their hunters not shoot in the afternoon,simply to keep from moving the ducks out of the area.Unless there is an ABUNDANT food supply:biggrin: in your field 2 or 3 all day shoots will push the ducks away from you. As long as you dont whine when the hunting begins to suck from all day shooting,a few farmers will let you do what you want. That price is about the norm for my area.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I learned this morning that the landowner stated we must end our hunting by 10:30A.M. and clear the area.

Our conclusion is similar to 4hunting's thoughts...Our rich neighbors have made him an offer. Our group struggling to spend 6 - 8k per year will give them what they want...we don't want to fight with them nor can we afford to...

oh well, we will be hunting again this year...that is, hunting for land....:smack:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.