Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad's got 50 acres in oklahoma, about half an hour from Siloam Springs (where I live). My wife's about to get a bit of money and she says I can buy some land. Here's my dilemma: do I try to buy 10 acres that joins dad's property and do my best to turn the whole 50 acres into deer habitat, or do I try to find some land that butts up against the Ozark or Ouachita National Forests? I like the idea of the national forests because I like the idea of very remote wilderness. However, dad's land is probably closer and I know for sure that I can use at least 20 acres of his land for deer hunting. He used to have cattle, so on that 20 acres is about 12 acres of trees and the rest is fescue. We've always seen lots of deer there. But no bears. If I bought land down south, I could try and bait bears out of the national forest and get to hunt bears, which I really want to do. So, I think I'm stuck with 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. What would you do? Dad's land has a massive pond stocked with fish and I might be able to convince him to let me plant switch grass to provide more cover and get the deer to move further away from the woods, and further away from other people's land. As it is, they don't get anywhere near the interior of the 50 acres because it's too open. I can post satellite photos of dad's land if anybody wants to see it.
Jared

·
Registered
14,436 Posts
I think I'd lean toward a place in the national forest unless the 10 next to your dad's 50 is really sweet. Otherwise, what's another 10 acres when you already have 50?
If you've got places in AR and OK, not only can you try to hunt bear, but you can max out your deer season. Our muzzleloader and rifle seasons start a week before OK's. When I still had my lease in Osage co OK, by hunting both states I could hunt from Oct thru Dec and only have to bowhunt about 2-3 weekends if I wanted to.

·
Registered
14,436 Posts
If you can find it, land next a national forest is the way to go. It will be at a premium price though
That's true! I've been been looking for some land here and there. I want something that borders the NF too. I almost sealed the deal on some property bordering the Upper Buffalo Wilderness a few yrs ago, but that's as close as I've come.
However, I've got a lifetime OK license... how much is land going for in NE OK? Seems to me NF bordered land starts at $2000/acre and goes up from there.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Quick Search

There are 28 properties listed through Central AR Multi List as being in or adjacent to a National Forest. 2 Acres @ $12000 to 642 acres to 1,150,000. Some in OK most are in the Mena Area and Polk County.
If you want the list PM me with a real email and turn off your spam filter at 10 this evening and it will be on its way with property description and the Company handling it.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I think I'd lean toward a place in the national forest unless the 10 next to your dad's 50 is really sweet. Otherwise, what's another 10 acres when you already have 50?
If you've got places in AR and OK, not only can you try to hunt bear, but you can max out your deer season. Our muzzleloader and rifle seasons start a week before OK's. When I still had my lease in Osage co OK, by hunting both states I could hunt from Oct thru Dec and only have to bowhunt about 2-3 weekends if I wanted to.
That sounds like a plan right there, I would look around the National Forest you could hunt your dads also. Put up some cameras and feeders to see what is around to hunt. Good luck and good hunting:biggrin:

·
Registered
20,744 Posts
There's no question what I would do.., And that is, I would go with the 10 acres next to dad's land. You stated you always saw lots of deer, and you know there's good numbers of deer there, so you could combine yours with his. Maybe one day it would all be yours. Its closer, and with not knowing what gas will be tommorrow or next year, being close is better than being off. I had rather hunt closer anyways. You got more opportunity to be in the woods.

Other considerations is where you going to be able to camp or stay the night. And I wouldn't hunt a bear if any deer season was in, but thats just me.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I called dad and talked to him and it looks like it's going to be land that border a nat'l forest. Apparently, my memory is failing me, because the little bit of land that I thought was 7 or 10 acres is actually 30. Dad knows this because apparently my grandfather used to own it. Dad had a lawyer call the development company that owns it a few years ago and they wouldn't even return his call. And now I find out that dad's thinking about selling the 50 acres because it's worth more to him sold than just sitting there vacant. (He live here in Siloam Springs where I do) Maybe he's not aware that my brother and I want to inherit it. I'll tell him. Anyway, it looks like my options have been limited to something in the nat'l forest. Problem solved!
Jared

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hi Jared,

You might be better off hunting near the national forest anyway. I agree with the person who said what's ten more when you already have fifty, ten near the national forest would give you two great places to hunt.

There are places in both the Ozark and Ouachita National Forests that receive little hunting pressure. Hard to believe maybe, but true. Do a little research. Watch the areas during modern rifle season, you'll see. For example, I live in NW Arkansas but travel to central Arkansas every four weeks or so to take care of my mother. I have discovered several areas right along the highway that receive little pressure, yet are easy to get to.

Land bordering or near the forests aren't as expensive as you might think, just look around a bit. In a location where you see land bordering the forest at 2k per acre, land just a mile or two away might only be 1k. I have a specific area in mind when I tell you this, so know that I am not speculating.

Good luck.

Spot

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dad says the land next to his is worth 3-5K an acre, so 2K an acre isn't really that expensive to me. Especially if I can talk to a few who know and find some land that is in a good spot to draw deer and bear. My big decision is how much land? I'm hoping 5 acres would be enough. Baiting isn't legal in the nat'l forest, but is i legal to hunt with a centerfire rifle or slug gun?
Jared

·
Registered
873 Posts
I would suggest you make sure you look into the amount of hunting pressure next to the land you are considering to purchase. I had a couple friends find a "real deal" on some 10 acres adjacent to NF. They put a lot of time and effort getting a good camp set up. They awoke on opening day to find over a dozen trucks parked within .25 mile of their land. Needless to say, the locals already had stuck their claim on the prime hunting spots.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good advice on hunting pressure near the land I'll look at. The only way I can think of to get that done is to locate the properties I'm interested in and when deer season opens up, and drive to the property and see how many vehicles are there. If I had the time and money to make the trip, I'd buy some land from rockmountaintimber.com way up in Montana or Wyoming.
Jared

·
Registered
11,695 Posts
Just my two cents, but down south say scott county, Mena or around Muddy Creek area is so run over by poachers that having land next to it would be pretty pointless in my opinion. The guys (not all) over there pretty much ignore boarders and those pesky game and fish rules. I would get the land next to my dads.

·
Super Moderator
9,834 Posts
Post up those aerial photos! Whether I can give you good advice by looking at em I can't guarantee, but I always like learning and deciding on hunting grounds by looking at em from above. :thumb:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.