Kings River?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Recreation' started by ArkArcher, Dec 18, 2017.

1. ArkArcher

ArkArcher Moderator Staff Member

3 friends and I do a 2 or 3 days fish/camp/float trip later each spring. This past spring we did Crooked Creek. Had a blast and caught some great fish! We try to target trophy type smallmouth streams. This coming spring we are looking at doing the Kings river. Anyone out there with experience on that river? We like to get 2 nights out on the river (camping on gravel bars) so what stretch would be good for that? We were planning on getting 2 nights on Crooked, but ended up finishing the evening of the 2nd day. It was our first time on that creek so we fished faster than we had anticipated. Anyway, primary focus is fishing for smallmouth. 2nd is camping and having fun.

Any info is appreciated.
  2. sricen

sricen Super Member<br>2014-15 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

We will be using these folks this year, probably around early June. I'm sure they could give you the information you need.

3. ArkArcher

Cool thanks. I have looked at their site a number of times. :) We are looking at late May or early June as well. May see you on the river!
  4. bagofdonuts

bagofdonuts Well-Known Member

I've done it a few times. It varies greatly on the flow but the upper part was my favorite. Starting at marble and ending at rockhouse, where kings river outfitters is located is a good two day trip and would be my choice, if water allows. Looks like a little buffalo river, lots of nice bluffs and places to camp. Caught this one on a overnight in that stretch a few years back. Picture 009.jpg
  5. ArkArcher

Great! Thanks for the info! We did really good on Crooked Creek last year on an over night float. We caught a ton of fish and 4 of us in the group and we each caught one over 3 lbs.

Do you catch a lot of fish on the Kings? or are they more spread out than a place like Crooked? Just curious. Thanks again!
  6. newton29

newton29 Well-Known Member

I have floated Rock House to Trigger Gap a couple of times. Caught fish, but you'd be better off for numbers on Crooked Creek again IMO. I've caught my biggest smallies on the lower Buffalo, but don't go on the weekend unless you like traffic.
  7. ArkArcher

Thanks for the info. We will try Kings this year (may get in another Crooked Creek trip this year too). But Kings for a change of scenery.