Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be going to lake degray in 2 weeks to do some bass and crappie fishing. I've never fished it and was just wondering what I can expect and maybe some tips about locating fish this time or year and such! Thanks!

·
Registered
318 Posts
For bass, find some rocky bluffs and throw the A-rig if you got one, if not, throw a deep diving crank bait. For crappie, look for red paint on trees around the shore. Game&Fish puts out crappie beds and marks the trees on the shore. Just pull up to the marked tree and go straight out from there and look for the bed on your sonar. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll sure try that. By rocky bluffs, do you mean like straight deep drop offs by the bluffs or like a gradual rocky bank

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I've only fished it this time of year once we caught then in I'd say around 8-10 foot of water around rocks

·
Registered
318 Posts
I always have luck on the straight deep drop offs, but the main rule on Degray for bass is to fish rocks. Make sure to hit the points leading to the bluffs, and pay special attention to where the rock changes. Like where it goes from being giants slabs of rock into smaller rocks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
We throw gray hair jigs this time of year if the water is below 55 degrees and usually do good. We tie our own on a 3/16 lead head and use 8 lb test. Hit the bluff walls and rocky points and fish them slow. The water will probably still be cold by the time you go, so the fish should still be in their winter pattern. A suspending rogue should be productive also. I use a Smithwick suspending rogue most of the time because they are effective and cost a 1/3 of the cost for some of the others. Should we get a significant warm up and the water temps rise, then things could change rather quick. The fish will start moving toward the spawn areas and may be up shallower. Some may be deep and some will be moving shallow. You'll just have to hunt for them. If you don't have any gray hair jigs, I'll give some to try. I'm in Saline County 15 minutes west of I 430 out Lawson Road.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If your going to be there and want to have a great time check to see if white bass are spawning if they are head up the lake towards the amity landing and throw a sassy shad on a road runner you will catch your limit and have a blast

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Big rogues, I would not be afraid to throw jerk baits along the bluff. Bubble gum pink for small mouth. Bill Dance fat free shad, I had never bought one, found it in a tree top but it does catch fish. Anywhere there is a bluff to gravel transition.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
The lake side of the points, should be pretty good on the windy side of the lake, and the back of the coves if the weather is warm and sunny.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts