Lab training tips??

Discussion in 'Huntin' Dogs' started by bowhunter3, Dec 17, 2012.

1. bowhunter3

bowhunter3 Well-Known Member

I will be getting a full blooded chocolate female lab in a couple of weeks when they are old enuff to leave there mom. The mom and dad come from a good blood line but neither of them were trained to hunt. My question is without sending a dog off to a training school what is the easest way to train a dog for duck hunting? What are some things i shouldnt do and things i should do to train her the right way? Thanks.

2. Texan44

Texan44 Well-Known Member

Go purchase the book " Water Dog " do exactly Wat he says.... it absolutely works!!!

3. Jimbo1

Jimbo1 Well-Known Member

Go purchase the book " Water Dog " do exactly Wat he says.... it absolutely works!!!

X2 I would get the DVD. It will show you what to do and how to do it. You won't start traing for a few weeks but I would get a wing from a duck and start getting it to retrieve. You want your dog to have a strong desire to retrieve. If the dog won't retrieve it won't make a very good duck dog.

4. BowHunter21

BowHunter21 Select Member<br>2015-16 Deer Hunting Contest Winn

Sheridan
    Work with em daily and be consistent on all u do

5. Ducks and Dogs

Ducks and Dogs Well-Known Member

This...

Even if only a little, it goes a long ways

And in my opinion the best and most thorough books/DVDs are the smartworks series...

http://www.rushcreekpress.com/

6. bowhunter3

bowhunter3 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. Yea i heard about the "water dog" dvd. I will probably end up buying that. Im excited about getting this dog. The last full blooded lab i had my ex wife let it get out the back yard and someone stole it. At 10 weeks old i already had her pickin up my doves i shot and bring them to me. Thanks for the help and advice.

7. cuppedup

cuppedup Well-Known Member

8. wood duck whacker

wood duck whacker Well-Known Member

I don't see how dog training can be dated? Maybe because no shock collars yada yada. If you follow the book you won't need shock collars and its much more economical. Haha plus I think collar training a dog takes some of the bond you develope with he dog by being completely hands on.

9. Ducks and Dogs

Ducks and Dogs Well-Known Member

110% DISagree with your collar statement!

99% of the people don't understand how to use a collar. When used correctly it is the most beneficial and fairest way to teach a dog, again when used correctly.

And I guarantee u no one has a closer bond than me and mine and all were trained with collars.

10. wood duck whacker

wood duck whacker Well-Known Member

I agree most people don't know how to properly use one.

11. chevyduckhunt

chevyduckhunt Well-Known Member

Look on Avery outdoors website and the have a dog training starter kit. It comes with a video, a bag, some dummies, leash and heeling stick.

12. pointman

pointman Well-Known Member

Get you a couple duck wings. I always start mine off with em early