Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have allowed the sage brush to grow and it’s awesome nesting cover as well as the does love to leave their fawns in it while the feed. Problem is the sage tends to seed out and I get it in my clover.

Now the problem is what can I use to kill the sage popping up in my clover. I’ve been told Clethadine will not kill brooms sage, but then I’ve seen where if you apply a higher dose it will. I’ve been told glyphosate will kill brooms sage but will not kill white clover. Depending on when you spray no late summer spraying.

So basically I’m confused as heck. Anyone got any experience killing sage brush popping up in clover?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I didnt think the IMI’s (imazethapyr, imazamox, etc) had much activity on broomsedge. Broomsedge is a tough one. As mentioned above, your ground probably needs a couple tons of lime per acre. Thats the long term fix. Short term, you may want to wait until the clover goes dormant, then hammer the broomsedge (which isnt a sedge at all, its a brome grass) with a shot of glyphosate. MSMA also has activity, but doesnt translocate, so thats not the best (plus not labelled for this use). Clethodim, sethoxydim, fluazifop, and others may have some activity at high rates when the grass is very small.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
The ph approach is supposed to be the magic bullet but I know of people who have been applying lime for almost 10 years and haven’t seen a significant improvement. Burning and glyphosate are the two best approaches I’ve heard of and they are low on the control rating. It is a terrible problem with no really good answer. It does seem though the first couple of years behind tillage it is nearly invisible. In pastures there has been some success with feeding hay in concentrated areas and where the cows have made a loblolly it has seriously reduced the pressure. If you find an approach that is very successful please post it. It is giving me fits too.

·
Registered
20,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I didnt think the IMI’s (imazethapyr, imazamox, etc) had much activity on broomsedge. Broomsedge is a tough one. As mentioned above, your ground probably needs a couple tons of lime per acre. Thats the long term fix. Short term, you may want to wait until the clover goes dormant, then hammer the broomsedge (which isnt a sedge at all, its a brome grass) with a shot of glyphosate. MSMA also has activity, but doesnt translocate, so thats not the best (plus not labelled for this use). Clethodim, sethoxydim, fluazifop, and others may have some activity at high rates when the grass is very small.
I am going to burn and spray the surrounding plot with glyphosate just to keep it from seeding in my clover . The stuff out in my clover , I’m going to try high dose of clethodim and spot spray. If that doesn’t work I’ll use glyphosate, some folks say clover has a tolerance of low dose of glyphosate. I just don’t want to kill any clover and if I do on spot spraying I think it will fill back in.

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,475 Posts
My crimson clover is starting up, you cant hardly see it yet for the sage grass…I will be physically able to brush-hog it in a week or 3, and when it comes back up, I will mow it and bale it, next winter Im gonna burn off both my pastures!

·
Registered
27 Posts
From someone who has been in the chemical and application business a long time, I’ve never known white clover to have a tolerance to glyphosate. Maybe at 8-12 oz per acre. But I can say that the rates it takes to be effective on broomsedge, its going to kill your clover. Thats why I recommend waiting until the clover goes dormant and then treating the broomsedge with a stout enough dose of glyphosate to kill it.
Also just a note of caution if you decide to use a graminicide: use a crop oil or MSO with it at 1%. Using a NIS will result in unfavorable results - it just wont work with those herbicides.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts