killing a nocturnal buck

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by shady grove, Nov 30, 2012.

1. When is the best time to kill a nocturnal buck:

1. Early season

2. During the rut

3. Late season

Lets hear what ya'll think.

2. Terrym72

Terrym72 Well-Known Member

I would think during the rut . Or on a full moon night lol

3. jnjrup

jnjrup Well-Known Member

:whistle:With night vision and a silencer...lol:whistle: The rut or late season on food really

4. plumber

plumber Well-Known Member

YELL
    Late December will be your best chance. The bucks are getting grouped back together, and are focused on food. When them young bucks are coming into the corn pile, there will be a good chance ole big boy will be with em. Good luck

5. xforce-deathstick

xforce-deathstick Well-Known Member

malvern
    x2

6. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I think mid season during the peak of the rut. You have two things going for you - he MIGHT lose his mind for a second and chase a hot doe right in front of you, and, lots of other folks in the woods means a chance on of them might jump him and he comes by you heading for other cover.

7. hortonhunter

hortonhunter Well-Known Member

nea
    Another vote for late season, after the rut,when they're having to feed back up

8. megabucks

megabucks Member<br>2011 Turkey Contest Winner

late season, you can pattern him on the food source.

9. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

NE Ark
    I was thinking about 2AM with a Q Beam and suppressed 22. :biggrin:

10. RAZOR_DEER

RAZOR_DEER Well-Known Member

Late season on a gray misty or rainy day. They tend to linger longer on those mornings.

11. OuachitaMtnMan

OuachitaMtnMan Well-Known Member

Arkansas
    In my experience with nocturnal bucks, they seem to get even more so in late season. I'd say during the rut. Another thing I've seen is that they become less nocturnal the older they get so at 6yrs old, he's liable to start making more mistakes.

12. 7 point

7 point Well-Known Member

That's the way we used to do it :)

13. gregrn43

gregrn43 Well-Known Member

NEA
    I've got the same problem with a buck I have been chasing for 3 years now. I could have shot him when he was a really nice 2yr but chose to pass and let him grow some. The next year I saw him a lot less and never had a shot opportunity. Last year he turned into a 140 class or better and never laid eyes on him. This year it looks like he put on 20 inches of more bone, hes a real toad now. I get night pics of him, but thats it. His body is huge and it doesnt look like he has been putting much effort into the rut. I would really love to put a tag on this rascal, but I'm gonna need a lot more luck and for him to slip up once. Saw lots of bucks this year chasing, but he was never one of them. I try to keep it low key and not over hunt it. I always make sure the wind is right. I plant 5 acres of beans and have several deer come out before dark in august and eat. He still wont step out till after dark. All I know to do is keep going and hope he slips up.

14. turkeyhunter

turkeyhunter Premium Member<br>2006 Turkey Team Contest Winner<

Sept is your best chance.

15. turkeyhunter

turkeyhunter Premium Member<br>2006 Turkey Team Contest Winner<

The big deer I hunt never chase in the daytime.

16. Gutshooter

Gutshooter Well-Known Member

Late season after an inch of snow!

17. mikebri

mikebri Well-Known Member

I don't know, never have seen a real mature deer; they get shot young, including myself.:shrug:

18. cvan

cvan Well-Known Member

Based on my experience and lot's of trail cam pics. I would say the best time is the last week of October and the 1st week of November.

19. ranger481

ranger481 Well-Known Member

Turn the dogs loose.

20. I was just going to say, REmember when we ran dogs. No one ever said a thing about nockturnal bucks.