Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are thinking of getting a Lab this Year sometime, we have a child due Aug. 10th. Does this matter? Also what are some things about Labs I should look for? I am NOT spending $600 on a pup :wink:, 1/2 that maybe. My best friends bought a black lab, and she was like the best dog ever, she got ran over the other day, 8 months old and smartest thing I ever saw. She didn't have a "block head" as folks call it. Is that something they "should" have? Anyway don't know where they got her, so anywho any help would be great!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Lab answers hopefully

I have two labs myself. One is a Black Lab female, she is a great dog around children and she is very playful. I also have a Chocholate male lab.He is wonderful not quite as active as the black lab but playful nun the less. Both are great around Kids. The chocholate has a so called block head but I was told that it doesn't matter. I was also told that you might want to look at the way their hips are. I know when mine lay down they actually cross their back legs. It is supposed to be a good sign, but not for sure. Hopefully I could help a little.

·
Registered
101 Posts
You can find many great pups for less than $600.00.

With the questions you are asking, you are basically going to get opinion answers,

Block heads? I really don't like them, but many do...as far as the baby, you just need to make sure the dog knows the true pecking order, they really could grow up together, that could be neat.

Are you wanting a dog that hunts or just a pet?

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
just remember that you'll be dealing with pretty much two puppies(the dog and your baby) and accidents will happen. My lab was 5 when our first baby came home and he's been a absolute saint around the boy and our new little girl.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Just make sure you can spend some time with the puppy too. Our lab loves kids and I have personally never had one that was otherwise. Ours now lets monstermans little one climb all over him and TRY to ride him, he just wags is tail and butt and about knocks him over, but little man just gets up and laughs it off. Labs are GREAT kid pets. The only bad thing and that is a realative term depending on how you take is that a buddy of mine had a male lab that would not let strangers around his baby unless he or his wife were physically with them. Dog never bit anyone that i know of, but usually got between you and the crib or whereever little one was. I personally don't see that as bad, or even a breed thing, but just something to be aware of.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts