Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
How high is the water there? Last time I was out there, it seemed a good two feet higher than normal. But the water line on the trees from recent floods was five feet higher.

Tough lake to navigate, some good fishing once you figure it out. I have seen some HUGE Fish come out of there. But I have only put one in the boat. Well two if you could catfish.

Robert

·
Registered
23,321 Posts
I haven't been in a while but I can tell ya it's narrow and deep for the kinda of lake it is. I've only fished it on up in the hot part of the summer mostly using buzz bait's, snake baits and other types of top water stuff. Don't be surprised to catch a bass that will reach double digits on the scale either.:thumb:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Just finished a story on the "surprise" big bass spots in Arkansas. Carl Perrin is the fisheries biologist for the district where Barnett is. He said there are usually one or two 10-12 pounders caught there each year. Funny thing is, when I asked the state black bass biologist, he said that Floridas had not been stocked there since the 1980s. So, something good must be going on there. I know that the water is said to be progressively deeper from the upper end toward the dam. At the dam, it is said to be 50 feet plus in depth. Supposed to be some good fishing for largemouths, catfish, crappie and redear. There's lot of flooded timber, so be careful not to knock a hole in your boat by running over a stump. Give Mr. Perrin a call and he can probably steer you onto some fish better than me.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Is that lake around searcy?

It is about 11 miles north of Beebe on Highway 31 just past Floyd. I have not been there this year but I have caught some nice bass there. From the Hwy 31 ramp go left under the bridge toward the creek and fish across from the bluff in the lilly pads with your favorite worm (Culprit 7.5inch moccasin or crawdad) or some crawfish imitation. There are other places and techniques to use but this is the first I would try now if the lake is even close to normal level. Then I would fish topwater in the narrow stretch toward the dam. I probably would not fish much in the large area near the dam right now unless I found shallow water right now. Just off the boat ramp back toward the other ramp, there is a grass line. Fish it with finesse worms for several bass, probably not much size there but alot of fun. Flog the area just out from the boat ramp with white spinner baits and you may get some nice crappie.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I have never seen this lake, but it is where I was thinking about taking a guy I work with who hasn't done much if any fishing. Would it be an ok lake to sit in the boat and fish with bobbers and crickets just to let him catch something?

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
I have never tried that there but I would expect it to be good for that. Probably if you go under the bridge along the old creek channel, you may be able to find some bream. There is a little bait shop in Floyd right across the road from Moose's Country Store that may be able to give you some information. Also there is a place just before you get to the boat ramp on Hwy 31 that advertises long term camping, that is Mr. Barnett. He can tell you what the fish are doing and where they are doing it. He is a nice gentleman and probably wouldn't mind if you stop and ask him.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Not much catching going on there today. Some crappie are being caught in 4 feet of water on minnows. Some catfish being caught but I don't know exactly where. The water temp today was 69. Try it next week. Should be in the low 70's

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.