Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you experienced long range shooting with a crossbow?

A month I was inspired to shoot longer distances because some of my friends were trying 80 yards. I tried it a bit before but never enough to learn much.
To start I began shooting at 40 yards then worked up. I wanted to confirm my Ripper 415 and Hawke XB30 Compact scope were tuned to the scopes reticle scheme which range is 10-100 yards with one unknown bottom posts.
Soon I found that I had discover something special with the equipment and my skills.

Yes! My Ripper and Hawke scope are tuned to the max.

I hope you enjoy this as much as I did making it happen. Maybe it will inspire some of you to give long range crossbow shooting a try. It is a thrill to way 0.84 seconds for the arrow to hit the target and watch hit bullseye. The arrow drop is about 96 inches starting at 400 fps.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
TTARK-Nice shooting! I have a Ravin 10 that has 10-100 yards marks on the scope & have shot the bulls eye @ 70 yards but haven’t tried a longer shot. I feel confident that a deer would hear the crossbow when fired at 100 yards & react enough to compromise the shot & miss or worse wound him. My Ravin shoots 400 FPS so it would take about 3/4 of a second at 100 yards.

Good luck TTARK this fall!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TTARK-Nice shooting! I have a Ravin 10 that has 10-100 yards marks on the scope & have shot the bulls eye @ 70 yards but haven’t tried a longer shot. I feel confident that a deer would hear the crossbow when fired at 100 yards & react enough to compromise the shot & miss or worse wound him. My Ravin shoots 400 FPS so it would take about 3/4 of a second at 100 yards.

Good luck TTARK this fall!
Congrats on your shooting with your Ravin.

Shooting long range hunting isn't my main purpose. The style of practice is just to help me when I have shot at game. Less than 50 yard shot should be made easier.
I like it because it is entertaining and it's something I wanted to try since I bought the bow over two years ago. I was inspired recently to give it a try. Now I am confident I can do it often.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also I wanted to know what the bottom post of my scope represented in range.
This was done before about 3 weeks before the clips above. It takes a full second for the arrow impact at 400 fps initial speed with a 425gr arrow arcing 139 inches.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have fun and be safe. Update me on your fine shooting experience.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts