Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had one plot of clover last year-> http://s203.photobucket.com/albums/aa230/knightsweats/?action=view&current=000_0097-1.jpg this picture was from about this same time last year. by middle of july that plot was eaten down to ground and burned up in 40 day draught. last fall i planted another plot of ladino, turkey and deer went to it just as soon as it came up in late august. this spring it bloomed and made a heavy thick mass of clover. in april i planted 2 more plots of ladino one 1/2 acre and re-seeded the burned up plot 3/4 acre. just before bow season i will plant rye, the young deer love the taste of rye after getting weaned. rye is cheap to plant and easy to grow and best of all it inhibits weed growth so your plots stay pretty much weed free. if you never tried ladino <giant white clover> have a look, you might be surprised:thumb:

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
i had one plot of clover last year-> http://s203.photobucket.com/albums/aa230/knightsweats/?action=view&current=000_0097-1.jpg this picture was from about this same time last year. by middle of july that plot was eaten down to ground and burned up in 40 day draught. last fall i planted another plot of ladino, turkey and deer went to it just as soon as it came up in late august. this spring it bloomed and made a heavy thick mass of clover. in april i planted 2 more plots of ladino one 1/2 acre and re-seeded the burned up plot 3/4 acre. just before bow season i will plant rye, the young deer love the taste of rye after getting weaned. rye is cheap to plant and easy to grow and best of all it inhibits weed growth so your plots stay pretty much weed free. if you never tried ladino <giant white clover> have a look, you might be surprised:thumb:
I'm with you. Deer love clover. I've always gotten my best stands of clover if I plant the 1st two weeks of September. Depending on rain of course.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Do you disk your foot plot up when you go to plant the rye grass???
we always disk and plant our wheat and oats, then cover and overseed with
the landino and rye grass without covering. Plant the rye grass right before a rain and it
will grow just fine on top of the ground.

firecat is right.....the clover will last well into spring and deer will
eat it all winter:up:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.